Makin' Meat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Makin' Meat

Post by JimT »

Spent the afternoon cutting and grinding venison. We had boned the meat out and then frozen it hard. When we went to grind it we used the chop saw to cut the frozen meat, ran it through a coarse grind and then a fine grind. Came out perfect. Got about 20 pounds of ground venison. Four pounds of it is cooking for chili right now.
IMG_2761.JPG
IMG_2762.JPG
IMG_2763.JPG
Cutting the meat with the chop saw produced a lot of venison sawdust. We gathered about 2 pounds of it to add to the dogs food. The dogs were hanging around getting all the bits and parts they could while we were cutting and grinding.
IMG_2764.JPG
IMG_2767.JPG
Great fun was had by all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Makin' Meat

Post by Grizz »

Jim great photos. You are the first person, besides me, that I have seen using the chop saw that way. Our other main tool is the recip saw with 10 or 12 inch blade.

Made my mouth water, but I know it's all gone by now. LOL
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

No sir Grizz. This was just a few hours ago. We have chili cookin' .... c'mon down!
We have another deer to do tomorrow .. he was a big ole boy.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So that's why its called a CHOP saw!! :lol:
Friend of mine once used a chainsaw to halve a deer. Left a line of meat on the wall !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! I really hope I have to do that soon, but the prospects aren't looking great on my property if the last week is any indication.
I did shoot a coyote......but them ain't as good eatin. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Some home made chili sounds real good right now....

I once went to a sausage making party. We processed about 300 lbs of pork into various sausage recipes. It was neat time. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Lookin' good Jim. Makes my mouth water. We have a big old grinder that came out of wife's grandfather's store up in Kansas. Doesn't gum up so bad when the meats frozen does it? We're full up on beef right now but will make room for venison soon. I need deer to make chili. Or burro.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

M. M. Wright wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:44 pm Lookin' good Jim. Makes my mouth water. We have a big old grinder that came out of wife's grandfather's store up in Kansas. Doesn't gum up so bad when the meats frozen does it? We're full up on beef right now but will make room for venison soon. I need deer to make chili. Or burro.
I have been partial to burro myself.
I cut out the backstraps and the took the hindquarters and had to make two trips from the hills to the house to haul it all in. Make some good tacos and tamales!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Does it burn the meat?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

kaschi wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:29 pm Does it burn the meat?
No. Not a bit.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

My wife is not fond of deer meat....so I still have quite a bit in the freezer. I think I'll make some chili though. This cooler weather is perfect for chili and cornbread.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:18 pm My wife is not fond of deer meat....so I still have quite a bit in the freezer. I think I'll make some chili though. This cooler weather is perfect for chili and cornbread.
we used to highgrade the tenderloins and back straps, brine them a bit, and cold smoke for a couple of days. they turn into something like soft candy, amazingly delicious. we used alder because it's everywhere in s.e. but your favorite smoke will do well. but no heat, OK?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim, beans or no beans? :D I prefer with beans and sometimes combine different types like small red and black beans (one of my favorites) then add diced chili's, bell peppers and onions. A little dark chocolate adds a smoothness to the texture. I'm thinking of making a chorizo/habanero chili next. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Well .. I was told "There are no beans in real chili."
Ask a Texan.
:D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Saw that coming a mile off! :lol: Just thought I would ask! -Tutt

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That's a good story Ray. Thank you for it! I have no "dog" in this fight about chili with, or without beans really. I just like mine better with beans and other vegetable ingredients. I salute my Texan Brother's and Sister's and they can make their chili any way they want too for sure! I just think chili has more flavors with beans and other vegetable ingredients added in, just all I'm saying. Just a personal choice, that's all. -Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah chili, my mother made it with beans and so does my wife. Everybody has liked both. I have made it both ways. Wife’s won.

So, why should I care what Texans think ;-)

Let the games begin.

I am going to again try chili and meat. What chilies?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I made chili for a church potluck last week and bought Anaheim, Poblamo, Jalapino and Habanero which I roasted under the broiler, then placed them in a ziplock to steam and cool. Then I peeled them and took out the seeds and stems before mincing them up to add to the browned meat and onions. If I use beans, they are red kidney beans and not too many. I also sometimes add a little sugar.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Cutting meat with power tools gives me the willies despite having done a lot of it.
A blob of meat mush built up near the top guide on a bandsaw I was using while we were butchering a cow. It finally got big enough it could not hang there and plopped on the table. For a moment 14 year old me was convinced the little bloody pile of mush was my finger! My hands were covered in blood and I stood there waiting for the pain to come. Whole thing maybe lasted 2 or 3 seconds but it gave me a good scare.

Eric