Goex to close last plant

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Goex to close last plant

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, technically Hodgdon, who owns Goex, will be closing their plant in Camp Minden, LA. Last domestic source of black powder... :( :( :evil:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Goex to close last plant

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jay, I sent Hodgdon both an e-mail and an actual, physical, snail-mail letter on this topic, and here is the reply I received:

Mr. Powell,

Thanks for your letter dated 29 September, 2021.
We have received a fair amount of feedback since we announced our decision last week, much of it in a similar sentiment to your letter.
To be clear, our preferred outcome in this situation is to be able to sell the GOEX operation and are actively working to make this happen. We will continue these efforts at our best possible speed as we know we are on a tight timeline for the end of the year.
At the Hodgdon Powder Company, we have used the tagline “The Gunpowder People” for some years now. Most of us are handloaders, shooters and muzzleloader shooters and have a lot of passion for the sport. While this is not the outcome we would have preferred, our focus now is on pursuing a sale. We will work as hard as we can for this outcome.
Thanks for reaching out.
Aaron Oelger I Vice President of Sales & Marketing I Hodgdon Powder Co.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What do you guys think the reason was? As the only manufacturer, they could raise prices within reason if necessary to meet additional overhead caused by inflation or regulatory stuff. Do you think it was liability issues, or do you think that the government just wanted one less potential explosive out there, or to chip away at one of the more fun and non-threatening recreational parts of shooting that draw in new shooters? I guess I always tend to be a little cynical when I hear news like this.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Doc I share some of the same fears
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

A now deceased Fellow Shooter was a GOEX employee and tested the powder lots. From what he told me, the US Gov't./DOD was GOEX's biggest purchaser -- something like 85% of GOEX total production was to fill government contracts -- and GOEX is/was the only domestically Black Powder manufacturer.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Hodgdon makes both Pyrodex and Triple 7 powders. for them it probably makes a lot of sense to cut the Goex plant loose. I tried the Pyrodex years ago and hated it with a passion. I found some Triple 7 ffg today and will try it out soon.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

While I hate for it to close, I have been using Pyrodex in all of my replica and original firearms for a couple of decades now. I just love it and wont miss the black powder plant closure at all. I did a rather intense test of Pyrodex vs black about 20 years ago in both rifles and revolvers. After testing a couple of dozen firearms with both I pretty much gave up on black powder. The only time I would consider using it would be in long range rifle shoots since at long range black out performed Pyrodex in accuracy, but inside a few hundred yards and in any of the revolvers, both cartridge and percussion, black came in a poor second. As to why they are closing, I too have heard that there were just too many accidents at the plant. I am sure liability was quite expensive.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:14 pm Jay, I sent Hodgdon both an e-mail and an actual, physical, snail-mail letter on this topic, and here is the reply I received:

Mr. Powell,

Thanks for your letter dated 29 September, 2021.
We have received a fair amount of feedback since we announced our decision last week, much of it in a similar sentiment to your letter.
To be clear, our preferred outcome in this situation is to be able to sell the GOEX operation and are actively working to make this happen. We will continue these efforts at our best possible speed as we know we are on a tight timeline for the end of the year.
At the Hodgdon Powder Company, we have used the tagline “The Gunpowder People” for some years now. Most of us are handloaders, shooters and muzzleloader shooters and have a lot of passion for the sport. While this is not the outcome we would have preferred, our focus now is on pursuing a sale. We will work as hard as we can for this outcome.
Thanks for reaching out.
Aaron Oelger I Vice President of Sales & Marketing I Hodgdon Powder Co.
I sure hope they sell instead of close it.

So, if most of the sales are to the DOD, do they have another domestic source (and if so, that source must not sell to the public). One would think that the Feds would not like losing their domestic source. Then again, considering the current idiot in charge, this could all be deliberate... :roll:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:29 pm https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... =1&t=82025

Yes we've been discussing this.....
Sorry I missed it Ray! :oops:
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:35 pm "So, if most of the sales are to the DOD, do they have another domestic source (and if so, that source must not sell to the public). One would think that the Feds would not like losing their domestic source. Then again, considering the current idiot in charge, this could all be deliberate... :roll: "

Makes one think of the idiom "throw the baby out with the bathwater".....

The e.p.a. has been down on the state of louisiana (camp minden) re. the chemical pollution at the site so it is not just the several goex explosions factoring into the decision to close/sell. The state owned camp is a so-called "superfund site". The ongoing multi defendant(s) civil suit (including hodgdon) has been leashed and hindered for nigh-on three decades by the d.o.d. and d.o.e.(energy) for munitions logistics and national security reasons. All that ended this year with the current administration. The halting of the various pipelines and the continuation of the camp minden lawsuit is just part of the green light for the e.p.a. to onerously harass essential industries and commerce.

Now think of the hunter (and joe) biden/chinese connections..... Due to fireworks exports, china makes more black powder than all of the rest of the world combined.
It makes much more sense now... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Birchsmoke
Levergunner

Post by Birchsmoke »

Well my Dad sent me a chemistry set in 1975. I coupled that with encylopeia G, which is a large set of books for those less fortunate souls who grew up with the internet, and started making my own black powder shortly there after. So, time break out the chemistry set.
Birchsmoke
Perfection Is not found when there is nothing left to add but where there is nothing left to take away.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Birchsmoke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:19 am Well my Dad sent me a chemistry set in 1975. I coupled that with encylopeia G, which is a large set of books for those less fortunate souls who grew up with the internet, and started making my own black powder shortly there after. So, time break out the chemistry set.
HOW ABOUT some reliable links for those of us who would like to study chemistry?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Just got notice yesterday that BACO now has their big shipment of powder in! So if you need powder better order it now, as it will go quickly! I know several people who have orders in for one or two cases! That's 25 lbs. of powder per case! Better hurry, and ignore the catalog that shows something not in stock. Call them and ask, as they'll sell it faster than they can update the website info.
They have Swiss 1fg, 1 1/2fg, 2fg, and schuetzen 1 1/2, at least. Maybe some others too?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Grizz wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:00 am
Birchsmoke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:19 am Well my Dad sent me a chemistry set in 1975. I coupled that with encylopeia G, which is a large set of books for those less fortunate souls who grew up with the internet, and started making my own black powder shortly there after. So, time break out the chemistry set.
HOW ABOUT some reliable links for those of us who would like to study chemistry?
I saved this web site "just in case" from a post over on "Castboolits". https://web.archive.org/web/20110520014 ... _menu.html
Quite educational on the story of black powder and making your own stuff.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

THANKS so much! going to add that to my list. need to get that merit badge
Birchsmoke
Levergunner

Post by Birchsmoke »

Hoffman productions on youtube has a real good video series on making black powder. Goex used maple for wood but one of the premium foreign suppliers uses buckthorn of which I have an over abundance of. Between looking for a subaru transmission for the boys car I checked for 4f online and found some but after the following conversation decided to make my own:

Me
I have 9 cans of Goex in my cart right now. I also dont see a hazmat charge coming up.

Rampage FireArms
For the Goex we can deliver,but the hazmat charge isn't available now, but if you can be patient for a while it will be available

me
You don't stock Hazmat? I thought everyone had it.

Rampage FireArms
it is but not yet on the site.
Birchsmoke
Perfection Is not found when there is nothing left to add but where there is nothing left to take away.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hazmat fee will run $25, and that's for one shipment. So if you order one pound, or 25 lbs. it costs the same single fee.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Birchsmoke wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:24 am Hoffman productions on youtube has a real good video series on making black powder. Goex used maple for wood but one of the premium foreign suppliers uses buckthorn of which I have an over abundance of. Between looking for a subaru transmission for the boys car I checked for 4f online and found some but after the following conversation decided to make my own:

Me
I have 9 cans of Goex in my cart right now. I also dont see a hazmat charge coming up.

Rampage FireArms
For the Goex we can deliver,but the hazmat charge isn't available now, but if you can be patient for a while it will be available

me
You don't stock Hazmat? I thought everyone had it.

Rampage FireArms
it is but not yet on the site.

Definitely sounds like a reputable dealer. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Birchsmoke
Levergunner

Post by Birchsmoke »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:24 am Hazmat fee will run $25, and that's for one shipment. So if you order one pound, or 25 lbs. it costs the same single fee.
I'm familiar with the Hazmat fee, When the venodor isn't I throw the flag. There are a bunch of these scam sites out there today posting hard to find stuff at great prices. Ammunition is the latest.
Birchsmoke
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Birchsmoke wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:15 am
marlinman93 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:24 am Hazmat fee will run $25, and that's for one shipment. So if you order one pound, or 25 lbs. it costs the same single fee.
I'm familiar with the Hazmat fee, When the venodor isn't I throw the flag. There are a bunch of these scam sites out there today posting hard to find stuff at great prices. Ammunition is the latest.

Exactly. They must be in Pakistan or India or some other place where folks don't have a clue about what it takes to ship certain items in the US of A. When he said "We have them, but they aren't listed on the site yet" - har de har har!!!

Caveat Emptor is true today, for sure.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure where they're located, but most scammers wont even ship you what you bought. Often you might get a piece of jewelry if you ordered powder, just so they can send you a tracking number so you'll think your purchase is on the way. I've had a couple friends who had that happen, and were very confused when they opened their shipment box and saw something totally unrelated to their purchase inside. Luckily the scammers accepted a credit card purchase, and when they contacted their card company the charges were reversed. The scammers are hoping that some people don't know they can dispute the charges.