HEP! I NEED HEP! with a bullet puller

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

HEP! I NEED HEP! with a bullet puller

Post by fordwannabe »

Hello all! I got my 50-110 up and running and am trying different loads ect ect buuuuut I made some dummy rounds and then found out that a standard kinetic bullet puller is too small for a 50-110. BLANKETY BLANK MURPHY! So to the enlightened on this forum, anybody know of a production kinetic bullet puller that would work with the 50-110 case? Maybe something that works with the 348??? 50 Alaskan?? Dunno. I made one out of plumbing suppliesPVC and it worked great until it exploded sending itty bitty little pieces of white plastic showering all over my gunroom. DRAT! Any help would be greatly appreciated before I have my machinist buddy make me one out of brass rod. Thanks. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: HEP! I NEED HEP! with a bullet puller

Post by Tycer »

Drill a half inch hole near the end of a piece of 2x4 far enough back you don’t smack the case on the bench.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A shell holder won't work in the kinetic?
Go find a wooden mallet, drill a hole in it then get another peice of wood, metal band, flat iron, whatever- hang on im gonna just call you!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Tycer has his basic physics down right.....

My input...will the 50-110 fit into the main body by itself? (Without the collets or cap)....even if it don't make up a spacer from washers until it will go in with a bit of leeway for the bullet to exit......then put some duct tape to hold it in...whack!

THIS IS FAST AND EASY.....

Or you can go the redneck method...but this only works if you decide you don't want the bullet......put the loaded round in your press with the proper shellholder.........raise the ram (NO DIE IN PRESS, stupid) :D .....until the loaded round comes through the top of the press.......grab bullet with the wire cutting end of a quality pair of pliers....hold tight....lower ram....

Up in Maine, Old Win (Jay) says they take a loaded round with an O ring around it, then push it in through the bottom of a full can of beer, then pop the tab and suck the beer out of the can and the bullet always follows.
Model A Uzi’s
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:25 pm Up in Maine, Old Win (Jay) says they take a loaded round with an O ring around it, then push it in through the bottom of a full can of beer, then pop the tab and suck the beer out of the can and the bullet always follows.
Aw geez, don't give away all of our state secrets!

That trick was invented by the good 'ol boys who first said: "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhh sorry #7!....could not help myself......Jay turns me on to all kinds of "I fixed it" thingys....he recently told me how to make an outdoor bar-be-cue with an old toilet......he says to just put the charcoal in the pot, put some rebar over the rim .....and cook away......while we were discussing outdoor cooking he told me how to cook toilet paper, Good ole Jay says to "brown it and throw it in the pot"---006

(By the way, we rednecks in Pa are just as good as you guys...we have Philly on the right, Pittsburg on the left, and Alabama in between.)
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tom...where's the "L"? Hep? Hepatitis?
Model A Uzi’s
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Try a pair of wire strippers. Its what I use, just understand it mars the bullet a bit!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

There goes Six........tellin all our secrets again! :D

I like the washer idea. You can drill it so it fits the cartridge properly. Then pit a bolt and nut through the washer, chuck it in a drill or drill press, and file it till it fits inside the kinetic puller.

I wonder what they do for .348? It's essentially a 50-110 at the base and rim.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Sorry, I should have said what the issue was in the first post. The round without the little metal o- ring thingie only goes in the body of the puller about an inch and becomes lodged. NOT ENOUGH HOLE I knew about the press and wire cutter trick, just wondering if anybody knew how the BPCR guys did it, or if anybody would say BRAND X makes a puller that will handle a 600whizbangsupermagnumdeerassassin. Thanks for the ideas.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Real men just pull it out with their teeth........ :twisted:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:32 pm Sorry, I should have said what the issue was in the first post. The round without the little metal o- ring thingie only goes in the body of the puller about an inch and becomes lodged. NOT ENOUGH HOLE I knew about the press and wire cutter trick, just wondering if anybody knew how the BPCR guys did it, or if anybody would say BRAND X makes a puller that will handle a 600whizbangsupermagnumdeerassassin. Thanks for the ideas.
I always use a shell holder instead of the oring contraption
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Get ya a real long drill bit of the appropriate size and drill those funky ridges out of the barrel, then chamber a round and slam the muzzle real hard on a concrete floor. Problem solved 8)
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Had this same issue with a 338 AI Lapua. We drilled out the kinetic bullet puller-----just used a 9/16th bit I believe. There was still enough plastic that it didn't break when we whacked it. Worked fine.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

They do make collet type pullers designed to be used in your standard press. I believe RCBS made the set I have, and it came with a large selection of collets to fit the die to allow it to clamp down on various size bullets. These work really well, but will deform cast bullets when pulling them. So count on not reusing any cast bullets when pulling them with the collet puller.
I rarely use my set anymore, as all my shooting is cast bullets. I've got the die and 19 collets for various sizes clear down to .17 caliber. Need to take them all out to our collector gun show and sell the whole set. They're just taking up bench space here.

https://www.rcbs.com/dies-and-shell-hol ... t-pulling/
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I'll add to what MM wrote.....the bullet pullers that RCBS makes...caliber specific are the ultimate....ZERO comparison to a kinetic.

They really are not that expensive...you buy the main body with collets for the caliber.....I have them in 22, 30 , and a few others. It was worth its weight in GOLD last year when I loaded up 200 rounds of .223 with one extra grain of powder which was causing blown primers. (One grain in a .223 is like 3 grains in an '06.)

Just pop that baby in the shellholder, raise the ram, turn the handle and lower the ram, then release the collet so the bullet falls out....you can do a hundred rounds in probably 15 minutes, with no mess and no banging. Inertia pullers are near worthless on light bullets anyway...you have to bang it 20 times and many times the powder comes flying out.----006
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yes! I have one of the RCBS collet pullers and it works fantastic. I'm just not sure if they make a .50 collet.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Depending on the ogive curve/diameter a .45 collet might work. I've gotten away with using the .30 cal on 8mm's, though the difference is only about .020 not .050.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

OldWin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:28 pm Yes! I have one of the RCBS collet pullers and it works fantastic. I'm just not sure if they make a .50 collet.
They make the collets in .50 caliber. Collets sell for $13-$14 ea. I tried to find any "sets" of collets, but didn't see them available at RCBS or anywhere else.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I had the same issue with my .45-120 Sharps. Built a bullet puller out of 1/2" or 3/4" steel pipe. One "T" section, three straight sections (one for the handle, longer, and two for either side of the "T"). Caps. The collet from my Midway puller fit perfectly. Just put some cotton balls where the bullet would "land". Only took a whack or two, especially with the extra weight of the steel pipe construction versus plastic construction.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Found my original post on it from 2013!

https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... 20#p592452