Favorite pocket rocket!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Favorite pocket rocket!

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Smith & Wesson 351C

That’s seven rounds of Gold Dot at 10 yards offhand. Unfortunately at 25 yards I can stay on the plate, but that’s about it. Fortunately most social things happen up close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Favorite pocket rocket!

Post by Blaine »

How's the double action pull?
I bought one of the AirLite 317s a long time ago, and it's DA trigger is so heavy as to be bothersome. Around 12-14 stiff pounds IIRC.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’ve never measured it. It was smooth and felt great right out of the box. Never did anything but clean it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well that would get you out of a tight spot.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nice work Scott.

I have a S&W 340 .357 ... I am not a very good double action shot but taking my time I can hit with it. A few years ago I was up at Tedd's place and shot a JackRabbit at 50 feet or so. Nailed it first shot. The .357 completely gutted it. The Smiths I've messed with have always had what felt to me to be good triggers.
IMG_0273.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sig 238
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I'm still loving this 637, but the lock plate fell out and it's gotten a suntan since the last time you saw it. Brownells AlumaHyde II baked on the frame and Caswell's Stainless Blackener on the barrel & cylinder. I trued the rear notch up before coating it and the blackened sights helped a bunch.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Useful modifications to be sure! This was my number 1 carry gun on the motorcycle. I just put in in the pockets of my chaps.

Richard Mann did some experiments with the .22 Magnum many years ago.

https://youtu.be/lP41nm6o2LI
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I does fit in a jeans pocket. And five of those are a bit better than 5 .38's
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I always liked that gun Scott, but was worried the aluminum cylinder and the flame from a 22 mag were not compatible
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

4t5 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:53 pm I always liked that gun Scott, but was worried the aluminum cylinder and the flame from a 22 mag were not compatible
I don't think there is anything to worry about. I have fired it several hundred times and I do not see any signs of wear or trouble.

Bill Jordan wrote about wanting a gun like this back in 1965:

"The one light loading that I would like to see would be the airweight model Cobras and Chief Specials chambered for the new .22 RF Magnum load. This is a wicked little cartridge and eould add little to the weight of the light models (five .38 Special cartridges weigh about as much as the Chief airweight), and wuld make a wonderful addition to the "hide out" field, particularly for officers working in hot couuntries where usually a coat is not worn during the hot summer months.
. . . .
Off duty, or when the weather is hot, there is a great temptationto conclude that there won't be any trouble anyway, and go unarmed rather that to either wear a coat or look conspicuous wearing a big gun wihtout the coat to conceal it. That's the time when the little airweight model, slipped into a trouser pocket, is worth its weight in gold. And for such use the smallest and lightest gun available, provided that it has reasonable power, is the best.

A recent letter from Dough Hellstrom, Smith and Wesson' dynamic young executive vice-president, says that they are workingn the problems attendant to marrying the .22 RF Magnum to the Chief airweight--and there are lots of problems. Aluminum cylinder and barrel with steel liners are indicated to keep down the weight. The big problem, however, is devising a method to keep the hot gasses from eating through the aluminum frame above the junction of cylinder and barrel. If this problem can be whipped it should result in the perfect hideout gun. It will not only outreach a switch blade, but will pack penty of close range authority into an easily carried and concealable package."

No Second Place Winner, pp. 77-79.

I would submit that Smith & Wesson has met these challenges and I don't think I will live long enough to wear mine out.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Thanks for the reply!
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

S&W 642 .357 3" EDC.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.