Winchester model 1894 early saddle ring No Serial

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Smokin1973
Levergunner

Winchester model 1894 early saddle ring No Serial

Post by Smokin1973 »

Hi Guys I have a early Winchester model 1894 this shows the possibility of being a turn of the century gun how ever there is no serial number any were on the rifle. I have heard alot of people say it is not possible but here it is. Any help on year and value would be great
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester model 1894 early saddle ring No Serial

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The serial number would on the underside of the reciever just behind the handguard. Your photo looks like there is a groove across that area, but I cannot really tell because when I blow it up, it is grainy.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. Need a close picture of the bottom of the frame between the forend and the lower link.
The early guns were stamped with a slightly different font and are usually stamped lighter than later guns. That being said, it is usually evident if it has been removed.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I recall reading a notice somewhere that Winchester was not going to work on guns that had the serial numbers removed, as was the habit of some discount houses to hide where the guns were coming from that they sold cheaper than the factory approved sellers. I think Sears was one of the discount outfits in question at that time, (very early 1900s?) So, it may not be nefarious at all, but still unfortunate.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Malamute wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:05 pm I recall reading a notice somewhere that Winchester was not going to work on guns that had the serial numbers removed, as was the habit of some discount houses to hide where the guns were coming from that they sold cheaper than the factory approved sellers. I think Sears was one of the discount outfits in question at that time, (very early 1900s?) So, it may not be nefarious at all, but still unfortunate.
I read something like that about 92s sold by Sears. Might want to look under the stock on the lower tang as I have seen serial numbers stamped there on some older guns.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Looks to me that it was ground out unprofessionally indicating someone wanted to hide its identity.----00
Model A Uzi’s
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

OldWin wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:41 pm Yup. Need a close picture of the bottom of the frame between the forend and the lower link.
yes
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

"Any help on year and value would be great."

Maybe not so great. Serial removed, value zero.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

PriseDeFer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:35 am "Any help on year and value would be great."

Pre- 1968, no problem for a long gun.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

765x53 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:58 pm
PriseDeFer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:35 am"Any help on year and value would be great."
Not quite,

The major issue with firearm serial numbers is this: basically — if a firearm never had a serial number it can be sold, but if a firearm had a serial number and it was removed, it cannot be sold. Here are the applicable statutes:

Per 26 U.S.C. § 5861(h), the NFA makes it a crime “to receive or possess a firearm [as defined by the NFA] having the serial number or other identification required by this chapter obliterated, removed, changed, or altered.”
Per 18 U.S.C. 922 (k), the GCA says “It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.”
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:31 pm
765x53 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:58 pm
PriseDeFer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:35 am"Any help on year and value would be great."
Not quite,

The major issue with firearm serial numbers is this: basically — if a firearm never had a serial number it can be sold, but if a firearm had a serial number and it was removed, it cannot be sold. Here are the applicable statutes:

Per 26 U.S.C. § 5861(h), the NFA makes it a crime “to receive or possess a firearm [as defined by the NFA] having the serial number or other identification required by this chapter obliterated, removed, changed, or altered.”
Per 18 U.S.C. 922 (k), the GCA says “It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.”
AND ...in addition to Federal law, each state has it's own statutes.
https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code ... 31-11.html

In Texas (and other states) it is illegal to possess anything that had had the serial number altered or obliterated.

Value...$0.00
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

§ 31.11. Tampering with Identification Numbers

(a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) knowingly or intentionally removes, alters, or obliterates the serial number or other permanent identification marking on tangible personal property; or
(2) possesses, sells, or offers for sale tangible personal property and:
(A) the actor knows that the serial number or other permanent identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated; or
(B) a reasonable person in the position of the actor would have known that the serial number or other permanent identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated.
(b) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the person was:
(1) the owner or acting with the effective consent of the owner of the property involved;
(2) a peace officer acting in the actual discharge of official duties; or
(3) acting with respect to a number assigned to a vehicle by the Texas Department of Transportation or the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, as applicable, and the person was:
(A) in the actual discharge of official duties as an employee or agent of the department; or
(B) in full compliance with the rules of the department as an applicant for an assigned number approved by the department.
(c) Property involved in a violation of this section may be treated as stolen for purposes of custody and disposition of the property.
(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(e) In this section, “vehicle” has the meaning given by Section 541.201, Transportation Code.

Tex. Penal Code Ann. § 31.11 (West)

Nothing here about pre or post 1968, and yes, back in the day, I did arrest a number of folks for this.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I guess I triggered all the jail house lawyers. :D
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

765x53 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:13 am I guess I triggered all the jail house lawyers. :D
meme.jpg
:D :lol:
I DO have something in common with a jail house lawyer....I've never lost a felony case. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Not Perry Mason or a jail house lawyer, nor do I know much about laws, however some years ago on some forum there was a discussion about a strange looking serial number on a rifle ( a 94 Win, I think ). It turned out to be a BATF issued serial number on a rifle where the original number had been removed. I don't remember the details, but this might be something to check out.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yes...the ATF will put on a serial number if everything else seems legit.....I saw it done with the only military prototype M1 Thompson SMG produced by Colt during WW2. It's a lot of red tape and money and you had better know someone. Funny thing, this gun was residing for decades in the house of a retired, then died, chief of police in a New Jersey town.....

It's not worth the aggravation or money spent unless the gun has considerable value. Besides, no one is going to question you on an old gun without a number that was obviously removed a century ago. A Glock made last week....your in hot water....ANY gun used in a crime? ....hot water....your a wanted man that the cops was something to stick on and find you with a beat up 1866 carbine with no number?....hot water. A guy in the woods hunting or in your house ....99.9% of cops won't know the difference and really don't care.----00
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What I think is cool is it the saddle ring carbines were really the original 'tactical carbine', with what we now call a 'single point sling'... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

765x53 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:13 am I guess I triggered all the jail house lawyers. :D
Now, that's not very nice.

I don't do any criminal law at all, but the Texas Penal Code is kind of important when you deal with defending police officers and agencies.