Back and probably moving to Maine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Back and probably moving to Maine

Post by yooper2 »

Hey fellas, been gone for a few months. It was an extremely turbulent summer as my wife started a new job, we moved back to Michigan after the house we were renting was sold out from under us, and I ended up doing a string of sailboat deliveries all up and down the East Coast and Caribbean.
Finally have a moment to breathe and log back in. My wife has been working remotely and just learned that she can do so permanently with only occasional trips into her office on Cape Cod. So we have decided to try and move to mid-coast Maine. We really like it there as it feels a lot like the Keweenaw Peninsula where we are from with the major benefits of:
1. Many job opportunities for me
2. Seafood
3. New hunting/fishing adventures (Moose and no more bear lottery!)
4. An easy drive for her to get the Cape when needed.

I am going on a job scouting mission at the end of the month and then we will decide what towns we would want to live in. We are both very excited about the possibilities and the next chapter of our lives. I am also excited to be back here! Much as I love boats I've been deprived of levergun chat.

Eric
Ysabel Kid

Re: Back and probably moving to Maine

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome back & Good Luck!!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hi Eric...wondered where you were hiding.....cruising along the coast in boats? That's hifalutin....

I can't help you on your quest but just be sure to watch that guy who lives in ....ahhh....starts with an "S"...long Indian name....anyway, he wears a big buffalo coat with very deep pockets. There's another hombre who goes by JOG, seems fair but he drinks a lot....that other guy masquerades as Old Win. He left here one time and I was minus 4 single action Colts and a nice 1886 takedown.

Wish the best for ya bud!-------006
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sounds like interesting times ahead, good luck and welcome back... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Best of luck.
Good to see you have come back to the fire.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

The Mid-Coast of Maine is definitely a lovely place.

Housing prices are a bit spendy.

Bath Iron Works has been on a hiring binge lately, so there are some
good jobs in the area.

3-4 hours to Cape Cod depending on traffic.

-Stretch
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Welcome back!
I'm in southern costal Maine along with the Mrs. It's a great place to live!
We don't get to much snow do the the warmth of the ocean.
I'm a hop skip and just from the White mountains in New Hampshire!
If you like white people you'll like Maine!
Were the whitest state in the union! Last summer we had a sighting of a black couple in a 1974 Gremlin! People flocked to see them, just like when a whale is spotted off the coast! Yes ethnic folk are very rare here! We welcome them all after a thorough frisking and credit check!
Although that fella Sixgun came up here with his Pennsylvania summer tan and was accused of being a mulloto by our pastor!
I think perhaps his Rap cd's are starting to make him inadvertently speak Ebonics'!
He was seen hanging around a lobster shack drinking quart's of Old English 800 and screaming obscenity's at white women with big butts!
After finding him facedown in a puddle of his own vomit the townsfolk pooled some money for a bus ticket to get this misunderstood cretin out of beloved state!
But I digress, Maine is looking forward to you moving to our wonderful state! Make sure you get permission from OldWin before coming here! If not you will be turned away at the border! This OldWin fella has lot's of political clout here in Maine. After you pay him $300 buck's you may enter at your own risk!
Just for giggle's Johnny :D
Last edited by JOG on Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ha! A measly 300 bucks? Oh...... that's a mistake.
The price is a Colt Frontier Six Shooter or possibly a nice 86 Winchester. Either or..... :D

Nawwwww. Don't listen to these boys. None of it's true!
I'll be north of you a ways. Up with the inbred hicks. :D
There is lots to do here for the outdoorsman, though. Some mighty pretty country. Winters won't be as bad down towards the coast.
As mentioned, Bath Iron Works has been hiring a lot of people. There are some good jobs there for almost any vocation. Definitely more job opportunities in the southern part of the state than up here. I drive over 50 miles to work.
Last edited by OldWin on Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Thanks gents! We are excited to try and make this happen. To get to Cape Cod from here is at least 20 hours drive time cutting through Canada (25 ish if you can't) so 4 doesn't seem too bad. We are most interested in the area around Brooklin, as that is the area with places I would like to work. Initially fell in love with the area kayaking the Maine Island Trail. With prices on the peninsula that would probably mean living up north farther on Penobscot Bay or the river.
We are excited about having some real winters again, been living in the sub-tropics of Southern New England and the L.P. for too long. I haven't worn my heaviest wool mackinac coat or any long johns in almost 5 years.

Eric
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

The past two winter here in southern Maine have been pretty mild.
I'm afraid this year we might get hit big!
2015 was a brutal winter up here!
Above average snowfall and below average temps.
I'm sure OldWin gets hit hard every year!
I love when 70% of the people leave the state!
No more traffic and horrible driver's.
October and November are my favorite months up here!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Cold and snow is the way to go.

You'll learn that the worst thing is a warm winter. Snow then rain turns to ice you can't get cleaned off roofs or driveways. Wet, heavy snow is hard to move and packs like cement.
Nope, give me a real winter every time.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea....just found out why JOG likes the snow and ice.....he runs a biggest still in his parts and he has a 6 wheel drive semi tank. When the revenuers come chasing him in their Ford LTD's and leather soled wing tips he leaves em in the dust...or ice.

Him and that Old Win guy work together as sometimes they need a snowmobile to get the hooch to market and that's where Old Win comes in. You'd never know JOG when he's working...wears foot long dreadlocks and a Super Fly hat in a Zoot Suit with a boom box on his shoulder playing Snoop Dog and 50 Cent.

He has a bad habit of leaving clues to his travels......everywhere he goes he leaves the bones from chicken back sandwiches smothered in spicy mustard.---00
Model A Uzi’s
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Hey Sixgun your order of a large barrel of Cousin Stubby's malt flavored pineapple liqueur should be arriving sometime today.
My cuz Darnell will be running delivery's this week due to them revenuer man puttin the squeeze on my biz! So keep your eyes out for a 1974 aqua green Pacer with a lift kit!
Fizzy. Lashawn and Jabrill will be making up a fresh batch this week, so place your order now.
You be one of my biggest customer's next to OldWin and that guy who played Linc from the Mod Squad!
Guzzle on my cirrhosis ridden brother from another mother!
Johnny :P
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Cold and snow is the way to go.

You'll learn that the worst thing is a warm winter. Snow then rain turns to ice you can't get cleaned off roofs or driveways. Wet, heavy snow is hard to move and packs like cement. Nope, give me a real winter every time.
Oh, yeah.

I still remember the Ice Storm of '98. No power for 11 days.
I think there were 4 trees on my garage at one time.

Considering the number of people using generators and hacking
away with chainsaws while skating around on ice, it's remarkable that there
were only a handful of ice-storm-related fatalities.

Gimme a foot of powder anytime. Ice and rain over snow are, indeed, the worst!

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/04/ ... operation/

-Stretch
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JOG wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:37 am Hey Sixgun your order of a large barrel of Cousin Stubby's malt flavored pineapple liqueur should be arriving sometime today.
My cuz Darnell will be running delivery's this week due to them revenuer man puttin the squeeze on my biz! So keep your eyes out for a 1974 aqua green Pacer with a lift kit!
Fizzy. Lashawn and Jabrill will be making up a fresh batch this week, so place your order now.
You be one of my biggest customer's next to OldWin and that guy who played Linc from the Mod Squad!
Guzzle on my cirrhosis ridden brother from another mother!
Johnny....you are the best... :D ....I couldn't come close to your humor....I'm dropping off Laquisha at the pool right now and mom's asking why I'm "in there laughing to myself".

The name "Fizzy" and the aqua green Pacer with a lift kit pushed me off the toilet..... :D

On a real note, some 5 years back me and mom (wife) were in "da hood" dropping off some copper/brass at the "precious metal" junk yard.....there were bros lined up with trash bags of aluminum cans that they would get like .62 cents for.....on leaving and sitting at a stop light we were watching this car come around the corner, sitting real low to the ground.....it had 4 DONUT tires on it.....man! that cat driving it had the biggest smile on his face I ever saw....all teeth! :D ----006
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

yooper2 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:52 pm Hey I ended up doing a string of sailboat deliveries all up and down the East Coast and Caribbean.

Eric
Man I'm jealous and envious, i been thinking would like togo around the coasts And some quiet islands for the last couple years. I have zero sailing experience tho.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The ice storm of 98.....
I actually never lost power up here. Probably not as bad up this way, but it was still bad. It was real bad over in Bangor where I work.
I drove 660 miles that week back and forth to work. My truck was so covered in ice it was weighted down in the suspension. The radio antenna was about a half inch in diameter from ice buildup.
Not fun.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

The ice storm of 98 was a pain in the azz! I was living in New Hampshire at the time.
We had this deadly long staircase to get to my apartment. When I stepped outside I danced down all 26 steps without getting any traction what so ever!
My wife laughed so hard she pee'd a little bit! When she made it down to the last step she slipped! I laughed like a black guy watching a white guy dance!
I think we were without power for 8 day's. I remember laying in bed at night and listening to frozen trees crashing down.

Sixgun you now me always kidding around! I just hope I don't tick off anybody! My wife always says the only reason that she keep me around is that I could make her cry laughing!
I have to go, I promised my neighbor Dumpster Darius that I would help him polish of a 5th of Gilby gin. He's preparing a real culinary treat for me.
Government grilled cheese prepared on a ironing board. Place sandwich on board, put wax paper over the top. Iron for 3 to 7 min. depending on iron setting!
That's right up there with city chicken{pigeon's}.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Johnny...who's kidding? I've seen it all a thousand times over...in person. I'm not PC...I see the world as it is....
Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Up here in the Kewwenaw we average about 23' of snow a year, had one year that almost 30'. Being on a peninsula we get lake effect snow from almost every direction. We usually get a couple weeks below every year. Doesn't get Minnesota cold but I've seen it snow every month of the year, including once on my birthday which is in July!

Turtle,
Delivering boats can be fun or it can be a real slog. You can have beautiful passages where you sail the whole way and arrive ahead of time. You can also have brutal slogs motoring into headseas where you arrive late and lose 10% or more per day late. You can check crewfinder.com, if you have any skill sets you can "sell" you may get picked up, good cooks and folks knowledgeable about 12v DC systems are always welcome for example.
I grew up sailing on Lake Superior and started doing delivery work when I was 13 with some fellas from the boatyard and have had at least a couple delivery jobs every year since. Also did some commercial fishing after high school. It can be good money and it is often a demanding test of seamanship. You are on boats of varying condition and preparedness often in inclement weather. Brand new boats are the worst, things always break on new boats.

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh Lordy...all that snow for those many months out of the year...23 FEET? I had to read it twice as 23 INCHES is probably what we get. You must have nerves of steel......----006
Model A Uzi’s
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

23 inches a snow a year! We had one long weekend up here in Maine a few years ago, we received 53 inches over three day's! I had no snow blower at the time. That dam plow man kept filling up my driveway after it took 5 hrs to clear! I was going to have him whacked! Just kidding, perhaps just shattering his kneecap would be enough!
OldWin is completely correct, Cold and fluffy snow is what you want for safe driving in the winter.
Remember Black ice kills! Living only a few miles from the ocean we do get lot's of freezing rain and ice!
Very dangerous for driving.
Sixgun the statics don't lie! The media will lie and scream racism if the truth is spoken!
They will ostracize anybody telling the truth! Cancel culture is here.
You will be shunned for backing up your opinion with facts!
Johnny
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Feet! Like anything else, you are born into it or get used to it. Typically get a couple big dumps a year but it's the couple/few inches most every day that really add up. Outside of town most folks have a tired old vehicle with a plow or just give up on the driveway and hike into their place. Driving on hard pack is fine, gets ugly when it's half melted.

Eric
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Ok feet! Holy Cow I don't think I could handle that! How does any think survive that!
I thought 9 or 10 feet was bad!
Johnny :D
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Back from my reconnaissance trip to Maine. Looks like employment will be no problem, had several offers at places I would be glad to work. Looked at a couple houses and more importantly found a realtor that we like. We will be able to afford a house on some acreage as long as we stay a few miles inland.

Maine has a 3 day out of state small game license so I was able to sneak away for a couple days for some grouse hunting with my dog Elo which was a blast. He never laid eyes on one in CT and where we are in MI has no population. Whacked a few squirrels too. Nothing better than cooking grouse and brunswick stew over a campfire with your dog.

Stopped in the Kittery Trading Post on our way home after hearing about it for years. Typical mob scene around the ammo but a good selection of interesting guns. Plenty of levers including a nice deluxe 71. Really liked a 16ga FAIR (made by Rizzini?) side by side with a straight stock, double triggers, extractors, and screw in chokes but my wife would have rightfully scalped me if I had gone after it when we are trying buy a house.

Very excited!

Eric
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad it was a good trip.
No better eatin than partridge. I've said it for years...
If partridge weighed 200 pounds, I wouldn't waste my time deer hunting. :D
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

OldWin wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:27 pm If partridge weighed 200 pounds, I wouldn't waste my time deer hunting. :D
Ain't that the truth!

Eric
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Congratulations on your return to Maine! I stopped by the trading post about two hours ago myself.
They had a 1987 S&W 586-2 with a 6 inch barrel and target grips that I just had to put on a 60 day hold. 94 or 95% for $675.00.
20% down on the card to hold her for me. Boy's they had a Winchester 1873 in 38-40 if memory serves me correctly. $1,495.00
What caught my eye was a old Springfield Armory 410 side by side! It looked to be a good 70 or 80 years old. $695.00
As far as a 200lbs Partridge goes. I think that Lori Partridge from the Partridge family would be worth a look!
Although if she 200 lbs. maybe not! Some of you fella like the big one's! To each there own.
I remember when OldWin sent me a photo of his prom date from 1977.
This momma had more necks then my neighbor Deshawn Washington Sunday gizzard stew!
He knew this one was a keeper when she drank all of his Old Spice aftershave just before his mom was getting ready to take photo's!
It's the only prom photo' I've ever seen with a date strapped to a flatbed before! The Budweiser keg really brings all the elements together in the photo! :D
I'm just kidding everybody. Please don't kick me off this wonderful forum!
Please give me opinion's on a S&W 586-2 gentleman.
I know it's not truly the old vintage stuff, but she'll be a shooter!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JOG wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:06 pm Congratulations on your return to Maine! I stopped by the trading post about two hours ago myself.
They had a 1987 S&W 586-2 with a 6 inch barrel and target grips that I just had to put on a 60 day hold. 94 or 95% for $675.00.
20% down on the card to hold her for me. Boy's they had a Winchester 1873 in 38-40 if memory serves me correctly. $1,495.00
What caught my eye was a old Springfield Armory 410 side by side! It looked to be a good 70 or 80 years old. $695.00
As far as a 200lbs Partridge goes. I think that Lori Partridge from the Partridge family would be worth a look!
Although if she 200 lbs. maybe not! Some of you fella like the big one's! To each there own.
I remember when OldWin sent me a photo of his prom date from 1977.
This momma had more necks then my neighbor Deshawn Washington Sunday gizzard stew!
He knew this one was a keeper when she drank all of his Old Spice aftershave just before his mom was getting ready to take photo's!
It's the only prom photo' I've ever seen with a date strapped to a flatbed before! The Budweiser keg really brings all the elements together in the photo! :D
I'm just kidding everybody. Please don't kick me off this wonderful forum!
Please give me opinion's on a S&W 586-2 gentleman.
I know it's not truly the old vintage stuff, but she'll be a shooter!
Oh Lordy! You and I could have a blast in deer camp............we'd be laughing like crazy.... :D

"Drank the Old Spice Aftershave"

The 586 will be your forever gun.......as far as I'm concerned the L frame Smith is THE best frame size for the 357.....it's just my personal opinion but Smith knew Colt had the best sized frame in the Python.......Smith even copied the underlug of the Python.

Good buy considering the current climate.

Hey Johnny.....could you imagine deer camp with a bunch of intellectuals? Not a spot of dirt on their clothes, listening to Beethoven with the volumn turned down to ease their anxiety..........having a designated camp cook . Hot showers and a commercial Johnny-on-da-spot toilet with air fresheners and throw away toilet seat covers......

Then, in the morning, or whenever they get up...usually after the sun comes up as they are afraid of "creatures that might lurk in the dark" begin their adventure, probably for the first time in their miserable existence....Ok, picture this.....the four educated hunters , with their new clothes on, all huddled together because they are afraid of being without each other for support.......with their shiny new rifles glistening in the frosty light......then they come up to a group of rednecks like you, me, Jay and Gunny......and tell US how to hunt. :D
Model A Uzi’s
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

JOG wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:06 pm As far as a 200lbs Partridge goes. I think that Lori Partridge from the Partridge family would be worth a look!
Don't think I'd want to taste that Partridge!

The '73 must have come in in the past few days as I was there Saturday and there wasn't a 38-40 ' 73 there then.

$675 sounds more than reasonable for a 586 that's in good shape.

Eric
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

If you find a house in York county you'll find yourself stopping in the Trading post quite often!
The stuff that comes thru there is amazing!
It's all about timing.
Yeah Six, we would have a ball together in a deer camp setting!
I saw one fellow walking out of the trading post wearing about two thousand dollar worth of Filson hunting clothing. Coat ,pant's ,hat ,vest.
I actually like that old time green wool coat and pants. They start at about $500.00 for the jacket.
Perhaps $200.00 but $500.00 seems way overpriced! Yeah Six, flapjacks and Jack Daniels at 3.30 am, then up the tree with a vintage Winchester.
What could possibly go wrong. :P
Johnny