Hammer Strap on a Conceal Carry Holster

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Hammer Strap on a Conceal Carry Holster

Post by TraderVic »

I'm looking at a Simply Rugged pancake holster to conceal carry my GP100 Wiley Clapp 357 3" revolver. Many of you are quite experienced using holsters, what are the pros and cons of a hammer strap ?
Thank you..
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hammer Strap on a Conceal Carry Holster

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

A strap or hammer thong can be really handy on a horse. Otherwise, I think it gets in the way.

The way these holsters work, you really don't need a strap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Riding a horse, motorcycle or 4-wheeler, or for any strenuous activity, the extra security is well worth having the strap. But the holster is quite secure as-is, more than need be for everyday concealed carry. In years past I have turnerd somersaults while wearing one, and the gun never shifted.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am with what has been stated above.
Another thing to think about: Concealed carry is based on the premise of needing a gun in a hurry. With a shirt over it you already will be busy getting stuff out of the way. Why add another layer of difficulty? It is quite common for people to grab their shirt with their gun and screw up the first shot or two.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Actually, I was thinking along the same lines Jim, but I wanted to run this by you guys here for comment. I must say I do like just two slots in Scott's holster as I doubt I'd need or want to carry "cross draw". I don't have a beef herd anymore, don't ride horses, just my old International and a JD Gator. Mostly walking, both woods and trails.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just my 2 cents worth. Concealed carry holsters usually keep the gun in place pretty well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

TraderVic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:50 pm Actually, I was thinking along the same lines Jim, but I wanted to run this by you guys here for comment. I must say I do like just two slots in Scott's holster as I doubt I'd need or want to carry "cross draw". I don't have a beef herd anymore, don't ride horses, just my old International and a JD Gator. Mostly walking, both woods and trails.
The two slot design is what I insist on when I order a holster. I wear them all in the same place and another slot just isn't needed. These holsters are very good for retention and I have never had my gun fall out. If you felt the need for more security for something more strenuous, you can pull in your belt one notch. The revolvers in particular ride well in these and are shaped to hold them in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know it isn't the way most 1912 fans do it, but I won't carry a 1912 I'm condition one without a strap under the hammer. Carrying one throughout most of my 20's and early 30's I got so in that habit that it seems odd NOT to have a thumb strap, so yo keep theuscle-memory as consistent as possible I pretty much always have a thumb-strap type holster.

Then again, if I head out into a dark parking my CCW isn't likely going to be in a holster; I just carry it in my hand, in a paper bag or under whatever box I might be carrying, etc...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

For concealed carry I would go with a quality leather holster with a horsehide lining. Even better if it is boned (molded to the shape of the gun). I recently purchased one from Plumb Creek Leather on FB for a very reasonable price. I would post a pic, but I dont have a website for a url.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

TraderVic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:46 pm I'm looking at a Simply Rugged pancake holster to conceal carry my GP100 Wiley Clapp 357 3" revolver. Many of you are quite experienced using holsters, what are the pros and cons of a hammer strap ?
Thank you..
I've been using one of Simply Rugged's pancakes since Rob was turning them out by hand on his own. Their quality has only gone up since then, they keep getting better and Rob's got a first class team working for him. So in regards to your question about the retention strap, here's my $0.02 on the matter after using one of his original holsters for the past 15 years or so.

If you order the holster for the revolver you're planning to carry in it (ie: not trying to fit something else into it), then you'll receive a holster that will retain your revolver under any circumstances you can imagine and many you can't. The boning of the holster to the gun helps it to retain the piece exceptionally well. BUT, when you go to draw the weapon it readily slides into your hand. A key piece in the puzzle is a good belt.

I highly recommend Rob's belts and believe they are well worth the money. But any heavy duty belt designed for carrying weapons should work, it's just that I've had experience with his product and that's what I wear. Together with the pancake holster you can count on your revolver staying in place and being available in a heartbeat if you are called on to access it quickly. I don't see how a retaining strap would make it safer, but CAN see how a retaining strap could be a liability with the PANCAKE holster. Some holsters are designed around the strap, adding one to a pancake is unnecessary if the holster in question is built for the gun you're carrying.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I appreciate all of your comments. My new holster will not have a hammer strap. I currently wear a heavy Galco belt which as worked very well for conceal carry, actually any carry (IDPA too). I actually need a new belt now that my wife has me eating healthier and I'm losing weight down to where I realistically should always be (why do carbs have to taste so good ?!).
Regards, Vic
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:18 pm Then again, if I head out into a dark parking my CCW isn't likely going to be in a holster; I just carry it in my hand, in a paper bag or under whatever box I might be carrying, etc...
Do you live in Beruit?
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

TraderVic wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:02 am I appreciate all of your comments. My new holster will not have a hammer strap. I currently wear a heavy Galco belt which as worked very well for conceal carry, actually any carry (IDPA too). I actually need a new belt now that my wife has me eating healthier and I'm losing weight down to where I realistically should always be (why do carbs have to taste so good ?!).
Regards, Vic
Yep, I had to have Rob make me a new belt as the other one already had too many holes in it.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AmBraCol wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:37 pm Yep, I had to have Rob make me a new belt as the other one already had too many holes in it.
I wear a Simply Rugged "Man Belt" every day. I find it more comfortable than my old heavier gun belts. But it is still has plenty of stiffness to support everything I wear on my belt.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:41 am
AJMD429 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:18 pm Then again, if I head out into a dark parking my CCW isn't likely going to be in a holster; I just carry it in my hand, in a paper bag or under whatever box I might be carrying, etc...
Do you live in Beruit?
No but it isn't all that unusual for pharmacists or nurses or physicians to be ambushed when they go out to their car at night. People figure they will have money on them, and maybe drugs. Sometimes it is someone angry about a bad medical outcome.

I've had shots fired at MY home the day after I caught and terminated a patient for having meth and unprescribed suboxone in his urine drug screen; dunno for sure it was him but meth-heads are not very rational. Caught one today and terminated him and will be in condition orange a few days.

One of my peers was attacked when she was in the parking garage at the hospital, and her sticking the gun in the guy's face made him get religion, but she reported it to the police and word got back to the hospital administrator who freaked that an ER doc might have a g-g-gun and they met with her and told her she couldn't have s gun on hospital property. So she quit and does telemedicine now.

Another classmate was less fortunate; he was killed in a home-invasion a couple of years ago right before Thanksgiving
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

None of my carry gun holsters have straps. I buy decent holsters that are form fitted, and don't need a strap. I do use straps, or other retaining systems on handguns I carry as backup when hunting. Just not for daily carry guns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What AmbraCol said.

The Simply Rugged Pancakes work very well indeed, especially for short-barrelled guns.

I have a Rossi 357 in one of their holsters and I have forgotten I'm wearing it before.
Same with the rig I have for a Model 10 - which happens to fit the S&W 357s just fine, too.

I've also got a couple of Fobus holsters that work very well, too.

-Stretch
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For hunting backup guns, I can totally see the need for a strap. Your rifle is your main firearm there.
D. Brian Casady
Steve in MO
Levergunner

Post by Steve in MO »

My #120 holsters from Simply Rugged have retention straps, because that's how the 120 is made, but neither of them is a concealment holster. I have one of Rob's Loaded Pancake holsters for my 4" Model 29, and it has a thumb break on it. Rob had it for some reason and sent it to me that day. Other than those, none of my Simply Rugged holsters has a thumb break or hammer thong of any kind.
"When the shooting stops, and the dead are buried, and the politicians take over; it all adds up to one thing: a lost cause."
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I’ll have to side with those who don’t care for straps on a holster for concealed carry. The sometimes heard reason to use them, to protect against gun grabs, is weak fir a properly concealed handgun.

On open carry, generally for recreational purposes, I like them. In fact, I like full flap holsters for many outdoor activities.

And while we are discussing security I’m a big fan of lanyards for outdoor recreational uses. I once almost lost a handgun when it was inadvertently dropped unnoticed.

I discovered lanyards when I purchased a 1917 S&W. I’ve had them installed on quite a few handguns since.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Seems that experience among everyone here all goes about the same direction as far as concealed and open carry with or without retention straps/thongs/full flap covers. It also seems to follow the thinking of every experienced group I know of on the subject.
D. Brian Casady
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Common practice is because it works.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad