From The College Of Marlin Knowledge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

From The College Of Marlin Knowledge

Post by Pete44ru »

For those who like a tight shooting sling, that won't effect the barrel and/or forend - one end goes on the butt, the other sling eye is a direct replacement for the bottom front floorplate screw.

The sling goes around the elbow of the forward arm, after it's been adjusted for a tight fit in the firing position.

Just be sure to use a sling eye with the same size threads as the Marlin screw - Don't ask me how I found out how desireable that little matchup is.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That is the RIGHT way to do this
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Hey, that's interesting! Can you post a picture of the sling in use?
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

+1 for the pics

I would think that would be kind of top heavy for just walking around with it slung on your shoulder and kind of awkward to get into shooting position with. I am probably wrong, it's just hard to picture. It does sound really interesting though.

John
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Now that's neat!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sorry, I don't have any pics with a sling in place, & my son's off to Canada on a bear stickin' trip with the camera for a few weeks.

I'd like to apologize, for not showing the entire rifle, which has THREE sling eyes installed - one in the toe of the buttstock as a rear anchor, a second on the forend cap as a forward anchor for carrying (on this gun - others have it on the mag tube), and the third (pictured) where the front sling loop is relocated to, when "on stand" and set up for shooting with the sling.

I've also just run a sling (at times) between the action-mounted sling eye and the forward mag tube eye - it looks funny, but carries OK.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Any pics of how a sling like this works? I can't picture it in my head. Somebody school me...! :?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Click the below hyperlink, and scroll down to the drawing of the short loop use.

The drawing shows the forward position, which is handier for carrying.

For a rear short loop, just move the sling ends from the front/middle to the middle/rear.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting ... ling_0612/
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

A Ching sling for a Marlin, great idea! I set up a couple scout rifles based on Mausers that way but never thought about it on the Marlin. Great way to go without altering the rifle. I'm going to make a few of them up - now where did I put that thread pitch guage...

If you guys are interested in knowing more about the 3 point sling setups, do some searching on Jeff Cooper's ideas on Scout rifles. This is an pretty integral part of the Scout idea and this sling setup works well on any bolt gun. Finn Aagaard also did an article on the use of this and other shooting (as opposed to carrying) sling types. It was in the American Rifleman, likely in the late 80's - early 90's. That should keep you busy awhile.
Keep your sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

KA -CHING ! ! :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

Pete44ru wrote:KA -CHING ! ! :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MAR-CHING :D
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.