Pat Garrett's pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Pat Garrett's pistol

Post by Rusty »

According to our local news Pat Garrett's pistol that he used to kill Billy the Kidd was auctioned off in L.A. for over 6 million dollars. I was wondering who on here bought it?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Pat Garrett's pistol

Post by piller »

I don't think any one on here is that wealthy.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

That's gonna make Johnny Ringo's look darn cheap. I see it is estimated Ringo's will bring between 80 and 100K.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I pass by the sign noting Garrett's murder site outside Las Cruces, NM, several times a month. Still need to pay a visit to Fort Sumner.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Pat Garrett shot the wrong guy.....several times.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190803 ... connection

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/08/ ... -as-billy/

They are paying much too much money for a pistol when the man died in his bed many years later.;-)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We might never have the proof.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 33wcfshooter »

I don't doubt that the colt was Garrett's and that it was at Fort Sumner that night. But the story from the Maxwell ranch hands said Garrett ambushed the kid with a shotgun. Sounds like that might be the true story. The Colt had an interesting life though it and a winchester 73 44 were taken from one of the gang when Garrett arrested Billy at Stinking Springs. Sad to see that collection get split up, hopefully Cody or some other museum picked it up.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There are many stories about the way the Kid died, the Brushy Bill variant probably the most popular alternative.
Another I heard locally (this is the heart of Kid county) comes from the Mescaleros -- and an old woman with healing knowledge who gave the Kid a special handkerchief and told him if he ever needed her help to send it to her. Many years after the Fort Sumner confrontation, a courier brought the woman the handkerchief and she followed him to a place in the Gila River mountains and found the Kid, who had become quiet a rancher, deathly ill with pneumonia. She supposedly nursed him back to health and he subsequently vanished into history.
The Kid's mother lies in the cemetery in Silver City. It would settle the matter of Brushy Bill to extract DNA samples from the remains of both.
The Kid was buried in Fort Sumner near his bosom pals, Tom O'Folliard and Charlie Bowdry, but the location of the graves of all three has been lost over the years due to flooding and the passage of time.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Saw the Ft Sumner headstone years ago (40+) coming back from a Colorado elk/mulie hunt. It was located next to a huge antique and junk store. It was on that same trip I saw and purchased a1958 XK 150 Jaguar from a tree nursery. Fantastic trip.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The Kid leaned out this very window of the Lincoln County Courthouse and killed Deputy Bob Olinger with his own shotgun on April 28, 1881, Lincoln, New Mexico.
The Kid supposedly liked his other guard, James Bell, but killed him as well during his escape that day.

ImageIMG_20171026_131501120_HDR by ComeWatson, on Flickr
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 33wcfshooter »

Olinger's Whitney 10 gauge the kid used was in the auction too Ihttps://www.bonhams.com/auctions/27262/lot/9/
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Patrick Floyd Jarvis Garrett was 3 years old when, along with his family, immigrated to Claiborne Parish, Louisiana in 1853. They had a large plantation there and is where Pat grew up.

I live approximately 40 miles from the site of his parents plantation and I didn't know it until last fall!

Following the deaths of his parents in 1867 and 1868 the plantation was sold to satisfy outstanding debts, so the 18 year old Garrett drifted west and the rest is history.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The truth is that I don't know whether Garrett killed the Kid that night. At this point it doesn't matter. I do find it interesting that firearms like this bring so much money when at the time they were simply tools.