Recent Acquisitions....w/Pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Recent Acquisitions....w/Pics

Post by jfwlb »

I attended a firearm auction a couple of weeks ago and picked up these three beauties:

The top one is a Rossi SRC (but no sr? :?: ) in .357 mag. and 20" barrel. The Auctioneer said it has had an action job and that the previous owner was a SASS shooter. The ser. # is in the K075xxx range, any way to tell when it was born? It also has a Marbles' Tang site and looks to be "antiqued up". Also, the lever seems a little loose when the action is open, moves a little, side to side. Is this normal?

In the middle is a marlin 39A, with a ser.# prefix "K" that I think put it's born on date to be 1953. I didn't notice during the inspection period, but when I picked it up yesterday I was surprised to find that the number part of the ser.# is my birth year! 8) :mrgreen: This rifle has no side play like the Rossi, which is why I asked that question.

And finally, is the only non-lever, an Uberti SAA .38 with a birdseye grip frame and a 3 1/2" barrel.

On to the PICS:

What do y'all think? Did I do good? Any tips or things I need to do before I shoot them? Also, some dang fool pulled out the Marlin trademark in the buttstock of the 39, how do I put a new one in there? Another thing,(sorry) is that the previous owner of the Rossi had tacked a strip of leather over the metal buttplate with what looks like some type of silicone. I took off the leather strip, but any ideas of how to clean off the silicone without scratching the buttplate?

Thanks,
John
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Try a little WD-40 and some elbow grease. I'm not sure if it will do the job, but it works on a whole bunch of stuff.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks, piller, I'll try that.

John
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Call Marlin and ask for a new "bullseye". They will probably send it for free. It may take a little sanding to get it to fit. Use epoxy to secure it.

A little Birchwood Casey Stock Wax, on the wood, a little Break Free and a light rub of 0000 steel wool and it will have a whole new "refreshed" look to it.

Real nice.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow - that looks like a heck of a score!!! :D
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Congrats on a nice set of irons. Like others said, a little elbow grease and they should come out looking nice.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

jdad: thanks for the info. Can you expand a little on the stock work? I have never done any work on gun stocks and I would like to try. Any good sites for tutorials? And what do I do with the Break free on the stock?

Y Kid: Thanks! There were some excellent deals there.

meanc: Thanks!

John
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

jfwlb wrote:jdad: thanks for the info. Can you expand a little on the stock work? I have never done any work on gun stocks and I would like to try. Any good sites for tutorials? And what do I do with the Break free on the stock?

Y Kid: Thanks! There were some excellent deals there.

meanc: Thanks!

John
John,
PM Sent

David
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Very Nice!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Dont think you need any other firearms, that just about covers most needs in one session!!! :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot