Shout Out for Hornady

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Shout Out for Hornady

Post by CowboyTutt »

As some of you may know, I have a CZ 550 Safari rifle chambered in 375 H&H Ackley Improved that was further modified to accept a 0.25 inch longer cartridge. Some 6 months ago McPherson put me onto Hornady's 375 caliber 390 grain A-Tip bullet with a G1 BC of .987. It took me many months to find some and now I have about 300 of them. They are premium bullets and are the longest feasable to use in my 1:12 twist (similar weight monolithic bullets from other companies are too long to stabilize.) As I started to read more, it turns out these VLD (very low drag) bullets often need a different shape in the seating die but I could not find one in 375 anywhere. McPherson contacted Hornady and they sent me a custom, 1 of a kind 375 VLD bullet seating die for free!!!!! I would gladly have paid for it but they did not even ask. They even paid for shipping.

Tipping my cowboy hat off to Hornady!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shout Out for Hornady

Post by 2ndovc »

Well that's cool!

I have a couple of CZs, great rifles. I keep looking at the 550 Safari and then look at all the bolt actions I have and think, do I really need another one.
:D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Unfortunately for all of us, the CZ 550 in magnum cartridges has ceased production and you can see this on its website when you look and this YouTube channel as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O5WrOIc0Ho

I bought mine over a decade ago. I had it gunsmithed by a competent gunsmith in Monterey, CA, who did a good job on the conversion, (No, McPherson had absolutely nothing to do with this build, but it followed the principals that he taught me, make the action long as feasable.)

It apparently was worth the effort. It was dumb luck that the magnum full length action, and also the magazine could accommodate such an oversized cartridge. One of the very best conversions I have ever made.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It turns out the good men and women at Hornady took an interest in my project and wanted to help. I will have to report back to them. -Tutt

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Next time you talk to them, ask them to make their .405 Win. brass again! Not sure why they stopped as it was a good selling brass for them, and still in high demand!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:15 am Next time you talk to them, ask them to make their .405 Win. brass again! Not sure why they stopped as it was a good selling brass for them, and still in high demand!
I strongly second Marlinman's request. I have not fired my .405 in over three years since I lost all my brass and ammo in the 2018 Carr Fire here in Shasta County, CA. I have kept a constant search but there is no affordable brass available. Three bucks apiece is not a reasonable price when it cost just eighty cents during Hornady's production.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Shasta wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:00 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:15 am Next time you talk to them, ask them to make their .405 Win. brass again! Not sure why they stopped as it was a good selling brass for them, and still in high demand!
I strongly second Marlinman's request. I have not fired my .405 in over three years since I lost all my brass and ammo in the 2018 Carr Fire here in Shasta County, CA. I have kept a constant search but there is no affordable brass available. Three bucks apiece is not a reasonable price when it cost just eighty cents during Hornady's production.

Shasta
What's odd is Hornady still sells their loaded .405 Win. ammo. Crazy priced at Midway USA at $99 aa box, but I saw it as cheap as $56 a box elsewhere. If I had a gun in this caliber I'd probably just buy loaded ammo for a few boxes, to have the empty brass, vs. nutty $3 a case price for empty brass, and it's crappy Bertram.

Optics Planet shows Hornady brass in bags of 50 for $105, so a lot cheaper, but still not cheap.
I'm always looking, and a year ago I saw someone on a forum mention Gary Reeder Guns had gotten in a backorder of 20,000 pieces of .405 Win. Hornady brass. The price was about .75 cents a piece, and a limit of 500 pcs. per customer. I immediately called them, and ordered 500 pcs. as I've got 6 rifles that I use .405 to form either .40-70SS, or .40-70 Ballard for. I asked how much they had left then, and was told only 5000 as the rest had already been sold. I think it all went in a few days.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

A little cheaper. I think the cost of raw materials has gone up that cases are super expensive anymore. -Tutt

https://opticsandammo.com/product/horna ... -mfg-8691/

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

CowboyTutt wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:06 pm A little cheaper. I think the cost of raw materials has gone up that cases are super expensive anymore. -Tutt

https://opticsandammo.com/product/horna ... -mfg-8691/
Thanks for that link Tutt, but they are not accepting any new orders so it's still unobtainium for me.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That's too bad. It took me 3 months to find 303 Brit brass and it was restricted to 3 bags. -Tutt