Shooting and/or Loading Strange Shotgun Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Shooting and/or Loading Strange Shotgun Ammo

Post by AJMD429 »

The Roundball thread reminded me of this YouTube channel; I didn’t want to clog that thread up with unrelated projectile stuff, but this ‘taofledermaus’ dude has some interesting specialty factory shotgun shells he evaluated, and some very unusual loads he makes himself.

C8B427A7-04DF-44E4-AFC3-EADD7AFF43AE.jpeg
In one he has a specialty load that is >3,000 FPS with a 130 grain projectile....from a shotgun; of course the projectile isn’t lead, but it is marketed as a ‘home defense’ loading that will stop the intruder but not go through a bunch of walls and cause collateral risk like lead would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-n4bxxn9gA

Link to Taofledermaus Channel =——> https://www.youtube.com/taofledermaus

Fun and interesting stuff there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting and/or Loading Strange Shotgun Ammo

Post by Grizz »

I like that guy. Can't figure out what his handle means, if anything. maybe it's made by computer the way drugs are these days. anyway, T-Man has good stuff.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Well, Fledermaus is German for Bat. Tao is some sort of reference to something about philosophy.
Could be the philosophy of someone who has a few bats in the belfry. The dude is a bit goofy. Funny, yes. Would I do what he does? No!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Zen Bat....sort of. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Back in the 1960's a group who called themselves The Minutemen published a little manual on what all you can do with a single shot 12 gauge shotgun and handloads. They had everything from flares to armor piercing rounds ... stuff you don't usually hear about. I think they made the first Dragon's Breath for the 12 ga ... a flame-thrower round that would put out a ball of fire 35 or 40 yards. I shot one in my old single shot Stevens 12 ga. one night. It blinded me for a few minutes and recoil was so severe that I accidentally unlatched the barrel and ejected the empty, just by having my right thumb in the wrong location. Onlookers said the fire nearly hit my horse shed about 50 yards away.

My Dad made up an armor piercing round using a tapered roller bearing wrapped in oiled linen as a projectile. It went through close to a half inch of steel, shooting through and old plow wheel.

Fun stuff!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is definitely amazing what can be accomplished in a shotgun, given the breech pressure must be extremely low compared to the bottlenecked rifle cartridges we are so used to.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A buddy with a huge connection gave me some 12 ga with an explosive in them.......these babies were loud! They go about a hundred yard then blow up.....a fox was standing in the field around a hundred yards in daylight so I grabbed a double of some sort, loaded a round...aimed about 6' over his head and let loose....these were powered by black powder.....the round blew up about exactly where I aim over the foxes head and he must have jumped 6'.

Then he has some 20 ga ammo that when they hit something, it would blow up....loud. We went out with a box or two of them and shot up rocks and trees at his place upstate.....scares stuff...these were LE ammo...

We shot em up like trap loads. Had another box that were miniature nuclear bombs made into 410 shotgun shells. They would go about 20 miles then blow up...even had the mushroom cloud but the cloud was only about 100 meters high. They would totally wipe out warehouses, huge buildings, overpasses, and even small mountains.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Years ago a good friend owned a trap range, he allowed us kids to leave our ammo( 5 gallon buckets full) on-site. I would take the holes from the paper punch and load confetti rounds and on occasion drop one into someone else's bucket o shells. We would be shooting along when all of a sudden bang and the target would keep going with all this confetti raining down.
Ballistic Products has lots of load data for RB, slugs & buckshot. A RB with a very heavy dose of lilgun in the 410 approaching 2300 fps would certainly ruin an intruders day!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

utub is full of russian 12Ga "ammo" variations. some of which would be appropriate for a breech loading blunderbuss, if such a thing exists. taper roller bearing might be my next experiment. seems like it would be a challenge to get it to hit end first. i don't have a rifled barrel, and my only break action is 20 Ga, so fun to try. 20 Ga has high potential.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:58 am Had another box that were miniature nuclear bombs made into 410 shotgun shells. They would go about 20 miles then blow up...even had the mushroom cloud but the cloud was only about 100 meters high. They would totally wipe out warehouses, huge buildings, overpasses, and even small mountains.
Hey Sixgun! If you have any of those left I would like a couple.
I can trade you either a henway or a Bersa .22 Thunderer that never misses at 15 cm.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:43 am
Hey Sixgun! If you have any of those left I would like a couple.
I can trade you either a henway or a Bersa .22 Thunderer that never misses at 15 cm.
Sounds great Jim! I recently got some in 12 gauge designed for large cities and 20 gauge for towns.....my contacts are presently making some for me in 22 L.R.....those will be used for felling trees, getting large obstructions out of the road etc.

BUT...BUT....I will only do the deal if you have the box and instruction manuals......the Bersa did come with a box, didn't it? Or did it come in plain brown paper held together with masking tape? :D

Oh boy, this is fun! lets keep it rolling.....Uberti's come packaged wrapped in olive oil with brown paper tied together with bailing string...

Rossi's don't come in nothing...they give them away as door prizes at Sanford & Son Salvage....(Lamont, Grady, and Bubba make them in the back)
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:33 pm BUT...BUT....I will only do the deal if you have the box and instruction manuals......the Bersa did come with a box, didn't it? Or did it come in plain brown paper held together with masking tape? :D
I have the box and the manual.
On the manual it plainly says: Esta pistola fina solo puede ser utilizada por aquellos que hablan el idioma de Dios: español.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok Jim....as you are the Master, I take your word for it that the Polish words mean, "Thank for for purchasing a Bersa known as the world's first disposable gun....please deposit in dumpster, next to the many Rossi's you are sure to find after using 10 rounds....if it shoots that many." :D

I tell ya.....we have lots of fun around here.....and I know for certainty that YOU know what quality is...

Notice anything here on Leverguns lately?...yep, you guessed it......not too much bragging on Rossi's anymore....I bet Rossi Inc. has a hit planned on me and I better be worried because the hitman is sure to be using a COLT.!!! :D ----0--0--0--0--0--6
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Well Sixgun .. I have not been writing about shooting my Rossi's because I have not been shooting them. They are fine. Sighted in. Working well. Reliable. But I don't shoot rifles and carbines much at all .. not any kind. I would rather shoot handguns. That's just my preference. No one need agree with it. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have never experimented with making anything other than normal shotgun shells.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:22 am I have never experimented with making anything other than normal shotgun shells.
well, nothing wrong with that. i like to see what if the "what ifs" will or won't
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not a thing wrong with experimentation. I just haven't done it with shotguns. Without experimentation, we might not have guns as we know them.
D. Brian Casady