Range time and some wild weather.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Range time and some wild weather.

Post by 2ndovc »

It's supposed to storm all week so I ran out to the range this morning before the heavy stuff got here.

I wanted to shoot my little Blackhawk 10mm/.40 S&W again. When I got it, .40s were tough to find and pretty pricy but I found some once fired brass and 155 gr.. LSWCs. So, with a little Bullseye I shot a .40 S&W for the very first time. Recoil was pretty mild and didn't do too bad for the first time out at 25yds. I found a nice pile of empties at the range, so I'll see if I can cut that group down a bit. It would make a fine farm/ trail gun for around here since we don't have any big nasties to worry about. :D

I also wanted to work with the FrankenFinn a bit more, especially after I dropped it right on the scope about a month ago. Blondie still hasn't noticed the dent in the bamboo floor. :shock:

Started out with some Tula 148 FMJs at 50 yds. No worries. Group opened up to 2 1/4" because of that first shot. I forgotten about that Timney trigger.
Second group was what I wanted to see. Privi Partizan 174 FMJs, 44 grains of Varget and some new Privi P. brass, 1" at 50 yds. As expected, it favors the heavier bullets.
Next trip will be sighting it in at 100 yds and more heavy bullets.

Then a couple hours after I got home, the "Big One" hit. Don't know how much rain yet, but we haven't had it in the yard for a couple years. Fortunately the little storage garage and the main house are well above the flood plain.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Range time and some wild weather.

Post by AJMD429 »

A few years back, we had 9.6 inches of rain in between going to sleep I think around 1:30 am and waking up (with leaves no longer dripping water from trees) around 5:30 am. I didn't believe it, until I saw railroad ties moved 75 yards, two heavy plastic 24 ft culvert pipes that were laying around moved 50 yards and shoved under a fence, and a 24" deep rut cut across the driveway exposing a 16" gas pipeline... :shock:

Radar (had to go to my brother's, who is a weather-nut, and has a subscription so can view past months and days radar and so on) showed a small storm cell about a quarter mile wide and a couple long that slowly came over our place, turning purple on the weather radar, and looking that color up (which I'd never seen before on the radar) in their map-legend, it says "rainfall rate exceeding 6 inches per hour". It was over our place a couple hours, so I guess it fit. Never anything like that since. Neighbor had a tree about 12" in diameter slide down onto the road off his steep hill, travelling about 80 yards, with a root ball about 12 x 15 feet or so. We had an air conditioner in the bedroom that was loud, and we heard 'something' outside while asleep, but once we figured it wasn't a tornado, just thought it was ordinary rain and wind and went back to sleep...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sounds like you timed it right, your Blackhawk would make a nice trail gun alright..... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Doc,

This one came in hard and fast. It was like someone hitting the front of the house with a firehose for about half an hour, then it was gone. I didn't think much of it until I heard no. 2 sump pump kick on and not turn off. That one is big and loud and they still ran nonstop for a couple hours. Water has gone down about 6" now and the sun is back out.

GK,
I've never paid much attention to the .40 S&W before, really bought it to shoot 10mm but I think I'm going to like shooting it more with the .40 cyl. Recoil wise it's like shooting a warm .38spl Vs. the loud and snappy 10mm.

Water ended up about Half a Lab deep. :D

jb 8)

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm with ya there. Just never paid any attention to it, already had enough plastic 9's that I didn't need yet another caliber, but here we are. Guess there's a reason for the 40+ sets of dies in my reloading room. :shock:

Because of the storms and already scheduled stuff, I'll be going by a couple of shops tomorrow. I do want to pick up a box or two of factory stuff.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have both a 10mm and a couple of .40 calibers. Both calibers are useful. That Ruger would probably be better for most things than my Glock. Glad you had some fun with it. I like 155 grain lead and 7.2 grains of Accurate #5 for a .40 load. My Walther & Wesson model 99 likes that load.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If I had that 40 I might shoot more, I hate chasing brass in the weeds! Looks like a good shooter too. Half a Lab isn't all that deep, half a Great Dane well now that's a different story! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:38 am If I had that 40 I might shoot more, I hate chasing brass in the weeds! Looks like a good shooter too. Half a Lab isn't all that deep, half a Great Dane well now that's a different story! :D
No, wasn't all that deep just surprised how quickly it happened. We had over two inches of rain in less than an hour. Usually takes a 2-3 day Nor'Easter to do that around here. I just hoped it didn't get any deeper in the basement. Another couple of inches and I'd be replacing water heaters, etc.

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya Jason! Nothing worse than flood damage.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!