Classic Fighting Handguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Classic Fighting Handguns

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I liked this one for close-in work on my little brothers.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d4/b4/d6/d4b4 ... sday-s.jpg
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GOOD ONE Bill. ..i can remember it like it was this morning
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Six,

You'd do fine in a fight. On the internet, the "First rule of a gunfight is have a gun". In real life the first rule is to be aware that a fight is approaching and not to be surprised. When the fight starts many of those who didn't see it coming or don't believe it can happen to them freeze up. Excellent way to lose the fight. Awareness, mental preparedness, and willingness to kill are what is actually important. You want to fight like you're the third monkey on the Ark's ramp and brother, it's starting to rain.

If your mindset is right you don't 'default' to anything but fighting. Like Scott described. Those that haven't fought use terms and catch phrases off the 'net.

The second rule of a gunfight is have a gun on you. Not staged nearby. Thinking one will have time to get to a gun is like thinking that there's no need to carry a round chambered. Yea, maybe . . . but maybe not too.

You'd do fine.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Can't argue with that list at all!! Though I would add in the Second Model Dragoon and the 1851 Colt Navy. :D
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:05 pm Let's see Jim, since I shot IPSC in NE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas for several years in the late 70s and early 80s I guess I'll pick the Colt 1911A1 first and the S&W 1917 second as I really liked the revolver class. As a youngster well teenager, (barely) I got into Cap and Ball and shot it with a Remington but really preferred the Colt Army1860. But nowdays I mostly prefer and spend my time with the Colt SAA or Bisley. Oh, I've got a 2nd and a 3rd but mostly 1st gens catch my eye and cost me my money.
I shot IPSC starting in the early 80's and mid 80's at the Berryville matches, and sometimes we shot at the Fayetteville Police range, and I also competed at Tulsa some. Later on I shot IDPA in the 90's and later on. I always loved IPSC in the old days, before the equipment race got too crazy. I always shot a 5" Colt in the Primary (I always wanted a Wilson Comp gun,but couldn't afford it back then) and I shot a .357 L-frame and later on I wore out a Smith 25-2 (45 acp with full moon clips) in the revolver division. Back in those days, I shot revolvers better then I did the 1911. We may have competed at some of the same matches. I was a member of the Arkansas Combat Pistol League back then. If you shot in NW Arkansas, in the early 80's, you probably knew Jerry Brown, Bill Wilson, and maybe Snuffy Smith, Ross Carter, and a few others, who I can't remember their names, now.

Now days, I would have to say that the Colt Lightweight Commander is my most carried CCW pistol. I still carry it cocked and locked in a Milt Sparks IWB holster. I love the singleactions also, owned a lot of Rugers, and a Colt Second Gen .357. But a big old Smith 25-2 with a sack full of loaded full moon clips is still no slouch.
NRA Life Member, Patron
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Yes to all the IPSC stuff and I shot against all those guys. I even remember once at Fayetteville beating Ross because they had a stop plate about the size of a half dollar and my forte was hitting small targets. My usual shooter was built by Frank Pachmayr. Now I carry a 4 inch Kimber 45, love it. Like you, I preferred revolvers and had a 6 inch 25-2. Now I sometimes carry a Smith 1917 cut to 3.5 and Nickeled
Not the best pic but get the idea.
I think we visited at the Wanamacher a couple of times. Are you John from Batesville? Or do I have you mixed up with someone else?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Sadly, you left out Colt's 1851 Navy revolver; THE pivotal mark in the evolution of "fighging" handguns..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Buck Elliott wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:54 pm Sadly, you left out Colt's 1851 Navy revolver; THE pivotal mark in the evolution of "fighging" handguns..
That's true. But remember... these were my picks. I thought about the 1851 but my experiences with Italian clones in the early days kinda soured me on them. Not a fault of the originals. I liked the 1861 better.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The 1861 is much prettier!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:04 am The 1861 is much prettier!
Indeed it is... the 60 and 61 were the prettiest percussion revolvers and IMO, maybe the prettiest revolvers ever made.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

And that 1860 grip frame is the best replacement for a Single Action Army in my hands.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I like the loading lever on the 1860 and the 1861 better than the earlier ones also.

1851 Loading Lever
LL1105.JPG

1860 Loading Lever (same design as the 1861)
LL1010.JPG
I have bent the screws on the 1851 when loading oversize balls or conicals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never having used a Cap & Ball pistol, I can still see the strength difference that the gears would make.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I'm a Colt "New Service" nut and think they (including the '17) are about the top of revolver development, especially those with the "post-1905" improvements.

They just don't break. I've handled hundreds and owned about 30 over the years since 1954, examples manufactured from 1899 to 1939, and they all locked up tight, even some that had spent time someplace in SEA or North Africa and been stored in swamps or camel sheds. I only have three now, the 7 1/2" 1913 blue .44-40 my grandfather kept on his "hobby" ranch near the CA/MX border for his segundo to use to keep order, a 5 1/2" 1923 blue .38-40 I bought a few years ago from a fellow in Maine so my Winchester Single Shots in that caliber could have a little buddy, and a 4" blue 1939 .38 Spl. that was once a cop gun in MX and came with the nicest holster I've ever owned, made in Jalisco by a well-known saddler.

All the NSs work when you want them to, don't need a time out call to give you time to reload them in a scuffle, and shoot, from .38 "Super Police" to 476 Enfield, ctgs. that throw bullets you don't want to occupy the same space with once they leave the muzzle.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lots of good revolvers have been around over the years. Don't abuse them with high powered loads.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

'Classic' - in automobiles that usually means 'around for over fifty years' and 'popular or iconic'...

'Fighting' - 'used for confrontations with humans, in private, police, or military application'...

'Handguns' - 'firearms designed or generally used without mounting to the shoulder'...

So..............(just cuz I like to be a troublemaker... :twisted: ).............

How about these....????
Three-AR-Pistols-1024x842.jpg
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15-pistols/

Or these....'handguns'....

Tricked Out AR 'Pistol'.jpg
Kinda gonna be a SHOULDER fired firearm not an AR-pistol.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

handgun. AR47 with 7.5" barrel. and standard capacity mag just needs a little green laser and a wood hand grip . . . :)

classic firearm classic caliber Mi like
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

On that one It’d take me a minute to figure out which end was the safe one to be on... :D
86517006-F2D2-4178-8AE9-5CD558FD95E5.jpeg
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:49 pm .

On that one It’d take me a minute to figure out which end was the safe one to be on... :D

86517006-F2D2-4178-8AE9-5CD558FD95E5.jpeg
that's why I need a laser !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
LOVE the Schmidt & Bender on the shorty. THATS quality.......and obviously, you know quality..... :D

Well, as Doc says, a "fighting handgun" can be for military, LE and such.....

Here's a pair of "classic fighting guns......two Colts.....after 148 years the 1862 Colt Police is still running as fine as it did when it left the factory in 1873.....The 1878 Colt Philippine Constabulary ...a.k.a.wrongly, Alaskan in 45 Long Colt (U.S. issue) found its way to the Philippines sometime in 1902 or shorty after and still shoots as good as ever......wonder how many raghead Moros this gun sent to the "land of 73
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

WOW. Nice pair . . .
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Indeed a great pair!

I always wondered why the US Army didn't just buy Colt New Service .45s instead of the 1902. They were available and the British Empire had bought several thousand earlier to arm troops for the Boer War; Canadians, Brits, and Aussies. The USA waited until the "Improved Model" (it really was!) was available after 1905 and then adopted the "Improved" 1909 in .45 LC two years before the 1911 .45 Auto was adopted. The "Old Model" NSs worked fine, though and have some real advantages over the 1902--no more waving a white flag while you reload!

My grandfather was involved in the Moro business (he was training US Philippine Scouts, the germ of the Philippine Army, all OJT! The Moros lost, but they invented the suicide bomber. And they didn't go away, as we have seen in the past few years.).
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
I agree.....on "why they just didn't go to the New Service"......over a hundred years later we can only speculate......my guess is that the 1878 was on its way out due to it's fragility and powers of Colt... probably near gave them away......after all, from what I read, these 1878's were given to the Philippine police to
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

THAT is a NICE old Colt!
Beautiful.
That's when companies produced great guns.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:55 pm Doc,
LOVE the Schmidt & Bender on the shorty. THATS quality.......and obviously, you know quality..... :D
....but those were all stock internet pics...not my stuff... :( :( :(

I do gotz me a couple AR-pistolas though, that I’ve posted about.

Still...I don’t consider them “classic” even though they certainly handguns I’d grab if I couldn’t avoid a fight...!

Those revolvers you posted truly ARE classic fighting handguns though, and could tell some tales I bet...!

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Six,

Them's some beautiful Colts. Is that front sight factory on the Shooting Master? I see why you kept it. Nice, very nice.

Check your math young man: 2021 from 1862 equals 159 years. Back of the class for you! :)

Cat
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Catshooter wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:22 pm Six,

Them's some beautiful Colts. Is that front sight factory on the Shooting Master? I see why you kept it. Nice, very nice.

Check your math young man: 2021 from 1862 equals 159 years. Back of the class for you! :)
Cat
You got a good eye Cat! The original front sight, as you know, is flat topped adjustable.....don't know what happened to it..was replaced with a ramped sight with a dovetail for changing the sight. ....built in 1932.....the action is so smooth with a .427 groove diameter and .428 throats on both cylinders. The cylinders won't take a round larger than .428....2 lb trigger...it's so crisp it feels like a half pound.

A few years back I could have had a Colt Bisley Target in 38-40....I shot a few cylinders out of it....you know how rare they are..Target versions.....no finish but the gun was not used much...something must have taken the finish off....3 g's..worth twice that but I just got done buying two other first gen single actions and one of them was unfired so I was low on the green.

The 1862 Colt was made in 1873....it's the highest numbered 1862 I've ever seen.....maybe one of the last to leave the factory.....by then most were converted. But.....there still were old heads at the time who wanted the ability to "load their own".

6...O da bro

The "62 is a great shootin' gun....ain't shot it in a couple of years. .....it's been loaded
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

.]
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Had a visitor a few minutes ago.....this little guy comes and looks in
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

Can’t forget proven classics from abroad. Nambu type 38, German p08 Luger, Walther p38 and the original semi-auto pistol the broom handle Mauser.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

welfare fox. they're everywhere.

Six, you are the closest to a personal museum I've seen. looks like fun.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That fox probably keeps the mice very scarce.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:04 pm That fox probably keeps the mice very scarce.
probably votes for marxists too
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:04 pm That fox probably keeps the mice very scarce.
Yes Piller....we built in the middle of a pasture where field mice have their glory.......46 years later, not a mouse in the house....several outdoor semi feral cats help out.

The foxes are healthy and I leave em alone...they bring mange and I give them hot lead in return...

Grizz......it's all an illusion........once I drive out the driveway, the marxists are there giving me rules to abide by.....the odometer jumped 550 miles in the last year and a half.
Model A Uzi’s
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Sixgun, you got some beauties! The Shooting Master is the best of the best, especially a .44 combo.

SOME parts from a Python actually fit in a New Service, as long as it has the 1905-and-later lockwork. When I was rebuilding beat up .455s for shooters in the 1970-80s. i used Python mainsprings in several--they don't "stack" like some NS mainsprings do.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mike Armstrong wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:14 pm Sixgun, you got some beauties! The Shooting Master is the best of the best, especially a .44 combo.

SOME parts from a Python actually fit in a New Service, as long as it has the 1905-and-later lockwork. When I was rebuilding beat up .455s for shooters in the 1970-80s. i used Python mainsprings in several--they don't "stack" like some NS mainsprings do.
Thanks Mike.....when I was buying up all these old shootin irons, nobody wanted this stuff.......it was all considered old and outdated.....

Yep, as far as I'm concerned the New Service was the most rugged Colt double action ever made.....I like those N frames too...-----006
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:06 amHad a visitor a few minutes ago.....this little guy comes and looks in the window near every night.
I've seen that look on my pets... sez... "why haven't you left me any treats?" :(
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Six,

I think that fox wants you to come out and play catch!

Cat
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Toss him a milk bone and see him catch it.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

lotsa Colt talk, gotta mention my genuine police department Smith & Wesson, pinned & recessed, 4" Model 66. very accurate, the Best SA trigger I've ever owned. just think boom and boom, it falls down. whatever it is. made venison a time or two . . .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:57 pm
Sixgun wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:06 amHad a visitor a few minutes ago.....this little guy comes and looks in the window near every night.
I've seen that look on my pets... sez... "why haven't you left me any treats?" :(

I saw that look on a California welfare coyote in Death Valley. I teased him a little. Couldn't resist photoing an actual 4-leg panhandler.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Sixgun your collection is truly amazing!
Your should start your own museum of classic American firearms! Colts, Smiths, Winchesters and Marlins.
I have a few fox that show up here just about every night to!
Sometime I put a few beef bones out in the woods for them.
I'm trying not to bring in the bears!
After finally seeing a photo of sixgun, I now realize how much he resembles Grady from Sandford and Son!
Perhaps plastic surgery is the way to go! :D .Enjoy your hot sweaty weekend gentleman!
Johnny
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

(Fillin in for 6....he's taking his once a month shower.)

This is from a year or two ago...they come up every night and don't bother a thing....they will even eat side by side with the cats.

My wife and I have never received the same satisfaction in the "quality of life" department from people as we have had from animals...even toads and
Last edited by Jay Bird on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

JOG wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:52 pm Sixgun your collection is truly amazing!
Your should start your own museum of classic American firearms! Colts, Smiths, Winchesters and Marlins.
After finally seeing a photo of sixgun, I now realize how much he resembles Grady from Sandford and Son!
Perhaps plastic surgery is the way to go! :D .Enjoy your hot sweaty weekend gentleman!
Johnny
Hey Johnny.....what be happen bro? Sheeeeeeeeeeeettt...(fillin in for 6)

Hey man, Grady is cool but I fit more in the Bubba character......we watch Archie Bunker and Sanford and Son every weeknight...from 11-3 or when we feel like going to bed....

Fred G. Sanford and the "G" stands for GOOD GUNS....I was chastised the other day for using the word "beaner" in reference to our southern neighbors.....Geeze.......watch one episode of Sanford & Son or Archie Bunker and it goes much deeper than that....George Jefferson routinely calls Archie Bunker "honkey" and everyone laughs......have we all become that sensitive....or is it a plan????!

You go ahead and shoot those 33's up...just keep in mind I can't get the bullets.......could have had a box of the old Hornadys last week but the guy wanted 2 sets of fuzzy dice and a pair of chrome plated curb feelers for them.

Here's another pair
Last edited by Jay Bird on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK Jay Bird...party's over..now get back to the bunk house and while your at it, give Jay his buffalo coat back.

Do these count as fighting guns..all Colts....a first gen and a New Frontier ...all 38-40's.

Figure if gun writers can show off their stuff in national magazines I can here..but people don't like that...I'm supposed to have pictures of Uberti s.

Ahhh...I've been playing you boys.....all these pictures were taken off the Internet and pictures people sent me.......only handguns I have are a Bersa .22 and a cap gun.

]
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Jay Bird wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:06 pm
JOG wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:52 pm Sixgun your collection is truly amazing!
Johnny
Hey Johnny.....what be happen bro? Sheeeeeeeeeeeettt...(fillin in for 6)

Hey man, Grady is cool but I fit more in the Bubba character......we watch Archie Bunker and Sanford and Son every weeknight...from 11-3 or when we feel like going to bed....

Fred G. Sanford and the "G" stands for GOOD GUNS....I was chastised the other day for using the word "beaner" in reference to our southern neighbors.....Geeze.......watch one episode of Sanford & Son or Archie Bunker and it goes much deeper than that....George Jefferson routinely calls Archie Bunker "honkey" and everyone laughs......have we all become that sensitive....or is it a plan????!

You go ahead and shoot those 33's up...just keep in mind I can't get the bullets.......could have had a box of the old Hornadys last week but the guy wanted 2 sets of fuzzy dice and a pair of chrome plated curb feelers for them.

Here's another pair of fightin guns....Series 70 Colt with factory ivories and serial number 843 Flat Top Ruger with hand carved ivories with an eagle on both sides.... :D
You got that right about uptight people these days. I was watching All in the Family the other night when Mike called Archie a homophobe.
Archie said, Isn't that a killer F-g! I just about spit up the bowl of raisin bran I was eating! I miss the old days when people had thick skin!
I only shot about 15 rounds of the 50 so far. I've been working quite a bit. The last time I took the 86 out to the woods, I picked up 10 ticks!
Only on got into my skin. I quickly pull that little bastard out. I still have 50 Horady 33 cal.#3315 200 gr. flatpoint.
I know a guy with a box of 33, but he wants my $2,000 pimp suite including my imatation Stetson with pink peacock feathers.
I offered him a ride in my Gremlin with a dixie cup full of Muscatel and a fresh roll doobie of some fine skunk greenage!
He politely decline! I up the game and got him a date with my neighbor Liqueesha Jerome Taylor. She recently had her gender changed to female.
This gentelman is in for quite a shock if his date works out! A package deluxe! I hope they invite me to the wedding! There's nothing like smoked
neck bones with gizzards and collard greens! Quailty to say the least! Stay cool my friend!
Johnny
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I remember when Cajuns were called something all the time that would get you in trouble for today. Everybody wants to be offended.

Anyway, having issues with carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist. It is not fun. Fortunately I can do everything but sign my name left handed.
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

You mean "coonass?"
piller
Posting leader...