Cast Bullets for a 44 Big Boy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kaumheimer
Levergunner

Cast Bullets for a 44 Big Boy

Post by Kaumheimer »

Aloha Everyone,

My apologies if this subject has been covered 100 times. I'm going to acquire a Henry Big Boy Side Gate chambered in .44 Magnum.
The goal is to shoot at steel plates and make them dance.

Was wondering what kinds of cast bullets it likes to eat. Have had trouble in the past with lever guns being finicky.

I've read that they don't like SWCs or the Keith Bullet.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cast Bullets for a 44 Big Boy

Post by fordwannabe »

I have had several levers in 44 mag (no Henrys though) and all have run round nose flat points well.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

In my Rossis (2 .357s and 1 45 Colt) and in my toggle link rifles (2 1873 and 1 1860), I've found a Round Flat Nose (RFN) works best. Keiths and most semi-wadcutters have too wide of a meplat and cause the straight walled case to hang up during transition between angled on the carrier and horizontal into the chamber. The Marlins & Winchester lever guns, (1892 & 1894) were originally chambered in bottle-neck cases with round flat nose bullets. This aids that transition and makes for smooth feeding. I've also successfully used a truncated cone (TC) nose shape as long as the meplat is no more than approximately a ¼".

The 2 in the center are the best of the lot! Keep in mind, these are .452s for the 45 Colt. The Keith on the left will either catch on the lip of the chamber or jam up against the top of the chamber before it can finish coming horizontal to slide into the chamber. The WFN from LBT on the right will work in a toggle link, but not in either the Rossi or Marlin. If I seat it back in the case further, it will however.

YMMV.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Kaumheimer
Levergunner

Post by Kaumheimer »

Thanks guys! Appreciate the advice. Photo is very helpful.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My .480 Ruger caliber levergun likes anything up to 410 grain that is not a wide flat nose. Like everyone else noted in their leverguns, the transition from angled to horizontal is where issues can happen. Round nose flat point feed great in every levergun I have ever seen. So what if I have only seen it in about a dozen different rifles. Very limited experience can still be used as long as it is understood that it is limited.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Kaumheimer
Levergunner

Post by Kaumheimer »

Thanks Piller...

Another quick question. I've read that the Lee Crimp die is recommended. Is that an issue at all? Do the standard crimp dies do a good enough job? Anything else to recommend when loading for this beast?
mahalo
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Kaumheimer wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:30 pm Thanks Piller...

Another quick question. I've read that the Lee Crimp die is recommended. Is that an issue at all? Do the standard crimp dies do a good enough job? Anything else to recommend when loading for this beast?
mahalo
If you can, try some .430s and then some .431s and see which ones work mo betta.....I've never NOT used a Lee Factory Crimp.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

In my limited experience with my "Big Boy" carbine, it has no problem feeding SWC 's. Accuracy wise, it does seem to prefer gas checks.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am a LFC fan and when starting to reload for a new caliber, I just figure in the cost of a LFC for that caliber. I loaded THOUSANDS of rounds without one....don’t plan on loading many more without.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I like the Lee Factory Crimp die because it virtually eliminates the possibility of having a bullet set back inside the case thus raising pressure to who knows what. I consider that a problem with tubular magazines but you can eliminate that by just using black powder. I do both.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I really like the Lee 'Factory Crimp' dies - but note their 'pistol' dies are different than their 'rifle' dies - HOWEVER you can order 'rifle' TYPE dies for the 'pistol' cartridges...

Here's a thread showing the difference - https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... =1&t=36654

To me the 'rifle' type are the better option. I've had them made for 357 Mag,, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt, and I have them in 32-20, but I believe they already consider the 32-20 a 'rifle' cartridge. Got that type die when I got dies for the 218 Bee too, although I've not yet reloaded for that round.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Kaumheimer
Levergunner

Post by Kaumheimer »

Fordwannabe, Ray, AJMD429 and MM..everyone!

I appreciate your input on the Crimping. This is very helpful.

I'm a part time "gun writer" which doesn't necessarily mean I know anything! I mostly write a business column for our local newspaper. So I do know how to write.

I've loaded a lot of handgun rounds but almost none for a rifle other than a Winchester 92 chambered in .357. I'm hoping to do an article on the Henry for a local publication here in Hawaii.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Contact Veral at LBT molds. He will custom make you a mould for your rifle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Good luck with your article.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

two of my 48/70 leverguns don't like round flatnose ammo, and prefer to feed truncated cone style. our marlin 44 Mag only ever shot white box 240Gr and never hiccuped with that, and always put the bullets where the front sight was.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Oregon Trail makes a 240 gr RNFP that seems to feed in anything. I order them sized to .431 and they seem to work well in any .44 Special or Magnum load I try.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Between you, me and the fence post... the Lee Factory Crimp die is a totally useless piece of kit. If you properly set your dies, have consistent length brass and seat the bullet so the roll crimp is right in the crimp groove, you'll never set back a bullet into the case. At least in the 99.9999999% of the cases I've loaded without a FCD. I bought one for my .30-30s just to test out whether it makes a difference in accuracy... nada, zip, zilch, no difference at all. 46 years reloading without a FCD, 20 rounds with... same result, acceptable accuracy and no bullets set back in the case.

I will, however, in deference to my friends here, allow that a FCD will put a crimp on a bullet that has no crimp groove. That could be marginally better than a standard roll crimp die. However, I've loaded like 500 Sierra 125 grain HPs in my .30-30s that were were mis-manufactured without a crimp groove, and none of them set back in the case either, I just put a bit heavier roll crimp into the copper jacket.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Grizz wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:58 am two of my 45/70 leverguns don't like round flatnose ammo, and prefer to feed truncated cone style. our marlin 44 Mag only ever shot white box 240Gr and never hiccuped with that, and always put the bullets where the front sight was.
biggfoot44
Levergunner

Post by biggfoot44 »

Do you * need * a FCD ? Probably not .

Are there occasional combinations of casing , bullet , and chamber where they are useful ? Yes .

Is there a downside to using one where not absolutely necessary ? Usually not . If you are inclined to seat and crimp in seperate steps , adding an additional crimp die will eliminate constant screwing in & out of combo seat & crimp die .

If you buy a combo set of dies that also includes a FCD , it is minimal upcharge over the standard Lee die set .

************************\**

As to bullet design , each design , in each chamberings , and even individual guns can vary .

But the odds overwhelmingly favor a RN/FP ( of "normal " porportions , the WFN that start to resemble a full wadcutter can have their own issues ) .

In my own limited sample , SWC would require careful manipulation of the lever , with the occasional jiggling .