How Southern Are You?"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: How Southern Are You?"

Post by AmBraCol »

hfcable wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:01 pm 7, even though i am from the smokey mountains....then again my ancestors fought for the union.

[guess i dont quite completely fit in anywhere.]
My paternal grandmother was from the Green Mountain region of Vermont. My maternal granfather was from the same area the James boys were raised in. I believe my paternal granfather's father was also from Missouri, but am not sure. My maternal grandmother's family hailed from Michigan. I've often contemplated Louis L'Amour's intertwining of families over the centuries in his tales. It also gives me something to wonder about as to whether my ancestors looked at each other from opposing sides of the late unpleasantness. Not likely as I don't think the Vermonters got that far west, but on the other hand there were the folks from Michigan and I can't remember where they got around to during that time period. When pushed, my dad would tell folks "I was born in the South," (south part of South Dakota) "and raised west of the Mississippi." I was born in Missouri, raised in the Amazon Basin, can forget things in three languages at once and can not fit in anywhere, if I so choose. On the other hand, I've been taken in as family on two different continents by folks who are related to me on Adam's side by way of Noah. And can fit in, if I so choose.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Walker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:19 am How'd they make them? Just curious as Grandma was a farmer's wife and would mash them first, then make them into patties and fry them. She grew up in the Ozarks, no telling where they picked up the habit. What's a tea cake?
I've also never heard of tea cakes. Sound more English than southern,
Potato patties is what you do with leftover mashed potatoes. Never heard of anyone making them to start with.
Fried green tomatoes is what you do with the last tomatoes in the garden before frost. Never had them any other time.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One German Immigrant ancestor fought for the North to get citizenship. He fought under Captain Myles Keough. Knew a horse named Comanche.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm feeling very inadequate, but I am a transplant...
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Burgoo back in the day was what ever could be scrounged up was thrown into a pot and turned into a stew of sorts. Wild game mostly. They have a Burgoo festival here in Kentucky every fall. The use domestic critters at the festival now and never have had it my self. I only made 14 only because I never could get past haw some of the things listed either looked or smelled. I do love butter beans and chicken and dumplins.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

hondo1892 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:08 pm Burgoo back in the day was what ever could be scrounged up was thrown into a pot and turned into a stew of sorts. Wild game mostly. They have a Burgoo festival here in Kentucky every fall. The use domestic critters at the festival now and never have had it my self. I only made 14 only because I never could get past haw some of the things listed either looked or smelled. I do love butter beans and chicken and dumplins.
when i killed a cotton tail , my grand mother made rabbit and dumplings.... it seemed divine !
cable
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Not gonna eat any guts that come out of any animal, gizzards, hearts , livers etc. God invented coyotes for that..

Cornbread: Yummm. Food for Real Men. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Tea cakes are what every one of the folks with African American heritage I have ever known here in the South calls sugar cookies.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Popeyes chicken is a Southern chain. They have beans and rice for a side dish.
D. Brian Casady
olskool
Levergunner

Post by olskool »

born and raised in SC, been here 63+ years and i will die here. i have ate all that and a lot more than is on that menu. when i talk a teleprompter is needed if your not from the south so you can understand me,,,,,,,,,,,,
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

O'er Char, they have a cherry flavored fizzy drink. CheerWine.
Rat Cheer, we have Dr Pepper.

O'er Char is Southern for over there. Rat Cheer is Southern for right here. Ghosts who haunt a specific place are Haints.

Southern English is almost a separate language.
D. Brian Casady
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

piller wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:14 am Southern English is almost a separate language.
But sweet music to my ears.

Unfortunately, transplants like myself (I was called a "darn Yankee" when I moved here 25 years ago because I said I would NEVER move back north; I was finally "home", spiritually at least :D ) have ruined the southern drawl. I can go weeks without hearing it in all my interactions. :(
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Redneck Joke

What R M?

M R ducks.

M R not.

OSMR. CM wangs?

L I B. MR ducks!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is just Southern English. Simple enough.

Several years ago, there was a Texas band called Cooder Graw. They got the name from learning about swordfighting.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well spent five days in NC two weeks ago and didn’t have anything on the list . In a few weeks I’m headed to northeast PA for the Northeast SxS Classic for four days . Well as I remmember when I used to live up in that area “scrapple” was a main stay on a breakfast menu in PA and definitely not on my A list .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Eddie Southgate
Levergunner

Post by Eddie Southgate »

34 of those are just my normal diet . I don't like boiled peanuts or grits and am not fond of gizzards but have eaten them but much prefer any kind of liver to them . I have eat a lot of so called southern foods that are not on the list which should be no surprise being as I was raised by a Kentucky share croppers daughter and have lived in either Tennessee or Alabama all of my life . I eat squirrel , rabbit , coon, whistle pig ( ground hog) turtle, mud bugs , frog legs , gator , deer , and a few possums that were caught and fed for a few weeks before being killed and baked with carrots ,taters and onions . They are too greasy to suit me so are not on the regular menu . For the record Chocolate Gravy is just a creamy chocolate sauce pored on pound cake or biscuits and as far as I know is not particularly a southern thing . There is no way I would ever eat an armadillo , ain't happening. Don't like turnips or the greens but I have had both but do like Poke with hot bacon grease and scrambled eggs. I eat meat drippins ( gravy to me but the wife calls it grease) on cornbread , biscuits and loaf bread . Also . corn bread is good with sorghum or grape jelly and lots of butter . I don't eat whop biscuits ,

PS: Forgot Beaver , have eat a lot of Beaver .
Last edited by Eddie Southgate on Sat May 08, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sorghum molasses has lots of uses. A dollop in a pot of beans while simmering really wakes up the flavor. It is good on biscuits or cornbread. A small dollop on a pork shoulder along with applesauce before putting in a crock pot to cook until it falls apart can make for some wonderful pulled pork sandwiches.
D. Brian Casady
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

34 for me, it's all about fending for yoursrlf.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

17 because I married a Georgia peach. 😀