I am still adding to the wood pile ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

I am still adding to the wood pile ....

Post by JimT »

The Great Texas FreezeUp left a lot of firewood around here. I hauled my woodsplitter over to the neighbors yesterday and split up a cord or so of wood for him. He had some big logs he did not want to mess with. He hauled them up to our place and I cut and split and stacked them yesterday. We may be ready for the next big FreezeUp if we can get a little more stocked in.

Actually, there is still quite a lot of down wood on the neighbors property and they already said we could have some of it.
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG
IMG_2199.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: I am still adding to the wood pile ....

Post by piller »

Glad that you can prepare. That last big freeze was a bad one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks like you have a very good head start for the next Texas ice age!

I so love my pellet stoves! In 1 day I can have enough pellets put in the basement for the burning season- we used to burn 8-10 cords a winter, I dont miss having to cut/split/stack that much wood! Except now that I've turned the wood shed into a workshop I heat it with a woodstove- full circle i guess.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I too am starting to stock up on firewood. Could use a good log splitter I'm getting too old for swinging an axe..... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:19 pm I too am starting to stock up on firewood. Could use a good log splitter I'm getting too old for swinging an axe..... :lol:
I am happy to have the log splitter. I turned 75 a couple weeks ago and I can tell you, after cutting wood all day I feel it! I would never been able to split so much in so short a time otherwise.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Looks good Jim.....all that wood must have given you a woodie. ---006
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:19 pm Looks good Jim.....all that wood must have given you a woodie. ---006
I am too tired for that! I can't even raise a fuss! :D
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

When we lived in the Sierras I loved cutting and splitting. It was stacking that I hated.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good for you Jim. I usually want to have about two cords of fire wood for back up . I have a stove in the front room that burns wood or anthracite coal and when the temps get down below 25* it's all coal here . no smoke , no creosote in the flu . We have a furnace in the basement that burns anthracite as well. All good stuff from Pennsylvania . :D .
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I had a bunch of trees dropped last year. Stuff that was too close to the house, etc.

I have about a third of it cut, split and stacked so far.

At least 3 years of wood, so I'll get some of my money back, eh? :roll:
And no gym fees for me...... :lol:

-Stretch
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

.45colt wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:19 pm Good for you Jim. I usually want to have about two cords of fire wood for back up . I have a stove in the front room that burns wood or anthracite coal and when the temps get down below 25* it's all coal here . no smoke , no creosote in the flu . We have a furnace in the basement that burns anthracite as well. All good stuff from Pennsylvania . :D .
It has been years since I heard anyone use anthracite to specify exactly which type of coal they meant. Even fewer seem to know why bituminous is less useful. Softer, smokier, and less heat per the same size and weight. My Grandma used coal to heat with until about 1975. I remember seeing her or other adults adding coal to the fire. It was anthracite. She may have had only an 8th grade education, and she was old enough to have read about the Wright brothers first flight in the newspaper within a month of it happening, but she knew a lot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

She may have had only an 8th grade education,
if she had the same 8th grade education my Grandma had, via Mcguffey's Readers, she was better educated by 8th grade than today's college "graduates" . . . my GM was teaching school with an 8th grade education. She earned college degrees while teaching school, instead of the other way 'round. Cheers to the Grandmas who helped steer us