Knock me over with a feather -- good guys win!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Knock me over with a feather -- good guys win!

Post by Pisgah »

My best friend and 40+ year hunting buddy and I have often lamented our mutual lifelong lack of financial success. Not that either of us is poor, but while we chugged along others we knew rocketed to comparative great wealth. Why them and not us?, we wonder. And generally we reach the conclusion that nice guys like us just never win -- but now we may have to re-evaluate that idea.

My buddy has just retired from his career as a chiropractor and he has been telling me for years about a patient of his, a retired lady who owns 200 acres in the remote, rugged, dark southwestern corner of our county -- an area known for years as the prime-est of the prime deer territory within 2 hours' drive, but only 25 minutes from our homes. She had the rights leased to a club for several years but finally got fed up with them and didn't let them renew a couple of years ago. Now she's moved 100 miles away to live with relatives, but still comes back on weekends, and she's become concerned that no one she can trust is keeping an eye on the place.

Yesterday, she called my friend and asked if he knew anyone who could come down and do some minor repairs on the roof of her house and a barn door, and he told her he was sure he did, and we'd be there in an hour. After arriving at what was immediately recognized as Deer Paradise, we spent a pleasant couple of hours chatting and doing fix-it stuff. During all this, she showed us her like-new, big Honda 4-wheeler and, noting my motorcycle-themed T-shirt, said, "Maybe when we're done you guys would like to hop on and go explore the place together." Would we!!!!

Work completed, cold beer announced ready upon our return, we set out for 90 minutes and hit all the highlights. Gorgeous, every square inch, with deer sign thick on the ground everywhere we went.

Back at the barn, she handed us our beers and asked how we liked it. I'll admit -- we rhapsodized, not trying to influence her but just genuinely delighted to see such an amazing property. "So, you guys interested in exclusive hunting rights?" Well, sure, but -- price? "You do me a job like you did today every once in a while, keep an eye on the place when you can, and enjoy it. And sign this hold-harmless agreement so you can't sue my butt if you break your necks. If you need the 4-wheeler, it'll be here. Bring your own gas. And do either of you know how to drive a tractor? Good. It'll be here, too, if you need it. That's the deal."

For once in my life, I actually had a pen on me. Sign we did! As often as not, our team-good-deeds get punished -- but, oh my, not this one!
Last edited by Pisgah on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Knock me over with a feather -- good guys win!

Post by .45colt »

Good for You !!! forty years ago We had the same thing happen , a local Retired Gent had a heart attack and offered a trade. You guys fill My wood shed for the furnace , cut all the wood You need for yourself and hunt anything You want . His 200 acres were in the middle (2000 acres) of a huge block of woods and second growth . it was a paradise found. sadly We can drive right into the land we hunted on as it's all houses now. Enjoy while You can. :D .
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

You guys will be grateful for your blessing and she knows that you will take good care of the place. Everybody wins.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That is really cool! I'd say enjoy every second of it, but I'm sure your will. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is certainly a win for the good guys.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pisgah wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:01 pm For once in my life, I actually had a pen on me. Sign we did! As often as not, our team-good-deeds get punished -- but, oh my, not this one!
Wow, what a deal!

No pen? I would have sliced my palm with a knife and signed in BLOOD for that deal.

Of course, I would have made my buddy do the same... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy many years on the property.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Great going! I am sure will take pride in being stewards of this land. This has always been my opinion with hunting land. I have mentioned it to the DNR, that they should start an adopt a farmer program. Where you help a farmer out with maintaining their land in exchange for hunting access. Hunting on property is the Cream. All the maintenance of fixing fence, cutting firewood, etc, goes on all year long. I feel for every hour hunting one should spend one hour doing maintenance. There is a lot of aging land owners out there that need help with everyday chores.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I wish for her an exceptionally long lived life and old age.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

And a pleasant one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

world class good story. glad you found a decent patch of ground to work on, and a decent owner. super good