Reloading cast bullets with N110

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjletraveler
Levergunner

Reloading cast bullets with N110

Post by rjletraveler »

Have been looking diligently for load data for cast bullets using N110 for the .41 magnum. The only information I seem to be able to find is for jacketed bullets. I am looking to reload 215 grain poly coated bullets by gallant for my Henry big boy. Looking for a solid plinking load as well as a suggestion for a good deer hunting load. Appreciate any and all help.
Rich
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading cast bullets with N110

Post by Ray Newman »

Looked on the cast bullet website? See: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes, N110 works fine if reduced 5%. Just use all reasonable caution. The reason N110 can be reduced is that it is a stick powder. I get good accuracy out of it in .44 Magnum.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I use N110 almost exclusively for magnum pistol loads, with jacketed bullets. It almost duplicates grain for grain with 2400 (and can be loaded to much higher velocities), but has very little of its flash, blast, and residue.

N110 Plinking loads, with lead bullets... I would be careful going less than 10% below listed starting loads.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
rjletraveler
Levergunner

Post by rjletraveler »

Thanks for all the info. Have done a few things since my last post. Spent several hours reading through the castboolits site. Great info and gave me a lot more information... probably too much. Will need to focus on one thing at a time so I can make sure what I do is measurable / repeatable etc. I measured my gallant cast bullets. Measured maybe 2 dozen and every one came back dead on .410.
- Next I checked my bore measurements. Groove to groove (widest point) it is .410 and ridge to ridge (narrowest point) is .400
- apologies for the hunting load question. I left out the bullet I am looking at loading. It is a 250gr wfn gaschecked from cast performance bullet company. Will spend more time on the castboolit site to get more load ideas.
- loaded up a few of the 215gr gallant bullets starting at 5% low. Starting load for the jacked 210 grain was 18.5 N110. My test load was 17.5. I may need to get a chronograph but they seemed way hot! Way more kick to them than my hp38 loads. Will back off 10% and try a few at 16.6 and see how that goes.
- After watching several short videos on waxing my bullets I think that would be a good plan too. Pain in the butt step but seems totally worth it. Any suggestions on a good precast bullet that comes waxed or gas checked?
- The solid copper "Buck Rogers / Flash Gordon" bullets look awesome. May need to look into those at some point. Buck Rogers! Hahahaha. totally showing your age. loved that show as a kid.

As always, thank you all for the information!