Finally Got To The Range With The 480 Achilles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Finally Got To The Range With The 480 Achilles

Post by JimT »

Been busy and the weather has not co-operated for doing much shooting... but today I was caught up and grabbed the time to head out and shoot the 480 Achilles. Sky is overcast ... winds are gusty at 19 mph ... but it's better to be on the range than wishing you were! The gusty winds make you work harder to make the shot.

I was testing the powder coated 290 gr. Bittner bullets. I had them loaded with 12 gr. of 2400 and standard Winchester Large Pistol primers. These run right at 870 fps and this load has always been accurate in my gun. I shot all targets at 25 yards using my portable machine rest which is my sleeping bag, rolled up and on the hood my truck (that's the "machine" part).
IMG_2209.JPG
I am not sure how I managed to pull that one shot so far out, but I know I did it. I felt it when I did it.
IMG_2208.JPG
I pulled a shot out on this one also ... seems to be a habit of mine. Sometimes I pull all 5 out!
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2214.JPG
The barrel and cylinder stayed pretty clean.

They worked well ... were not smoky .. and are accurate if the nut holding the grip ain't too loose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Finally Got To The Range With The 480 Achilles

Post by Grizz »

fun stuff and good shooting. i need to do some such thing real soon. the .17 springer just doesn't satisfy the same way...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Somebody's having too much fun, and I regret to report that it isn't me ... 8)
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Here I've just signed the sweetest hunting lease of my lifetime, with a season of expense and work ahead to get it ready for opening day -- and you go and post a siren-like distraction like the Achilles. Dang it, Jim! Shooting that has to be one powerfully satisfying thing...
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That’s a pretty good load and should handle most anything a man needs to shoot.

That’s why I keep going back to that old Skeeter load in my .44 Specials:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That would certainly take a deer or wild pig. Even with the flyer, it is a decent group. Could that flyer be from the same chamber each time? I edited because I originally typed cylinder. Dumb mistake.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:07 pm That would certainly take a deer or wild pig. Even with the flyer, it is a decent group. Could that flyer be from the same chamber each time? I edited because I originally typed cylinder. Dumb mistake.
No. I knew when I pulled the one to the left. The other? I blame it on old eyes and the sun coming out at an inopportune time. :D