TONKIN GULF YACHT CLUB

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

TONKIN GULF YACHT CLUB

Post by JNG »

Am the only member of this club.
USS Kittyhawk CV-63?
72 to 75.
Tail end of this insanity.

Joe
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: TONKIN GULF YACHT CLUB

Post by jnyork »

Welcome Home, Joe :)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If I read your post, do I infer you are the LAST surviving crew member? My thanks to you and your crew mates for your service and my condolences as well.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Well I spent a little time in the same Yacht club: '66 to '68 -- USS Bon Homme Richard CVA 31. I'm pretty sure there are lots of survivors; how many are levergunners is the question I suspect Joe is asking.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I was over there too ;

USS John R Craig DD 885
USS Hoel DDG-13
rgates
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rgates »

USS Wainwright DLG-28
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

USS Somers, DDG-34, '72 & '73
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

JNG wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:30 pm Am the only member of this club.
USS Kittyhawk CV-63?
72 to 75.

Joe
My ship was on the gun line with the Kitty Hawk, several other carriers as well. The Kitty Hawk was in Hong Kong (anchored way out back) same time I was there (one of the two times).
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Canoe, Brandywine Creek, '66-'68 B.S.A.

Birdman
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Summer 1973, Yankee Station, on the Constellation (CV-64), 6 weeks total from mid-June to late July.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

God bless you all for your service.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have a cousin who’s a member. While he was listening to the sounds in the water another was on his second trip with the Marines. That was always good for some good natured ribbing.

But I would remind them both that I got to visit exotic places but was usually back home by dark.

Get the rest of us together and the rest of the family would vacate the area.

Only two left now. Sure do miss that old *** in the grass Marine.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JNG wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:30 pmAm the only member of this club.
USS Kittyhawk CV-63?
72 to 75.
Joe
At the end of '73, I had my original separation orders cancelled... and was then offered my choice of 3, one of which was a transfer to the Kitty Hawk as a newly frocked E-6. I'd actually been aboard the KH in '72 after being injured during an UnReps. I spent about 18 hours getting my back x-rayed and being evaluated. I was sick the entire time! But, I wasn't prejudiced... I threw up on brown as well as black shoes! Our chief corpsman had accompanied me over from the destroyer and finagled my escape back to a real Navy ship... not a floating aircraft hanger!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

1965 USS CORAL SEA CVA-43
1966 USS INTREPID CVS-11
1967 USS CONSTELLATION CVA-64
1974 USS ENTERPRISE CVAN-65
1976 USS AMERICA CV-66

DALE AT1
Roughcreek
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Gentlemen I salute you!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

At the time I left the grey floaty thing in the Tonkin Gulf to do my shore duty over on the beach at Danang I was ET-2 (electronics technician 2nd class (E5)). Fixed radars.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

See you don't need to lonesome. A big thank you to all you gentleman who served an ungrateful ( at the time) nation.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ray wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:28 am Had to look-up that AT.....We had some "A"s on-board with the SH-2 wing but I never had any interaction even though I was port-side a.f.f.f nozzleman on the crash team.....
Ray, are you getting all of the junk emails from lawyers wanting to sue 3M because now the foam causes cancer?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Pre-dates its eventual membership in the Tonkin Gulf Club but, when we (my Air Force-officer father) were stationed in southern Japan in 61-64, he finagled with the Admiral a personal Commander-guided tour for our family of the carrier USS Kearsarge (CVS-33) in Sasebo--a two hour drive from our base. Thrill of a lifetime for this nine-year-old. As a major bonus, on deck sitting on a basic angle iron rack was the Gordon Cooper Mercury Faith 7 spacecraft the Kearsarge had just plucked from the Pacific near Midway a couple weeks earlier (in May 1963). Actually got to run our hands over that including the scorched heat shield (something I'm sure they would frown upon now at the Smithsonian!)... and majorly upped my cred at 'show and tell' day at school! Scarcely a year later, the Kearsarge, which had a year or two earlier done Southeast Asia duty monitoring the volatile Laotian and other early Vietnam developments, went on to (its sailors) become a member of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Ha! AT3, but the closest I got was Albany, Ga. Though some of my UHF radios made the trip in speedy RA5C Vigilantes. Unarmed and Unafraid! Our pilots had big brass ones to overfly strike areas for BDA reports after the hornet's nest had been whacked.

Welcome home all who went.

Post by TraderVic »

gak wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:49 am Pre-dates its eventual membership in the Tonkin Gulf Club but, when we (my Air Force-officer father) were stationed in southern Japan in 61-64, he finagled with the Admiral a personal Commander-guided tour for our family of the carrier USS Kearsarge (CVS-33) in Sasebo--a two hour drive from our base. Thrill of a lifetime for this nine-year-old. As a major bonus, on deck sitting on a basic angle iron rack was the Gordon Cooper Mercury Faith 7 spacecraft the Kearsarge had just plucked from the Pacific near Midway a couple weeks earlier (in May 1963). Actually got to run our hands over that including the scorched heat shield (something I'm sure they would frown upon now at the Smithsonian!)... and majorly upped my cred at 'show and tell' day at school! Scarcely a year later, the Kearsarge, which had a year or two earlier done Southeast Asia duty monitoring the volatile Laotian and other early Vietnam developments, went on to (its sailors) become a member of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.
Sasabo, haven't heard that name in a long time. My destroyer left "the gun line" to spend six weeks in dry dock for repairs in Sasebo. During that time the ship's Rec Officer set up a tour to Nagasaki, which I did go on, about a two hour drive from Sasebo.
Nagasaki Area is a rough landscape (mountainous) and very beautiful. I stood at ground zero, which is now a memorial park.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TraderVic wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 am
gak wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:49 amPre-dates its eventual membership in the Tonkin Gulf Club but, when we (my Air Force-officer father) were stationed in southern Japan in 61-64, he finagled with the Admiral a personal Commander-guided tour for our family of the carrier USS Kearsarge (CVS-33) in Sasebo--a two hour drive from our base. Thrill of a lifetime for this nine-year-old. As a major bonus, on deck sitting on a basic angle iron rack was the Gordon Cooper Mercury Faith 7 spacecraft the Kearsarge had just plucked from the Pacific near Midway a couple weeks earlier (in May 1963). Actually got to run our hands over that including the scorched heat shield (something I'm sure they would frown upon now at the Smithsonian!)... and majorly upped my cred at 'show and tell' day at school! Scarcely a year later, the Kearsarge, which had a year or two earlier done Southeast Asia duty monitoring the volatile Laotian and other early Vietnam developments, went on to (its sailors) become a member of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.
Sasabo, haven't heard that name in a long time. My destroyer left "the gun line" to spend six weeks in dry dock for repairs in Sasebo. During that time the ship's Rec Officer set up a tour to Nagasaki, which I did go on, about a two hour drive from Sasebo.
Nagasaki Area is a rough landscape (mountainous) and very beautiful. I stood at ground zero, which is now a memorial park.
Our destroyer also went up to Sasebo for a refit during our WestPac. While several guys took the Nagasaki tour and a couple of guys went up to Tokyo, several of us took a tour to the west coast and an ancient castle. {dang-nas-en-fras-et stupid pictures are around here somewhere....} One of the stops we made was a restaurant where the customer does the cooking, grilling over a charcoal grill. Looked it up and it's called Yakiniku style dining. Both vegetables and meats... I don't recall any of us getting sick after eating our own cooking, but then... we were well self-inoculated with various forms of alcohol by then! The bus driving was pretty impressive, as a couple of those villages were so tight that two rickshaws would be hard pressed to pass each other!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

The Japanese tour buses were constructed for Japanese size people, not larger Americans. Thankfully, there wasn't a full bus as most of us required two seats each.
BTW Griff, which destroyer were you on ?
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

earlmck wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:33 pm Well I spent a little time in the same Yacht club: '66 to '68 -- USS Bon Homme Richard CVA 31. I'm pretty sure there are lots of survivors; how many are levergunners is the question I suspect Joe is asking.
my first cousin, Charlie Clayton, was a 'fireman' on USS Bon Homme Richard, during the mid to late 60s. he told me about riding out a typhoon, and wondering if the ship would make it.
cable
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yes I remember that typhoon, cable. Would have been on our '67-'68 deployment. They locked the ship down with nobody allowed out on any exposed deck. My primary job was taking care of one of the big radars sitting on top of the "island", so from my work space I got a wonderful birds-eye view from the top of the island of the ship plowing through those huge waves. Some of those waves would break clear up onto the flight deck with water boiling nearly back to the island (even on an old WWII era carrier that is a long, long way and really impressed this old desert rat). I never worried about the Bon Homme surviving the typhoon but I'll bet our accompanying tin cans had some tense sailers.

Tell Charlie that Earl says "hey -- it's all good if we survived it!"
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TraderVic wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:43 pmThe Japanese tour buses were constructed for Japanese size people, not larger Americans. Thankfully, there wasn't a full bus as most of us required two seats each.
Yep, sitting sideways was required. I think, on our tour there was only 8 or 9 of us. The USS Somers, DDG-34.
Aka:
PICT0032.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Griff wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:57 pm
TraderVic wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:43 pmThe Japanese tour buses were constructed for Japanese size people, not larger Americans. Thankfully, there wasn't a full bus as most of us required two seats each.
Yep, sitting sideways was required. I think, on our tour there was only 8 or 9 of us. The USS Somers, DDG-34.
Aka:
PICT0032.JPG
First tour : USS John R Craig DD-885
Second tour : USS Hoel DDG-13
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Biggest trouble of being stationed on a carrier was that when you hit the beach you had a couple thousand other fellows all with exactly the same ideas. My trip to Nagasaki from Sasebo would have been a pretty full-up bus; I have no recollection of any sitting problems but I was a lot more flexible back in those days. My memory banks flash up a picture of the cute young lady tour guide who spoke a most entrancing version of English. I remember thinking I'd always pronounced "Nagasaki" wrong -- the way it came out of our lady tour guide's mouth it sounded more like "Nagasak--City".
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry