The casting shed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

The casting shed

Post by fordwannabe »

Hello all. I enjoy casting bullets. I put all kinds of stuff in my shed. If you cast or used to cast or thought about casting please join in.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The casting shed

Post by .45colt »

Last year before the covid We put money down on an Amish built 16X16' shed that I intended to be My "Sporting Room" . somehow over the summer I dug out and leveled the area and shoveled and hauled 6 ton's of gravel 300' to the backyard for the base. The crew showed up on time and I have My small building.
I have been in the process lately of moving in. I have nearly 500lb of sheet lead from a relative who worked construction in Cleveland.
A few weeks ago I put an ad here on Leverguns for two round ball molds one .457 and another .490 for My old Army and My TC Renegade. never had to cast Rb's before as they were everywhere...........within a day our Member "Shasta" responds He has a .457 mold. send Me Your address. :? .
So I do and three days later a package comes in the mail from California .
Inside With the RCBS mold is this:
" Hello Jim,
Enclosed is the RCBS .457 round ball mold I offered you on the Leverguns forum. I wanted you to have it because the forum members were very kind to Me, sending Me $1,000 in donations after I lost My home and all My reloading equipment in the 2018 Carr Fire, which destroyed thousands of acres and over a thousand homes here in Shasta County. I wanted to pay that kindness forward.
I kept My bullet molds inside GI ammo cans, but the fire was so hot most of the molds were warped beyond use. This mold did warp, but it is so slight that I'm sure it will still throw good round balls. The wood burned off the handles, but I was able to replace it with some Oak dowel .I hope it serves You Well. Regards , Tim."

Of course I'm blown away the mold is very usable and the one thing that Is Crazy for Me is that at the time I was still working full time and I never contributed to the fund... :oops: :oops: :oops: . I immediately put a check in the mail right back to Tim for $50.00.....later that week He responded He got it He didn't expect anything for it and donated the money to the NRA. So I now have a piece of History from the Carr Fire. I hope to put it to use soon. Thank You.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Let us know how well it works.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's a pretty cool story and piece of history!

I inherited some of my grandfather's moulds and equipment years ago and have been adding to it ever since with plans of casting my own someday. I've been experimenting off and on for the last couple of years and not with components unavailable or over priced I'm going to get more serious about it. I have a pretty good stash of lead and linotype that our old friend John Kort sent me a few years ago.
making time will be the key.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I don't have a casting "shed".
I have a 30' X 55' shop building and I built a 15' X 15' reloading room in the corner.
But for casting, I set up on a low metal table out in the broad expanse of the shop, hoping any bad fumes will dissipate. I lucked out when I bought that table. It is the perfect height. I'd post a picture but my clutter is embarrassing 😳
Long overdue on some casting time. Been working waaay too much since the Rona plandemic hit.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have been casting bullets for the last 65 years or so. Daddy started me young, casting round balls. Even during the years we lived in Africa I cast lead. I had a .375" round ball mold and I cast balls for the slingshots. The kids there thought they were weapons of mass destruction. I taught one of the Missionary kids to cast round balls for her Wrist Rocket. She got quite deadly with it.

My casting pot is part of my reloading area and gets used regularly.
IMG_0320.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WASATCH CHARLIE
Levergunner

Post by WASATCH CHARLIE »

I cast for my .50 cal.B.P. RIFLES, .357 and 45 revolvers.......I have been casting for over 40 years.......I also shoot cast lead in a .30-06 and a 6.5x58mm Portugeuse mauser (Model1904).
without being able to cast, the cost of factory rounds or even cheap cup and core projectiles from local CABELAS would just put this old guy out of the sport. as I don't have a casting shed,its cast on sunny days on VANCOUVER Island.
Was I really going that fast????? Geez, officer,did not think this old Ford would even do 90 !!!!!!
I'm canadian Eh !!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have a "casting basement". A very powerful fan with a crossdraw vent leaves zero smoke and fumes. In addition to the RCBS furnace and a couple of old 20 lb Lyman's I keep a propane stove that holds a 30 pound pot.....I never run out of hot lead and cast with 2 moulds at the same time---6

Linotype and tin.....the rest of my stash of lead is elsewhere.

If there's a gun out there in most any caliber I can make it go "bang."

Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used to cast for a plethora of calibers pretty much all from 22-45 for rifles and 32-50 for handguns . Then it got trimmed down to mostly 44and 45 rifle 38,10mm and 45 pistol as well as shotgun stuff . Here for the past year only thing I’ve cast have been .775” roundballs and 000000 buck both for my 8 gauge cannons . I think I have 4-5 thousand bullets cast sized and lubed in plastic jars all for 44 or 444 . They may hit the market at some point as I’m about over the 44/444 affliction . May try and get all that stuff sold off except for the molds used for the shotguns be it slugs , punkin balls or buckshot .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I cast in my wood shop, although I don't shoot a lot of cast I do have mounds for 25/20, 38,45, 44 and 375-oh almost forgot 41. Just recently read an article on the 22 hornet& making mouse phart quiet loads, now I would like a 40-45 gr .22 mould just to play!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I cast the vast majority of what I shoot, all handgun bullets and 95% of rifle bullets. Only my 22 Imp, Swedish Mauser, and 270 get jacketed. I have a bunch of surplus '06 for the Garand but have only shot cast in it for several years. We have an attached single car garage where I do my casting. That way it doesn't take up space in my detached shop. Most of the lead stash is up there too aside from 5 gallon buckets of loose linotype that are in the basement. I have 2 20lb electric dip pots, one is always wheelwieghts and the other is for other alloys. A 10lb electric dip pot is for pure lead only.
I would say 80-90 molds live here and I've culled out those that were problematic in some way.
Currently cast for:
.228 (savage Imp)
6.5mm
.30 pistol (tokarev)
.30 rifle
.32 pistol
.32 rifle
.35 pistol/rifle
.40 (38-40)
11mm rifle
.45 pistol
.45 rifle
.51 (50-70)
And a bunch of round ball diameters for muzzleloaders or cat sneeze loads.

I like reloading and casting as much as shooting at this point. Sometimes it almost feels like I need to go empty brass so I can have something to load.

Eric
Last edited by yooper2 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I started casting years ago, when the availability of .510 bullets made it a must. Now I realize how much I save, even though I cast almost all gas checked bullets. If I cast 500 bullets, I can save $200. It’s fun and satisfying. So I’m actually making money by casting. Now I have many molds, so I’ll always have a steady supply of bullets.
I built a 24x12 room in the back of my shop, as a fully insulated, heated, cooled reloading room. When I cast, I set up a table under the outdoor lean to attached to the shop, with a box fan on low, on the table to exhaust any fumes out and away. By having the fan pull air away, not blowing across the hotpot, it doesn’t cool it off. I’ve cast in the rain, snow, or bright sun, all under a large covered area.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I started casting buckshot about 12 years ago. I use a Lee 20lb furnace and set up under an open pole barn. As of today, I cast the following:

#4 Buck
0 Buck
00 Buck
12 ga Slug
9mm
.38/.357
10mm
I started powder coating my cast bullets a couple of years ago. Powder coating is easy and a lot of fun.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Guys, how much if any does the powder coat add to the diameter of a bullet before resizing? Ive been wondering about this info.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I also don't have a specific casting shed. Instead I cast out in one of my shop buildings using a small fan I set up in a window above the bench to suck the fumes outside. I never have cast in a closed building, and wouldn't do so. It's easy to build a frame to hold an old circulating fan that can be set inside a window frame to blow the exhaust outside.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

octagon, the powder coating will add roughly .001" to .003". I run all my cast bullets through a sizer die after powder coating.

If you haven't been there already, check out the Coatings & Alternatives forum at Cast Boolits. Tons of info there.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumd ... ternatives
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Started casting around 17 years old and really got going about 21. Mainly 429421"s as me and two other friends had Super Blackhawks to feed. Joined the Cast Boolits site and things took off from there. Add in the stuff I learned from Accurateshooters forum on competition shooting/reloading and get some pretty good groups with cast boolits.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I only used to cast round ball for my muzzle loaders, usually over a campfire whilst pretending it was 1850. My first attempt at casting was as a very young kid with a 9mm Flobert garden gun, fed up with puny shot shells I cast some bullets and nearly shot the post that held my mom's washing line in two... :shock:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hello......?
The door was open, so I came in. I saw the "casting shed" and thought you were hiring actors. :D
My mistake.

We have casted for probably 25 years, but not to the level of many of you.
There isn't room in my gun room, so we do all the casting at my dad's. We keep our lead out behind the garage. We do our melting, cleaning, and mixing in the garage.
We cast down in my dad's gun room as it's bigger than mine.
We used to do quite a bit. All our handguns, and many rifle calibers, the most modern being 30-30. We haven't done as much in recent years. I have switched to a lot of plated bullets for handgun. Mostly to save my lead supply. I'd like to start doing some more though.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Home made hood. A little more than 600 cfm on high. Only use high when fluxing or roasting coffee.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Rock steady thanks for that info, I appreciate it.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I started casting over 50 years ago. Had a Remington-Rand .45 to feed with my Lee Wacker. I cast for most everything I shoot in rifles and all my handguns. With over a hundred moulds I can feed most anything comes along. I love it. Really appreciate the independence it gives me. Especially under today's shortages. I cast in my basement shop these days. I haven't smelted any lead in year but I'll do that outside only.

I tried the powder coating. With my moulds it was adding 2 to 3 thousandths a side making the bullets too large to use without resizing. For me the whole point of painting 'em was to not size. So I don't anymore and just went back to normal sizing.

Shot cast bullets today in my 03A3. :)

Cat
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

The first "bullet mold" I ever used was made from two pieces of Brazilian hardwood clamped together in my uncle's bench vice. We (my cousin and I) drilled dead center between the two halves with a 1/2" spade bit then enlarged the point out to form a nice cone at the tip. We melted down old car batteries (this was back before they started putting all the nasty stuff in them) for lead and poured a couple of slugs. The lead scorched the wood but worked OK. We loaded those in a home made canon built from a piece of 1/2" galvanized iron pipe strapped to a 2X2 of Brazilian hardwood. That "rifling" straight down the side of the barrel did nothing to stabilize the projectile, nor did it yield to the pressure of the FFFg powder we'd managed to obtain for propellant. We even tried making up an explosive charge by drilling one of the slugs out, cutting it around like a pineapply grenade with a hacksaw, filling the hollow with firecracker powder with a cut off nail seated in the hollow and a Berdan primer carefully crimped into the nose to set it off. Remember that "rifling"? Yeah, it didn't keep the slug the nose on so no resulting explosive reward. We had a blast as kids, but all survived with eyes intact, fingers attached and mostly unharmed. Pay no attention to that ringing sound. Rumor has it our guardian angels worked overtime and retired early.

Since then I've learned a lot more about the craft and have had much better results with proper equipment and the mentoring of some pretty smart folk who actually know what they're doing. One thing I really miss here in Coffee Country is the whole casting/reloading part of the sport. Need to give JimT's idea of rubber power another look.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Started casting at 15 for a T/C Hawken in .45 caliber in my parents garage. Since then I've moved on to many other calibers in round ball and several modern calibers. When my wife and I moved to Kentucky I built a shop with a covered porch and do all my casting on it now. .45 do you still need a .490 mold? I may have an extra, I know I have a .495 that you could have.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I also powder coat most of my cast bullets. I use an RCBS pro and an old Lee 20 pound for pure lead. I have 28 molds at the moment with several of them being convertible soo I can get several different bullets depending on which pin I use, from the same mold. What do you guys use for sizing? I have a collection of sizing bushings made by NOE that work well for me, but again I am mostly sizing powder coated bullets.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am wanting to start casting. I think that starting with powder coated bullets for my model 94 in 32 WS and my Marlin .30-30 would be good. I might be sending some PMs for advice once I get going.
It just seems to me that those two calibers would be good to start with. I have an airsoft gun. The pellets from that seem to build up a little static charge when shaken. In a plastic container they might be right for causing the powder to stick to the lead.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i have some molds that are 'essentials', but have not cast lead yet. glad to see the info from you experienced guys. i'll tag along after y'all, someday.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Piller good eye. Many use air soft bb’s in the powder to statically cling the powder to the bullets. Smoke over on castboolits offers them in addition to powder. The key to the plastic mixing container is to ensure it has a 5 cast inside the little recycling logo in the plastic.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jeff Cooper said, "double action semi automatics are a solution to a non existent problem."

I feel the same way with powder coating...it makes up for sloppy casting/knowledge.---------006
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey Jack, you are entitled to your opinion...EVEN IF YOU’RE WRONG. Just hackin on ya. It isn’t for everyone and I shoot some calibers without powder coating. It has the advantage of not needing to lube the bullets and if the mold is a little small I can make up a couple thousands for good rifling engagement. My take on casting is more like a “what works for YOU” attitude. I am helping a guy locally that has a little experience casting. I will say “I do it this way.” He will have to have “his way” soon. I emphasize rthymn and timing then he takes a phone call and everything cools off. He will learn. We all try new things and have our system which is still evolving. He asked me yesterday about a mold with tons of smoke on it, whats up with that? I replied... I had to learn too!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Never mind hackin on ol Sixgun- wheres my roundballs?! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I assume they are swamped in your long Johns. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok, who has a .411/.412 sizer they don't use? I traded our Catshooter for a .41 mould. It throws big bullets, work ok in my Blackhawk but very hard to chamber in my Henry.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gotta look.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Man I looked - no dice on the .41 sizer. Sorry. What size bullet does the mould throw?

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd have to measure them again, but I think they were .413-.414. Just fine in a cylinder. Of course .411-.412 is NOT a normal drill size so I can make myself a 'sizer' . I contacted the die maker- no oversize parts.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

What sizer do you use? I do not have a 41 caliber, sorry.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:52 pm Jeff Cooper said, "double action semi automatics are a solution to a non existent problem."

I feel the same way with powder coating...it makes up for sloppy casting/knowledge.---------006
I realize many folks like powder coated cast same as many folks like poly coated jacketed bullets . And lots of folks saw a fall off in accuracy from poly coated coated after several hundred shots even if they scrubbed the bejesus out of the barrel . I kinda work on the premis if I don’t put it in the barrel I don’t need to worry about removing it later .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Tom i believes i have a Lyman... its orange :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup Lyman 450
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Try over on castboolits swapping and selling.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Amazon has lee sizer, as sold by Midway.
If I could find a used one I'd be happy.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

K.I.S.S......"Keep it simple stupid" .....we old heads didn't get old by being stupid. See what 6 point says?

Lead and lube, sized and alloyed properly will shoot as good as any bullet ever made....it's just a bit difficult getting them much past 2,000, but even then you can...if you know what your doing.....

Powder coated bullets=curb feelers for Cadillacs.-----0000000006
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Say Bro! Doesn't you know man that curb feelers is cool! :lol:
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Had a neighbor years ago, never knew his first name but he was known as Ducky. Every time he got a new ride it would get curb feelers, lowered, new wheels and then he would drill holes in the body and mount plastic ducks to the fenders, hood & roof. Yes he was a strange duck!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds a little strange. Strange does not mean felonious, just not like everyone else.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I was in my loading room getting some stuff for a sporting clays deal on Saturday and took a picture of one of my cabinets with jars of home cast 44 cal bullets . The containers are two deep :shock:
473004D1-CCB6-4574-840A-93876D30FC2C.jpeg
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:06 pm I was in my loading room getting some stuff for a sporting clays deal on Saturday and took a picture of one of my cabinets with jars of home cast 44 cal bullets . The containers are two deep :shock: 473004D1-CCB6-4574-840A-93876D30FC2C.jpeg
The best part about casting is, you can always melt them down and do 'em again. :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, these were full power 375 H&H loads.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those are some very good groups.
D. Brian Casady