Final Destinations

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Final Destinations

Post by guntar »

Like a lot of people in my age group (mid-60's), my wife and I have now lost all four of our parents. In each case, we were named as executors of their estates. In all cases it was a lot of work and a very stressful process because most of the decisions were left up to us, rather than having a written plan we could follow. Specifically, I was wondering what forum members have done to insure that their firearms go where they want them to go when they pass on. I always figured that i would just give them away, but we don't always have any warning when we will go. Any suggestions you might have on good ways to handle this would be appreciated. Any lessons from experience would be especially helpful.
For incentive, just imagine your least-favorite relative ending up with your most-treasured firearm.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Final Destinations

Post by OldWin »

I have three sons. They are all into guns with varying degree and interests.
I told them to each make a list of what they want by priority. Not taking into account the other two boys.
BEFORE I'm dead. Then I will make the best choices I can. I don't care if they swap amongst themselves, I just don't want stuff sold cause it isn't what they want.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Best advice is find out who wants what by friends & family and have it in writing and have that copied, 1 for the bloodsucker- er I mean lawyer and the people on that list have a copy so no fighting after you are gone.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Guys, don't fret - I'm here with the answer. I'll post my FFL's information here, and you can just send them all to me... :mrgreen:

Seriously, I think those with 'gun enthusiasts' only have the issue of who-gets-what, and need to write that down and be sure there are copies (update simultaneously if you need) in each person's hands, instead of just ONE copy people will argue about, lose, or claim isn't the most recent. Those without enthusiasts in the family need to either find someone knowledgeable and trustable to sell them on behalf of the family (an FFL or auctioneer or hobbyist, probably in that order of preference), or find a family member who will do the same.

The sad thing is that unless we RESTORE election integrity AND throw out the Democrats AND force the RINOs who replace them to REPEAL COMPLETELY all the asinine 'gun laws' that are being passed, there won't be much to pass along. Some people think their leverguns and pump shotguns and bolt action rifles are 'safe', but not if you read the fine print of the laws, and not if you look at the way the camels-nose-under-the-tent thing has worked in the other nations.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:00 pm Guys, don't fret - I'm here with the answer. I'll post my FFL's information here, and you can just send them all to me... :mrgreen:
Welp thats best reply for the month. :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

When my grandfather went he had promised the same guns to multiple people so the four of us drew lots and went round robin. After we did a bit of swapping but everyone ended up happy.

Eric
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:06 pm Best advice is find out who wants what by friends & family and have it in writing and have that copied, 1 for the bloodsucker- er I mean lawyer and the people on that list have a copy so no fighting after you are gone.
I asked my attorney about that. He told me to write a letter w/ a witness and put it with my will, but not to include it as part of the will as the recipient would be taxed for additional income. This is in Ohio, I don't know what the other states are like. Most of it will be sold off except for some family stuff and a couple rarities. Neither one of my stepsons are into collecting. They both have a couple target/ defensive guns but that's about it. It may change someday and they can pick what they want. After my health scare a few years ago, I've asked a good friend who does know guns to sell off what's necessary and give the $ to my wife. The deal is: for his time, he gets to pick one out of the collection and expenses to come from the rest of the sales.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

After Jeff Quinn saw how Terry Murbach's estate was handled, he decided to go the same route and let his wife know that Bobby Tyler of Tyler Gun Works would handle his firearms when Jeff passed. Finding an honorable and trustworthy individual to take care of such a task isn't always easy, but I've been impressed with how Bobby Tyler handled both estates. It is my understanding that certain firearms were handled differently, but the ones with little/no sentimental value went on the block.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have specific plans for my guns, which include letting each of my adult children pick a couple of firearms, and the draw will be done randomly by pulling a number. Then if any want more than the two choices, they can buy them at discounted values from my wife. Whatever is left will go to Wards auction here, so the heirs aren't saddled with that chore, and there's no fighting or questioning how they were dispersed.
I have no plans for all the ammo, and reloading equipment, but I should, as it's enough to have huge value. Also my collection of old antique ammo boxes, and antique reloading tools that I need to address somehow.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's all going to my daughter. I strongly advised her to get expert help on their values, but, they will be hers and not much I can do when they are. :lol: She doesn't care for long guns, but shoots handguns as good as I do (which isn't too bad at all)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Has anyone heard of a gun trust? Someone once recommended having a separate trust for my guns so they wouldn't be listed as a part of the estate. I need to get moving on that.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Walker wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:21 pm Has anyone heard of a gun trust? Someone once recommended having a separate trust for my guns so they wouldn't be listed as a part of the estate. I need to get moving on that.
I've heard of them in conjunction with NFA type items, never heard of them in conjunction with "regular" firearms. Now my curiosity is piqued.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

As I've nearly always sold one buy one, so my miniscule collection is not so much of a problem, my son can keep what he wants or sell them all.
When I'm dead I'll have other things to worry about like hot or cold climate . . . :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

Thanks for the advice. I have put together a book which has all my firearms listed, and indicates who is to get what, in the event that something untimely happens to me. With any luck I will give all but a couple away. It was a good thing that I did. On the way home from our grandson's baseball game, a pickup truck ran a stop side and t-boned us right in the driver's side door. They had to cut me out the wreckage, the truck was totaled, and I got an ambulance ride to the hospital. Fortunately, due entirely to God's grace and protection, neither my wife nor I sustained serious injuries. It just served as a dramatic reminder that none of us is promised tomorrow.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m in the process of drastically reducing my accumulation . Might take several years but it’s my intention to sell all but about 50-60 of them . Then those take to a friends house along with a safe or two and let him keep them for me as it’s my intention to move to the Philippines. A bunch of what belonged to my maternal grandfather I think I’ll give to my only male first cousin on my mother’s side of the family . I wanna keep a bunch of my Parker’s especially the 28 and pair of 8’s but they’re the most valuable ones I own so it might behoove me in a couple years to sell them before I go as well . Geeeezzzzz this must be what it feels like for an alcoholic to quit cold Turkey :?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

guntar wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:36 pm Thanks for the advice. I have put together a book which has all my firearms listed, and indicates who is to get what, in the event that something untimely happens to me. With any luck I will give all but a couple away. It was a good thing that I did. On the way home from our grandson's baseball game, a pickup truck ran a stop side and t-boned us right in the driver's side door. They had to cut me out the wreckage, the truck was totaled, and I got an ambulance ride to the hospital. Fortunately, due entirely to God's grace and protection, neither my wife nor I sustained serious injuries. It just served as a dramatic reminder that none of us is promised tomorrow.
:o This just happened? Wow! Glad you came out OK. Yep, none of us have tomorrow promised to us, not even today as far as that goes. Make the most of each moment and have things in order for when you check out.
Paul - in Pereira

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Depends on the size and quality of the collection and your own personal heath condition. If your in relatively good health with a lot of good stuff, it pays to move them a bit at a time, keeping your working guns....

If you have a mess of Mossbergs, Stevens or R......'s, there's not much to worry about.

If your old and frail get them to an auction house a dozen or so at a time. You sure don't want to unload the whole lot at one auction as you will get the same result if 10 like new 1962 Corvettes are sold at once.....People today, whether they are your kids or not, just want the money......they may keep a few but their desire to go to the islands on your dime is more important.

One thing for sure, if your known to have guns, the vultures will be circling over your house or in a case that happened to an acquaintance last year.....he died unexpectedly at 50 something and on the day he was being buried, the thieves went to work.

I unload a few here and there, mostly the safe queens for play money. My family knows what to do with the rest.

But ya never know what can happen........you and your whole family might be on a plane and it goes down. In that case a mess of strangers are going to have a good time......the same result will happen if you don't have a plan.

Either way, guns are just "stuff"... You won't know the difference.

Bottom line, if your in that "selling age", move what you can when you can...it sure is a lot easier buying them then it is selling them.----6
Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:47 pm
Either way, guns are just "stuff"... You won't know the difference.

That was made infinitely clear to me after my mom died . A few months before she passed she suggested that I should liquidate some as I had several saves full couple cabinets full , stacked on chair arms snd leaning in corners . A couple days after she passed I tripped over one in the middle of the night and I had an epiphany . That week I started listing and sold about 80 Marlins and a few other things . Nothing like a death that’s near to you to clear your mind and bring the realization that this or that for a collection isn’t quite as important as originally thought and to be honest family so called heirlooms aren’t quite as precious as you may have thought .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a few items which mean something to me because of family. Still, it is not anything that will mean something to my kids.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm going to take them with me... to the crematorium! :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Griff wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:51 am I'm going to take them with me... to the crematorium! :twisted: :twisted:
I prefer my coffee black.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55 am
Griff wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:51 amI'm going to take them with me... to the crematorium! twisted: :twisted:
I prefer my coffee black.
Different crematorium... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Unless you know for sure that one of your friends or heirs is a collector, here's a clue...

Nobody but you cares about your gun collection, and no one will take care of it or do what you want or expect them to do.

Do yourself and your descendants a favor and liquidate your junk while you're breathing.

It's my observation that all anyone else cares about is how many dollar signs are associated with whatever they can pinch off your corpse.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

Post by AmBraCol » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:31 pm

guntar wrote: ↑Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:36 pm
Thanks for the advice. I have put together a book which has all my firearms listed, and indicates who is to get what, in the event that something untimely happens to me. With any luck I will give all but a couple away. It was a good thing that I did. On the way home from our grandson's baseball game, a pickup truck ran a stop side and t-boned us right in the driver's side door. They had to cut me out the wreckage, the truck was totaled, and I got an ambulance ride to the hospital. Fortunately, due entirely to God's grace and protection, neither my wife nor I sustained serious injuries. It just served as a dramatic reminder that none of us is promised tomorrow.
:o This just happened? Wow! Glad you came out OK. Yep, none of us have tomorrow promised to us, not even today as far as that goes. Make the most of each moment and have things in order for when you check out.

Yes, it happened two days after I made up the book outlining the disposition of my firearms. The driver and his passenger (two hispanic males) jumped out of the truck and fled the scene. The truck was reported stolen about a half hour after the wreck. No insurance of course, and the owner did not have a driver's license. I will let conjecture as to what really happened. Truck was a total write-off. My insurance will cover it, but now I have to buy another truck. It could have been a lot worse.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Glad you're OK. That could have come out a LOT worse...
Paul - in Pereira