Mail order proof barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Mail order proof barrel

Post by Pat C »

Barrels shipped from Winchester to be installed by gunsmith s had mail order proof above the W/P proof.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Mail order proof barrel

Post by Trailboss »

Pat C wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:16 pm Barrels shipped from Winchester to be installed by gunsmith s had mail order proof above the W/P proof.
An interesting detail that I never knew about. Thanks Pat
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I don't believe they did. The WP was used on completed and tested guns. The factory did use "P" proofed barrels ready for shipping to gunsmiths to be outside fitted to complete some guns and then the WP was added.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I'm pretty sure all parts barrels were proofed on test actions I've never seen a Winchester barrel without it after 1905. Anytime you see the plain (P) its always over W/P
Winchester sold lots of parts,you could actually build complete rifles from parts as everthing was available.

The way I've understood is if WRA was shipping a barrel to a known gunsmith ,they stamped the (P) that way if it failed and came in they would know it was installed non factory.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Didn't they also do this with factory installed re-barrels?
I've seen "mail order" barrels that had non-standard rollmarks on them also.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I was reading an old post by Bert H. From the Winchester Collectors site.He stated that sometime late 30's-40's Winchester started stamping barrels in the Parts dept with both stamps .While possible a late rebarrel they may have pulled one of these for use but was not the norm.

Usually the rebarrel was pulled from new stock,barreled and tested ,then proof marked.
I believe there was a Winchester letter they had ,I tried to read it but was blurry to me.

I've not read any info in the reference books and I have most of them. But what is clear the single P in an oval was used by mail order dept.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

As a side note it was believed any rifle with this marking would considerably lower value maybe as much as 50%
To collectors.