Vintage guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Vintage guns

Post by Old Savage »

I have a few but I buy mostly new or those used in great shape. Still there are many here that go that way.

The one I wanted first took the longest. It is a 1961 Win 94 30-30. That was in the first catalog I got.

What tops the list?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Vintage guns

Post by JOG »

I'm still looking for my birth year {1963} Winchester 94 in 30-30 or 32 spl. I found a few over the year's that were used hard and put away wet! I'm in no rush, one day the gods will smile upon me!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

For me, if it's not pre WWI, or even better pre 1900, it doesn't hardly get a 2nd look. There are some exceptions, and I do own a handful of newer guns. But for the most part 90% of my guns are pre 1900.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The only one I went after on purpose was my year of birth Win 94 30wcf....a 1951. It was shooting into an inch at 50 yards with the iron sights when I got it.. :)
I have a pre-WWII era Win 72 bolt .22....That's the one my Uncle taught me to shoot with. I think he paid five bucks for it.I never shot it on paper because I knew it was balls-on. Shot lots of squills with it and never missed a one.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The absolute top of the list for me would be a mint condition 1892 Win saddlering carbine in 44WCF
Second place 1st gen Colt Frontier Six Shooter 44WCF
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

1895 Winchester SRC in .303 British. I've been chasing one for a long time and when I've seen one it's always been lack of $ with me at the time.
Right behind that would be a US '95 Musket.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I managed one of my grail guns for Christmas- 1873 Winchester. Next would be a 1892, or a HighWall, or a first gen SAA, or ...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have always wanted an original large frame Colt Lightning rifle in 50-95. Not the most reliable guns but like an E-type Jag from the 60's to '71 they just have some unmistakable character when they run. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I've long had a desire for a good 219 Zipper or Donaldson Wasp. Only one of the 30-30 family I haven't loaded for. While I'd prefer a levergun, an old timey varmint/benchrest rig would come home too.

In a general way I'm into any pre-WW1 firearms and some select later stuff up to the 60s or 70s but they mostly fill the role of working guns.

Eric
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My grail gun is a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 Holland and Holland. I know, not that vintage and not lever. But I have always been a sucker for a Model 70, and the .300 H&H seems to me just about the perfect do-all cartridge for North America.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:35 pm My grail gun is a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 Holland and Holland. I know, not that vintage and not lever. But I have always been a sucker for a Model 70, and the .300 H&H seems to me just about the perfect do-all cartridge for North America.
That was my first grail gun too. Got really lucky and found mine a few years ago. Grabbed a Rem 721 last year. Good huntin!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve got a veritable herd of shotguns and the newest is Benelli Montefeltro that’s 35 years old . Most of my doubles are 90 or more years old , all my O/U’s are 50 or more years , my four semi auto shotguns are 35 or more years and my loan pump is 65 years . So I reckon they all fall in the vintage category or just plain “old” . My rifles as a group are younger but most all were made before the millinium . The four Kimber 1911’s are about the newest guns I posses . So for all intents and purposes my accumulation is vintage/old . So with all that being said there are two things I’d like to add before I die . The first being a Parker hammerless 20 gauge with 30 or 32 inch barrels and the other a Parker hammerless 8 gauge . I’ve bid on several 20’s that fit the Bill over the last four months and haven’t acquired any matter of fact I bid on a 20 gauge DHE with 30” barrels while I was at a Pheasent shoot in December via phone and lost out with my final bid being 7G’s next guy went $7250 and I stopped , now bear in mind a 15% premium goes on top of that . That woulda been the most expensive gun id ever acquired if I won it at 7G’s plus the premium . I’ve got my eye on an 8 hammerless I’m just a bit apprehensive to pull the trigger and buy it .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Before I gave up looking a gunsmith showed me a Winchester 73 in .32/20 he wanted £1200.00 for it even though it looked like it had been left in the desert since the time of the Apache wars...
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Not a lever gun but recently picked up a clean 1906 pump Winchester. Well used but bore is in perfect shape.hard to find with a nice bore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My holy grail gun is a Marlin Ballard #7 A1-Extra Long Range in .45-100!! I have the same gun in the plain #7 Long range standard version, and a #4 1/2 A1 Extra Mid range. But the #7 A1 Extra has eluded my bank account. I've come across them for sale, but prices are always well beyond my meager gun fund, as they generally go in the $10k range if they're in nice shape. And rarely see one that isn't in nice shape, as they were expensive new and people who bought them took extreme care with them

This one is a well worn example and still sold for $7500!

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdju ... /2148-369/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

October Country Great American Hunting Rifle .72 (12 bore) or .75 (10 bore)caliber.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:25 pm This one is a well worn example and still sold for $7500!

I’ve bought a few at the big auction houses . Couple at Rock Island and a couple at Poulins but as of yet I’ve never had any luck at Morphys.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

My dream gun would be a Rossi Ranch Hand with the holster so I can pretend to be Steve McQueen. I've been saving up for like 6 years and I'm about half way there. Took me about a decade to save up for my Stevens .22 short and I still don't have ammo for it. Maybe one day.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jay, your desire is understandable. The Rossi is a valuable part of many collections and can certainly be a treasured addition. But don't stop with just the Ranch Hand.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So Jay, talk to your friend Six, is this a genuine Winchester or some clone used by Hollywood. See if you can have him look this over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

1961 Winchester 94 30-30
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I guess the one I called my grail I got lucky and managed to find 20 years ago. A 73 SRC in 38-40. Not a rare gun, but up here, in good shape, and at a price I could afford, pretty near a miracle.
I've been lucky enough to have, or have had, some neat guns over the years.

Now?
Oh, maybe an original short rifle. Either 73, 92, or 94. No biggie though. I'm not really looking.
I'd also like another SAA. I don't ha e a 4.75" and want one. One of the late production examples with removable cylinder bushing will suffice.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

After a long wait a 4 3/4" 45 3ed gen appeared, 79 manufacture in perfect condition.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:34 amAfter a long wait a 4 3/4" 45 3ed gen appeared, 79 manufacture in perfect condition.
Just out of curiosity, how did you find the year of manufacture?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:23 pm 1895 Winchester SRC in .303 British. I've been chasing one for a long time and when I've seen one it's always been lack of $ with me at the time.

jb 8)
I know where one is in 98% condition for $5000 canadian
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:25 pm This one is a well worn example and still sold for $7500!

I’ve bought a few at the big auction houses . Couple at Rock Island and a couple at Poulins but as of yet I’ve never had any luck at Morphys.
I've bought zilch from any auction house online. I have bought from a couple small auction houses local to me where I could preview the guns, and always been extremely pleased with my purchases.
I still have a heck of a time bidding and buying guns I can't hold in my hands first! I have bought guns on Gunbroker, or Auction Arms in the past. But the 3 or 4 I've bought were no brainers at the prices I paid, and two were buy it now stupid low prices, so not a tough decision.
I only looks at all the large auctions to stay informed as to where prices are. Otherwise I might get caught buying that holy grail gun someday, and end up overpaying when my heart overrode my good sense.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Jay Bird: is that an Ohio Ordnance semi-auto BAR or the real McCoy?
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:37 am
6pt-sika wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 pm

I've bought zilch from any auction house online. I have bought from a couple small auction houses local to me where I could preview the guns, and always been extremely pleased with my purchases.
I still have a heck of a time bidding and buying guns I can't hold in my hands first! I have bought guns on Gunbroker, or Auction Arms in the past. But the 3 or 4 I've bought were no brainers at the prices I paid, and two were buy it now stupid low prices, so not a tough decision.
I only looks at all the large auctions to stay informed as to where prices are. Otherwise I might get caught buying that holy grail gun someday, and end up overpaying when my heart overrode my good sense.
All I’ve bought at the big houses were via phone bids . And of those only one was expensive . It also happened to be the most expensive gun I’ve ever purchased . Once in hand it turned out to be as advertised or slightly better .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thank you, I'd seen that list before... one of mine is a 1978, the other a 1982. So, there's no possibility yours could be consecutive with mine... :P :P I won't be making you an offer! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have 3 79s, offer would not have been accepted anyway ;-)

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:52 am So Jay, talk to your friend Six, is this a genuine Winchester or some clone used by Hollywood. See if you can have him look this over.
Hollywood got in trouble wit dat gun....short rifle....made dem go to ATF and get biggum stamp.

The Bird.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ray Newman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:54 pm Jay Bird: is that an Ohio Ordnance semi-auto BAR or the real McCoy?
Both. :D Ohio Ordnance.......new receiver and barrel and GI everything else....serial number #33xx......the very early ones had the original barrels but they ran out of them....Six says dats a good ting....for that as this gun shoots like a match rifle. My buddy Six used it a few times at a long range match and while he didn't win, he gave dem a run for da bucks against their fancy 6.5's and such. It don't have no recoil....you can choot all day

The Bird
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

You are so funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

My top wanted Winchester: Model 1895 in 30/40 Krag caliber. I'd be OK with .303 British or 7.62x54 Russian. Buy Krag is my thing!!!!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Jay Bird: nice score on the Ohio Ordnance BAR. hap the opportunity in the mid - late 1990's to buy and never followed through. Still regretting it. Could well imagine you could shoot it on semi all day, but would hate to carry one and its BAR belt all day!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

Blaine wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:17 pm The only one I went after on purpose was my year of birth Win 94 30wcf....a 1951. It was shooting into an inch at 50 yards with the iron sights when I got it.. :)
I have a pre-WWII era Win 72 bolt .22....That's the one my Uncle taught me to shoot with. I think he paid five bucks for it.I never shot it on paper because I knew it was balls-on. Shot lots of squills with it and never missed a one.
I enjoy loading and hunting with 100+ year old guns. Puts the challenge back into hunting.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i'd like to get the 7mm Remington Rolling Block Pancho Villa era carbine my brother hocked when i was away from home. about as handy as a carbine will ever be. excellent at perforating trees up in the Mogollon. everything about it was pleasing to the paper boy who bought it from a magazine ad. no questions asked. delivered by the mailman.

this, children, is what we mean by THE GOOD OLD DAYS
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Almost as elusive as the Grail, a Winchester 54 in factory 7.65x53 Mauser.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:23 pm 1895 Winchester SRC in .303 British. I've been chasing one for a long time and when I've seen one it's always been lack of $ with me at the time.

jb 8)
i have the US 95 musket. looked for an affordable one for a long time. i finally got the russian musket in 7.62 x 54R too.

i also wanted and got a 95 carbine in 30/06 with good wood and bluing and it has the climbin lyman sight. that gun shoots 3 shots in one hole at 50 yds

some of my favorites !
cable
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:35 pm My grail gun is a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 Holland and Holland. I know, not that vintage and not lever. But I have always been a sucker for a Model 70, and the .300 H&H seems to me just about the perfect do-all cartridge for North America.
Nice choice !

That would be a top 5 for me as well

Mine would be a Shiloh Sharps Quigley model in 45-70. I know its not technically vintage, but certainly has the vibe. I would also like the buttstock cut down to a length that suited me before the patch box was added to it. I shouldered a Pedersoli repro once and the LOP was a bit rangy for me

I'd also want a 55 gallon drum of trail boss to keep it fed -- even though i like the idea of big boomers like the 300 H&H and most of the 45- calibers, my shoulders are wrecked from my other sporting pursuits and shooting something that bucks hard is misery now
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

hfcable wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:16 pm

jb 8)
i have the US 95 musket. looked for an affordable one for a long time. i finally got the russian musket in 7.62 x 54R too.

i also wanted and got a 95 carbine in 30/06 with good wood and bluing and it has the climbin lyman sight. that gun shoots 3 shots in one hole at 50 yds

some of my favorites !
The '95 has always been my favorite Winchester. I'm still searching for the other two. I did manage to pick up another .30-06 SRC that was mostly complete. I had the missing hand guard but it took a bit of scrounging and a good $ to find the correct rear sight.

jb 8)

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

those are really nice !
cable
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thank you Sir!

jb 8)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jason, can you tell me more about that military 95 with the bayonet? That is one of the neatest ones I have ever seen and would be great for long range shooting. I WANT ONE!
:D -Tutt

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

CowboyTutt wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:13 pm Jason, can you tell me more about that military 95 with the bayonet? That is one of the neatest ones I have ever seen and would be great for long range shooting. I WANT ONE!
:D -Tutt
Hey Andy, It will lob them out there for sure. When I had my little farm, I had a backstop about 900 yds from the back door. I'd brought home a steel commercial door that we had replaced at an auto shop and would sit on my upper deck and bounce rounds off it for hours. That load was a 200 gr/ .313 LFNGC, though I can't remember the powder/ charge right now, but it sure was fun. I had the rear sight all the way up and would usually hit about three feet from the bottom of the 7' door if I aimed just over the top.
This particular rifle has a Spanish Loyalist cartouche on the stock and was used during the Spanish Civil war. I bought it a very long time ago for $700 with the bayonet. Last one I saw in similar condition w/o the cartouche was $6500! :D I'd bought a Russian M91 Dragoon rifle from the same guy with the same markings but I let that one get away from me. One of the dumber things I've done over the years.

jb 8)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, as usual you have something I love and would like to own. Sounds like it is the equivalent to my 303 Brit Savage Enfield which slugs out at 313 also. Dang, what a lovely levergun! I don't have 6K for an example right now (well, I do have a line of credit) , but if the day comes you are looking to sell that one, I might take out a loan for it. If you find one for sale, let me know. I will actually start looking after my trip to Ukraine this summer. What words should I use for a search for such a rifle for sale? As usual, we have similar tastes in firearms, never ceases to amaze me how similar we are! My collection is small but customized. You have great taste in firearms and I would sure love to meet you and see them (maybe shoot some of them?) some day. God Bless you Brother! -Andy Tuttle or Tutt

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"Almost as elusive as the Grail, a Winchester 54 in factory 7.65x53 Mauser."
--7.63x53Mauser

Another elusive/not often seen is a M54 chambered in 35 Remington. Once saw one in auction catalogue. Still retained its origin shipping carton and Winchester paperwork. From picture of bolt face, it appeared to have been unfired. Checkered stock with very attractive grain pattern. The catalogue claimed it was either from the Winchester custom shop or a custom order rifle.
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

FairFrank
Levergunner

Post by FairFrank »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:25 am 1961 Winchester 94 30-30
Perfect one! My Dad had the same...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

CowboyTutt wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:37 pm Well, as usual you have something I love and would like to own. Sounds like it is the equivalent to my 303 Brit Savage Enfield which slugs out at 313 also. Dang, what a lovely levergun! I don't have 6K for an example right now (well, I do have a line of credit) , but if the day comes you are looking to sell that one, I might take out a loan for it. If you find one for sale, let me know. I will actually start looking after my trip to Ukraine this summer. What words should I use for a search for such a rifle for sale? As usual, we have similar tastes in firearms, never ceases to amaze me how similar we are! My collection is small but customized. You have great taste in firearms and I would sure love to meet you and see them (maybe shoot some of them?) some day. God Bless you Brother! -Andy Tuttle or Tutt

Thanks Andy,
I use that same bullet in my Enfields as well, and as much as I love my Australian Lithgow's the Savage No.4 will outshoot them all day. This side of my Remington '03A3 the Finn M39 is my most accurate surplus rifle. I keep trying to get my "Stuff" together and compete at the Camp Perry Vintage Rifle matches every summer. Going to try again this year. :D
I do a Russian Contract or Russian Winchester Contract search every once in awhile. Last year there was one on GunBroker that was pretty rough. I went to $1500 but it got up over $2k if I remember right.
Anytime you can make to trek to Ohio, we'd be happy to see you!

jb 8)