Before The Ammo/Components Shortage.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Before The Ammo/Components Shortage.....

Post by Blaine »

What new to you calibre would you like to have gotten into, but haven't because of the dearth of ammo/components availability?

I'd have to say .44 Special. If I had it to do over again, I'd have started with .44 Special instead of .44mag....Maybe :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Before The Ammo/Components Shortage.....

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got my 8 gauge mid year of 2020 and a 6.5 PRC in October . That’s the extent of anything new to me anytime soon . On a somewhat relevant subject I was able to order Gualandi 8 gauge wads from BPI this evening and these things had been out of stock darn near worldwide for about a year . But then again how many people own and shoot an 8 gauge much less load for one :roll: Below is a picture of my 8 gauge in WVA last month at a Pheasent shoot .
0E87E446-E2F2-4C5A-9BBA-0D3FCD62CFFE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I really wanted a Marlin XLR in .338 Marlin Express, but I kept putting it off and then they shut down. I'm hoping that Ruger does something with that caliber like the XLR, but as much as I like stainless I'd really like to see a blued version. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:33 am I really wanted a Marlin XLR in .338 Marlin Express, but I kept putting it off and then they shut down. I'm hoping that Ruger does something with that caliber like the XLR, but as much as I like stainless I'd really like to see a blued version. :D

jb 8)
When they unveiled them I had both versions of the 338 Express on order and they both came into the dealer the same day . Shot them a fair amount on paper and they did well enough but I never cared for them as much as the 308 Express (I had both versions of that one as well for a time).
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

none...
i stay with the standard off the shelf stuff so it is easier to find.....but now... :roll:
i shoot 44 sp loads out of the 44 mag....same deal with 38s
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Since I'll be picking up my S&W 64-5 soon,38 spl. would be a new caliber for me. I've had a Blackhawk in 357 mag, but I never put 38 spl. thru it. My local gun shop has 38 spl. on occasion. Lets hope they have a few boxes in stock when I pick up my Smith!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

50Beo. but'cept i got all the bullets and ammo and dies before the poop hit the propellor.

might order in a mold, but it might be .50 round ball. wouldn't that be a sight? dinging gongs with a semi-auto round ball chucker? :lol:
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

2ndovc---last 338 me XLR I saw sell on GB, went for $3,200
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

.327 Fed Mag for handgun. I have a bunch of other people's 32 h&r handloads and would love to shoot them vs breaking them down. / .358 Winchester for rifle. I have a 660 Rem. I'm wanting to rebarrel into a 6 pound carbine.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I now regret not laying in a bunch of .410 3" stuff.....I have maybe 75 shells, and no loading capacity.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I see the 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition available around here more than anything else. Not many people near me seem to have got into that caliber. Also the 350 Legend is on the shelves occasionally. Those two might be of interest.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( And .22 mag....Only got about a thousand of those.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have only 1 gun that shoots .22 Mag. It is an NAA Mini. I don't shoot it much.
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The last gun I bought was a "new-to-me-cartridge"... the .44-40 in a AWA Lightning! I bought a box of factory lead ammo, 1,000 pieces of brass, 500 lead bullets, dies and a 4-cavity mold. After shooting that 50 round box, a 100 or so of the pre-made bullets, it's sat, and I haven't had time to load or work up a good accurate load. I recently bought a 1,000 .375 Hornady swaged balls, 1,000 lubed felt wads, and am trying to add to my limited supply of #10 Remington caps... for the year's matches. This year is the 1st year the End of Trail match, SASS's International championship is going to be held east of the Mississippi, in Etna Green, IN. The match sold out in a little under 3 hours... I don't usually attend, but... this is the last year the match will be put on by the original (who's left of them anyway), members of "the Wild Bunch"... founding members of SASS. I've got a new "rifle" on order from Taylor's & Sons, an 1860 Iron Framed Henry custom made with an 18" barrel. I'm having it short stroked and one of Adirondak Jack's inspired carriers put in it so it'll fire the Cowboy45 Special. Along with a couple of other matches I've lined up this year, I'll be shooting my 1851s, a Colt 1878 and this modified Henry in either the Frontiersman or C&B Gunfighter category. And, although I have been shooting the C45S for some time in my pistols, I haven't done much with a rifle in this Cartridge. I have loads for both 160gr and 200gr pills, but haven't done much as far as accuracy testing... if they'd hit a 16" or so steel plate out to 15 yards, I've called it "good"... But, with wanting to actually compete this year, and give some of the guys that have been harassing me over how slow and deliberate I shoot... I want to make sure that it's capable of far better than 10" or so of accuracy.

So... other than the lack of percussion caps... where's this "shortage of components" of which you speak!!!! :P :P

Oh, maybe I should go inventory my shotshell primers... I haven't bought any in several years... :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Wish I had gotten a 356 with brass and dies back in the nineties. Always thought it was well rounded cartridge for a tube fed rifle.
Thinking of getting a rebore to 338-06. I would just need dies. I can use 3006 brass, my powders for 308 and my bullets for the RCM. I don't need it but ....
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

338-06 looks pretty good when you look at all the specifications. More 100 yard energy than a 30-06" good accuracy, decent bullet selection, and recoil still within the levels most people are comfortable with.
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I would love to play with a .327 Federal in a Ruger Single Six.

I have an old .32 H&R that I really like, and I suppose I could send it to Bowen to fit a longer cylinder.

But the truth is, I have a number of guns chambered in .357 magnum that I shoot all the time and I doubt that I would actually use the .327. Perhaps it is just the idea?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The .327 has a lot less recoil than the .357 Magnum. What I have seen, it is sort of sketchy on whether you get a highly accurate one or not. That might be just my experience. PillHer's SP101 is pretty accurate. The 115 grain cast flat point bullets for the .32-20 are great in it. I think of it more as a woods walking gun than an actual hunting gun, but it would handle deer if close enough and it was what you had with you. It is easy to reload the brass. I have Starline brass for her pistol. The Winchester WSP primers have gone bang every time, and Universal gives reasonably good results. For jacketed bullets I use H110/W296.
D. Brian Casady