Advertising guns for sale

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Advertising guns for sale

Post by jnyork »

How come, when some people advertise a gun for sale, they will say the firearm came from an estate or a friend who recently died or something like that. For instance, at our local club, a person selling a rifle advertised " got this rifle from the estate of an older fellow who recently died, I dont think he shot it very much".

WTF, over? Does the fact (?) that the previous owner is now deceased put a premium on the price or somehow increase the quality of the firearm? I see this all the time and just wonder about it.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Advertising guns for sale

Post by piller »

On Estate sales around here, it puts the price up above blue book value. Sort of a code for lets give the survivors a few pennies while I make a lot of extra bucks on it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

jnyork wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:38 pm How come, when some people advertise a gun for sale, they will say the firearm came from an estate or a friend who recently died or something like that.
That's because they've "lost all their guns in a boating accident", but still want to buy & sell or change their collection.

Oh, I mean their EX-collection... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Old No7 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:47 pm [ te]
That's because they've "lost all their guns in a boating accident",

Oh, I mean their EX-collection... :wink:

Old No7
Yeah, dang canoes can be might tricky. :roll:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I saw a nice little .22 S&W for sale at a gun shop once.
It was advertised as "Only Used At Parties"
When I asked about it the shop owner said this quite well-to-do couple were known for throwing big parties and when the proceedings got going they would get into a fight and one would pull out the gun and shoot the other one. Using blanks. Newcomers to the parties were never warned and the merriment caused by the "shooting" entertained all.
At the last party things were going nicely and then the husband and wife get into a fight. She pulls the pistol and shoots him. He says, "YOU SHOT ME!" and she calls him a name and shoots him again.
Then they saw the blood.
ooops
Someone forgot to check the ammo.
He survived.
They brought the gun in and put in on consignment.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Caution is still a high priority for firearm use. Mine are all loaded, except when taken down for cleaning. Even then, they might be.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"Estate sales". I knew a guy who was a fanatic about garage-type sales. Every Saturday and Sunday and sometimes Friday afternoons, he out buying bargains.

But his real preference was for "estate sales". He claimed: "You'll always find better quality at an estate sale."
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think piller nailed it. Some sellers feel that mentioning an estate or death makes buyers feel like they're helping the widow or family. I've even seen ads stating the seller is "selling this for his widow" as a more direct way to appeal to the buyers to step up.
Guns are certainly helped by provenance that connects them to particular noted persons, but I wont pay more just because the owner passed away. Unless I knew the owner personally and want to help his family get a good price for his guns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/