6.5 creedmore

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

6.5 creedmore

Post by JNG »

My son gave me a 6.5 creedmoor for Christmas. He said the the 30-30 or the Sharps 45-70 might be too much for my shoulder. (Shoulder replacement 1/20.
My 2nd bolt action rife.
You'll, Know about it ?

Joe
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 6.5 creedmore

Post by Rockrat »

Good cartridge. Recoil is mild and its very accurate. I would say its good to about 350yds for deer and under 300yds for Elk with proper bullets. Good for varmints too.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great caliber , light recoil , accurate , flat shooting. a fun gun to shoot off of the bench.......coming from an Old Geezer who has had Six Eye surgery's, Have Fun. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Clearly, in order to retain your level of respect on The Forum, you will need to post a complete Range Report, with photos and ballistics and other fun data... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Now that you own one, you should know the history of Creedmoor. Not Creedmore. It's the famous US long range set up in New York on Creed's farm, which was pretty swampy, thus the name "Moor" added to it. The Creedmoor range was the site of the first US-Ireland World Long-Range match, which the US won. Shooting at 800 yds. and 1,000 yds. with Americans using Remington and Sharps cartridge rifles, and Irish using John Rigby's muzzleloader rifles.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

It’s the flavor of the month for the tacticool kiddies . I’ve shot and loaded for a bunch of them . It does nothing the 260 REM wasn’t doing almost thirty years ago . It’s only selling point in my mind is the neck on the case , you can seat the bullet out further than you can with the 260 . However to take full advantage of the extended over all length it works better in a long action gun . If I wanna use a long action just give me a plain vanilla 6.5-06 . I honestly have nothing against the CM if used in a short action as initially intended . I just don’t care for the tacticool kiddies that think it’s something it isn’t . It is not the death Ray from Galactica or some such BS . In the close to a dozen Savage LRP rifles I’ve shot the cartridge they were all sub 1/2 MOA and a few flirted with 1/4 MOA . And FWIW I have a Savage LRP in 260 that will hang with them at all distances I tried . Just my personal self formed opinion and those that don’t agree with me that’s your prerogative.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Doc, I don't know when I'll get to shoot it due to getting a new shoulder.
When I do get to play with it, I will post it.

Joe
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:35 pm It’s the flavor of the month for the tacticool kiddies . I’ve shot and loaded for a bunch of them . It does nothing the 260 REM wasn’t doing almost thirty years ago . It’s only selling point in my mind is the neck on the case , you can seat the bullet out further than you can with the 260 . However to take full advantage of the extended over all length it works better in a long action gun . If I wanna use a long action just give me a plain vanilla 6.5-06 . I honestly have nothing against the CM if used in a short action as initially intended . I just don’t care for the tacticool kiddies that think it’s something it isn’t . It is not the death Ray from Galactica or some such BS . In the close to a dozen Savage LRP rifles I’ve shot the cartridge they were all sub 1/2 MOA and a few flirted with 1/4 MOA . And FWIW I have a Savage LRP in 260 that will hang with them at all distances I tried . Just my personal self formed opinion and those that don’t agree with me that’s your prerogative.
Agree. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, love the rifle and caliber. The many shooting forums and threads have debated this caliber bigtime. The 6.5 CM, 260 REM and 6.5 Swede are so close in performance, it's about like picking the flys@#t out of the pepper. Back when I was looking for a new deer rifle, I was actually looking for a 260, but couldn't find a rifle I liked that was chambered for it. I also didn't feel like buying a good, used short action rifle (like a Ruger 77) and rebarreling to get what I wanted. Maybe some day I'll do a project rifle in 260.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Every new cartridge or even family of cartridges are written up as deathrays. But I guess that's part of the fun. We really had about all we needed just before WWI, everything after that is just to coax more dinero from shooter's pockets. And we wouldn't want it any other way.
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Several years back I was in the market for a mild recoiling left hand bolt rifle to shoot NRA High Power Silhouette. I settled on a Savage Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and mounted a Vortex Viper scope on it. It is easily the most accurate rifle I have ever owned and is not picky about what bullet is used. It even shoots cast lead bullets very accurately. The only problem I had with the rifle was with the worthless "Accutrigger". It would frequently lock up and I would have to open and close the bolt to get the trigger to work. I replaced it with a Timney trigger and now the rifle goes bang every time.

I have taken one Mule deer and a spike bull elk with it. I was afraid the 6.5 might be a little too light in caliber for elk, but it did the job. Here in California you have to use non-lead bullets for hunting so I loaded up some 130 gr. Barnes TSX. I had to shoot the elk four times because the bullets did not expand much at all. They sure did penetrate though. I recovered only one. The rest went all the way through.

All that being said, you can't go wrong with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

IF YOU REALLY BELIEVE that the new 6.5mm is vastly better than a 6.5X55 Swede, or a 6.5X57, or a 6.5 Rem. Mag. , a .260 Remington,, or a 6.5-'.06; 6.5-.284, .264 Win. Mag., or any of the other myriad 6.5mm offerings, shooting X-grain bullets at Y-velocity, from a Z-pound rifle, then, by all means, go for it.
Just remember rhat in files of similar weight and configuration, recoil will be markedly similar, also..
Other than that, who am I to stand between a man and his obsession?
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Now days I try to avoid some of the newer fad cartridges. Remington had the 260 way before the 6.5 Creedmoor, but it just never really caught on. Remington has a way of doing that with new cartridges. A friend of mine asked me about buying a new deer rifle and all his buddies told him to buy a Creedmoor. I told him I'd recommend buying something that's been around a long time and you can find ammo for (normally) in any gun shop or mart type store. He ended up with my personal favorite, the 308 Winchester.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like a niche target cartridge which of course can be well employed for some hunting.. What are the ballistics with "normal" hunting bullets? It is a 250 Savage improved necked up.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:47 pm Looks like a niche target cartridge which of course can be well employed for some hunting.. What are the ballistics with "normal" hunting bullets? It is a 250 Savage improved necked up.
I’m no great fan but I put it head and shoulders above a 250-3000 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JB wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:25 pm Now days I try to avoid some of the newer fad cartridges. Remington had the 260 way before the 6.5 Creedmoor, but it just never really caught on. Remington has a way of doing that with new cartridges. A friend of mine asked me about buying a new deer rifle and all his buddies told him to buy a Creedmoor. I told him I'd recommend buying something that's been around a long time and you can find ammo for (normally) in any gun shop or mart type store. He ended up with my personal favorite, the 308 Winchester.
It’s the same old same old , if you get yourself in a dither to try any relatively new cartridge once you decide if you really like it and handload then buy a couple hundred pieces of brass and it makes absolutely no difference whether it’s the new darling of the tactikidds.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

20190223_203959.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

vancelw wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:27 pm 20190223_203959.jpg
Exactly pseudo tacticool wannabe .
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Well, as I had said (it was a Christmas gift from my son).
Would I buy it myself. Probably not. But I'm going to keep it. It was a nice gift.
P.S. at least 200 bucks for reloading stuff.

Joe
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

RE, your original post, enjoy, should be great for what you describe.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I don't own one , but I have had a 6.5x55 Sweed for years. My Son in Law bought the creedmore two years ago , an inexpensive Savage for a hunt He had planned. He brought it over several times , We mounted the scope and shot about four boxes of shells thru it. it didn't like the Remington ammo too well but when We shot the Hornady 143 grain VLD it really shined . I really enjoyed shooting that rifle.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

6pt-sika wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:10 pm
JB wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:25 pm Now days I try to avoid some of the newer fad cartridges. Remington had the 260 way before the 6.5 Creedmoor, but it just never really caught on. Remington has a way of doing that with new cartridges. A friend of mine asked me about buying a new deer rifle and all his buddies told him to buy a Creedmoor. I told him I'd recommend buying something that's been around a long time and you can find ammo for (normally) in any gun shop or mart type store. He ended up with my personal favorite, the 308 Winchester.
It’s the same old same old , if you get yourself in a dither to try any relatively new cartridge once you decide if you really like it and handload then buy a couple hundred pieces of brass and it makes absolutely no difference whether it’s the new darling of the tactikidds.
True, you can reload for anything provided you have the dies, brass, etc. I just prefer to reload for things that I shoot a lot of of, not because it may be a half to situation. I reload for my handguns or varmint rifles, but normally don't find it worth the effort for guns that I may shoot five or six rounds a year out of.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JB wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:57 am
6pt-sika wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:10 pm
True, you can reload for anything provided you have the dies, brass, etc. I just prefer to reload for things that I shoot a lot of of, not because it may be a half to situation. I reload for my handguns or varmint rifles, but normally don't find it worth the effort for guns that I may shoot five or six rounds a year out of.
That’s the slight difference between you and I ! If it’s reloadable there’s about a 102% chance I’ve got dies etc and do just that . A lot of the things I have would be unaffordable to shoot much if at all , if I didn’t load for them .
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I got a 6.5 CM for the wife. Ya I've heard the (good trade) joke before. Two weeks before season she expressed a desire to shoot her own deer. Two weeks before!! I needed a short stocked (trigger pull), light weight, light recoil deer ,maybe even elk capable rifle. I bought her a Savage Axis II Youth 6.5 CM rifle. What a fine little weapon. I would always be right there as backup with a "heavy" so the 6.5 capabilities aren't a debate. Time and druthers considered I would have thought maybe a 7-08 (daughter-in law's Savage Axis's cartridge) or 260 Rem (hard to find new) or even 308 (I could hand load down to start) but 6.5 CM is what I found timely. I'm very impressed with the cartridge and with the rifle. Very,very accurate ( shoots right at minute of what we need) right out of the box and the accutrigger has been flawless. In shortening the stock even more (wife is very petite) I messed up the stock (it's a hollow plastic thing) recoil pad junction and needed a new recoil pad. The factory pad recoil pad-stock mating not being a straight line I called Savage for a replacement pad. They sent me a COMPLETE stock with pad . i was and am impressed with Savage, with the Axis II rifle and with the 6.5 CM. I'm far from giving up my heavier cartridges but the 6.5 CM reloading shelf has one more stack.

P.S. I wonder if an Accutrigger type replacement is in the future for say Rugers or Remingtons? :D
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

At 66, I don’t consider myself old or outdated, but I can’t understand the 6.5 craze. It was designed for a very specific use that hinges around action length, shoulder dimension, neck length, powder capacity and a few other nuances to give it an advantage to shoot long range.

There is no denying that it does all of that well, but it is a joke to see the excitement about what it can do that has already been done in the hunting community for over 100 years.

Those that want it can have it, but I doubt any of them will kill as much with it as I have without it...
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I kind of feel the same way. It was developed with a few nuances to make a light recoiling long range target cartridge. However it is very popular now which provides for lots of rifle and ammo options. I think it’s a better general purpose big game cartridge than any 6mm or 25 just by virtue of heavier bullet availability. I do think it’s a good choice for someone who wants a light gentle hunting rifle or who wants a long range target rifle. For hunting I don’t think I will give up my 270 or 308s for it. And a 260, 7-08, 6.5x55 or 7x57 will all pretty much do the same thing in the game fields. If someone gave me one I would graciously put it to use though
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

44shooter wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:05 pm I kind of feel the same way. It was developed with a few nuances to make a light recoiling long range target cartridge. However it is very popular now which provides for lots of rifle and ammo options. I think it’s a better general purpose big game cartridge than any 6mm or 25 just by virtue of heavier bullet availability. I do think it’s a good choice for someone who wants a light gentle hunting rifle or who wants a long range target rifle. For hunting I don’t think I will give up my 270 or 308s for it. And a 260, 7-08, 6.5x55 or 7x57 will all pretty much do the same thing in the game fields. If someone gave me one I would graciously put it to use though
I have nothing against the cartridge as I'm sure I've already said a few times . What irks the s..h..i..t out of me is the little young tacticool kiddies that think it's this great thing . That whole aspect sours the round to me as I don't particularly care for the folks that fall in to that category . But I am a huge advocate of the 260 REM having used one ever since their inception . Call me what you d..a..m..n well please I've been fooling with 7mm's and 6.5mm's for well past thirty years so am I a flavor of the month follower I kinda doubt it .

Strangely I really like the 6.5 Grendel inside my own parameters but certainly not to the extent of some of the over the top tacticool kiddies .

I started with a Pre 64 Model 70 in 264 WIN MAG back in the 1980's but thats not totally true as I owned a Ruger 77R tang safety with the dog ley bolt handle in 6.5 REM MAG I bought out of Shotgun News in the late 70's but never fired . Anyway I've messed with the 264 Win Mag , 6.5 Rem Mag , 6.5-06 , 6,5x55 , 260 , 6.5 Grendel . 6.5 Sherman Short Mag , 6.5 PRC , 6.5x54 MS and the 26 Nosler . Oh yeah and the 6.5 CM although I've never owned a CM . At the moment I own all listed except the 264 Win Mag , 6.5 Rem Mag and of course a 6.5 CM . I am however kinda intrested in and oldie 6.5x57R in either a drilling or a combo gun as long as it has the scope mounts included I'm not into dealing with NECG to get a scope mounted . I also vacillate about a 6.5x47 Lapua in a HB bench rifle although I have two HB 260's and I honestly do not see enough difference to make it intresting .

I've killed a pile of deer with 6.5mm's but I've killed a pile of deer with 7mm's . 444's , and a myrad of others including a number of smoothbore shotguns . For me it went from killing large amounts of deer with one cartridge but rather to killing large amounts of deer with as many different cartridges as intrested me .
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

When I got my 6.5 Cr. it was a heavy barreled rifle. I shoot out to 550 with it (our ranges farthest distance). We still hope to get more property to go a lot farther, but I am not holding my breath. The smallest group I ever shot was with a spare Savage barrel in 6.5cm I cut off part of the chamber and made it into a 6.5BR. I am talking group size C-T-C of 1/16th of an inch @100yds. Shocking for a factory barrel.

Will I ever hunt with my 6.5cr, not really. My hunting rifle is a 6.5 x 55 Swede Ruger #1
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nothing to 'dis' the 6.5 Creedmoor, but as always, we keep reinventing-the-wheel in the cartridge world... :D

This from AmmoGuide.com.... - https://ammoguide.com/ doing a search for similar-diameter, similar-case-capacity, cartridges...
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 2.01.03 PM.png
I can't shoot the difference between a 12 gauge slug and a 7mm Remington Magnum on a good day, so I say "go for it...!"

6.5 Creedmoor is a decent cartridge, and given a decent rifle, should do what you need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rockrat wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:57 pm My hunting rifle is a 6.5 x 55 Swede Ruger #1
Even though I’ve almost cleaned house of Ruger #1’s for the second time , I could be talked into a Ruger #1A that was walnut and blued in 6.5x55 , 6.5x54 MS or 260 REM !
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I'm 66 also, not given to fads, and have been shooting since 11. I shoot different rifles, cartridges and loads because... that's just what I do. It's fun. Year to year I shoot game usually with a different rifle or load each year because...........I want to. I've hunted with and shot 458 Mag and down , Bison and Moose and down and a good percentage of each between.I'm well aware that the 6.5 CM is nothing new,special or generally does what hasn't been done by similar up to say 100 years ago. I bought a 6.5 CM because it was there,what I needed at the time and filled the requirements of who it was for. Given time, availability of funds and patience I probably would have picked something different but then wouldn't have discovered this fine rifle and cartridge. Sometimes,just sometimes, our knowledge and opinions gets in the way of discovery. :D
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

The main reason my son got the CM for me is that we were going on a hog hunt last year. We know how that went. My 30-30 is at the smiths right now to be restock. I was going to us my Sharps 45-70,
But the kick would be to much.
A good son to think about Dad.

Joe
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JNG wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:20 am The main reason my son got the CM for me is that we were going on a hog hunt last year. We know how that went. My 30-30 is at the smiths right now to be restock. I was going to us my Sharps 45-70,
But the kick would be to much.
A good son to think about Dad.

Joe
I think you’ll be fine with the 6.5 CM but I cannot say enough about spending $40 for a set of RCBS dies and scratch around for some 140 Ballistic Tips or SST’s . You won’t regret it and in today’s present situation that might be your only option with most all cartridges soon .
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

'Tis a wonderful son you've got there.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

6pt-sika

You are close on the description of my #1, but its the Stainless/walnut version!!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Congratulations! Its a great cartridge. My brother has one.

I would warn you though, make sure you are shooting the right bullet. We have seen bullet failures with this cartridge on deer. Not the cartridge's fault, just was the wrong bullet for the job. Fortunately, Remington Cor-Lock seems to be just fine.

I've been partial to the .308 since the 1980s and the only bolt guns I own are in .308, .300 Blackout and .17 HMR. I think these cover the spectrum for me and I see no reason to change. But a gift like that is a great thing and nobody should throw shade on it. Enjoy!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Great gift for a Father with a bad shoulder from a loving son! Ironically, I had just watched a video on YouTube about comparing it to the 270 Win when this posted. It is a nice cartridge better suited for target shooting as it was designed for as it's first priority but also suitable for hunting with the right bullet for maybe "normal range" hunting up to maybe 300 yards at a guess? The video I watched, not the end all be all, but worth considering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym5QWbLyFQs

For target shooting, its a great cartridge with some more forgiving improvements in accuracy and little recoil, seems to me. For hunting purposes at shorter ranges, I don't think it has much more to offer than conventional and older 6.5 cartridges. Many older cartridges too in 270 Win, 303 Brit, etc. Most of all a chance for manufacturers to sell you more dies, brass and bullets from a manufacturer.

It sounds like a cartridge well suited to your particular situation and a rifle well picked for you by your Son. I hope you load for it, it seems like it would provide you with a lot of reloading and shooting fun in the future. Regards, -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel