Winchester 92 .45 Colt cast bullet??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 92 .45 Colt cast bullet??

Post by HawkCreek »

I'm wondering if any of you have used either the RCBS-270-SAA or the LBT 280 grain WFN out of a levergun? Mine is a new (Miroku) Winchester 92 trapper. I'd like to settle one one of these two bullets for my .45 Colt needs and either one is available from Montana Bullet Works. My worry is feeding issues. Are either of these bullets with their wide meplat going to feed through a levergun?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester 92 .45 Colt cast bullet??

Post by Buck Elliott »

My favorite for that application are yhe Lyman/F.a. 300 gr, or the CPB 325 gr GC.. Both are LFN-style, and feed perfectly in a lever gun.
You may have to cut back the stop on the lifter just a bit, to allow the cartridge to cleat the magazine. I had to do that on my B-92 Vrowning (Miroku..)
I used both bullets in my .454 rifle and revolver as well..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm using a 270 SAA bullet in my Rossi 92. No modifications and it feeds fine. Fortunately these are too long to feed through my 66 Yellowboy so I can load them up a bit stouter. However, I had leading problems until I went to a .454 diameter bullet.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:02 pm I'm using a 270 SAA bullet in my Rossi 92. No modifications and it feeds fine. Fortunately these are too long to feed through my 66 Yellowboy so I can load them up a bit stouter. However, I had leading problems until I went to a .454 diameter bullet.
Same with mine. When I finally slugged my barrel is measured .453. It seems to like those Hornady 255 gr Cowboy bullets and light charges of Bullseye and since those have no trouble taking down the 100 yd rams I've stuck with that.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Thanks fellas. I'm kinda stu k on the 280 grain offerings as that's the heaviest I can load for my New Vaqueros. I hope to settle on one load so I dont have to keep ammo separated for different guns.