“...if only one gun...” [eyeball roll]

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

“...if only one gun...” [eyeball roll]

Post by AJMD429 »

It is a trite topic on firearms forums, but sometimes is entertaining and stimulates interesting discussions.

Of course if you want to be ridiculous, the ‘One Gun’ I would pick would be a 20 mm Gatling gun with the helicopter as its ‘stock’... With that, it would be pretty easy to acquire whatever other firearms you desired that were more practical in the long run.

Heading out into the wilderness, I’m sure one would be best prepared with some variant of a 22 Long rifle in a compact rifle or accurate handgun, because it wouldn’t be difficult to carry a couple thousand rounds of ammunition, which should get you through any short-term evacuation emergency, and it is quiet enough that it could be used to acquire other more powerful firearms in a social meltdown situation.

On the other hand, if a person were in the midst of a large urban area during a sudden meltdown, it would be hard to argue against having an AR 15 because of the ubiquitous parts and ammunition.

On a more immediate and practical basis, (...at least until after the upcoming election... :? ), There is the thought of what single firearm could prove the most useful for a variety of circumstances that would include protection of the home, protection in a vehicle, 4-legged predator control around the farm, hunting most common game animals, and protection against 2-legged predators as well, even if they came in a pack. Even though I am a fan of leverguns for most things, from home protection to whitetail deer hunting and elimination of barnyard predators, to big-game hunting with things like a 45-70 or 500 S&W levergun, if I had to pick only one firearm to possess under normal circumstances, I think it would be this one.
30AC55FE-5243-4982-8FDB-9100AFA88BA7.jpeg
The only thing that could be crucial in terms of it’s abilities would be personal protection outside of the vehicle or the home, because although a redneck like me might simply wear an overcoat or poncho, it isn’t the most concealable and discrete firearm for sure. Obviously it’s not ideal for hunting, although with the right bullet selection it certainly would be doable. Remember our ancestors used cartridges we would consider very under powered and managed to survive.

It can deliver a 30 caliber bullet at 1000 ft./s that weighs 220 grains, or double that velocity with a 125 grain bullet. Magazines can hold anywhere from five to thirty rounds reliably, and probably as much as 90-100 rounds. Current bullet selection it’s good in terms of weights, but admittedly the selection of bullets that would expand much at the lower end of velocities is limited. Having said that, I know plenty of people who have killed deer and coyotes and other game with 32-20’s, using ordinary cast bullets.

This 300 blackout is what I would consider the perfect set up, the 8-1/2” barrel being adequate for that cartridge and compact, and without even flipping up the lens caps the 45° iron sights with the cross hair front sight it delivers an excellent sight picture even in very dim light. The Streamlight 1,000-lumen flashlight sits below the optic, but above the bore, and provides excellent illumination out to 100 yards for using the iron sights. The above-bore green laser works well for the range of trajectories out to 100 yards in terms of practical accuracy for 300 Blackout, and the Spitfire optic, unlike most red dots, has an etched-glass reticle, so you get a dot and a ring for sighting without having to take the time to turn on the illuminator for green or red reticle illumination.

If you’ve not used 45° offset iron sights, you should try them. Although people talk about iron sites as ‘backups’ in case the optics fail, modern quality optics don’t really fail very often. The main usefulness I find is that I tend to keep the lens caps closed just to protect the optic, so the iron sights are the fastest to use in an emergency. For a short rifle that you might have a short stock on or an arm brace that you would press into emergency use by applying it to the shoulder instead of using it on the wrist, you will find that it is actually far more comfortable and intuitive to have that gun at a 45° angle than straight upright.

Of course you could set up the Same rig in a 223 or any other AR-15 derivative from 204 Ruger to 50 Beowulf, but the 300 Blackout is relatively quiet in the various subsonic bullet weights from 180 grains on up, so it isn’t likely to cause permanent hearing damage if used indoors, plus the short barrel is conducive to using a suppressor like the LibertyCans Mystic, which is a high-pressure capable (300 Win Mag) suppressor that is able to be taken apart and cleaned for those of us who like to use cast bullets, or even use it on rimfires.

I haven’t figured out a way to take a picture to show it, but you can walk out in pitch black conditions, and by simply flipping your thumb on the Streamlight, look through the irons and you will see a bright green laser dot in the middle of a very well illuminated field of fire out to 100 yards, and that dot will be precisely in the middle of the crosshairs of the front sight as seen through the rear sight aperture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: “...if only one gun...” [eyeball roll]

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Doc i keep thinking about a 350 Legend shooting 180gr RNFP's at 1400-1600fps. I can see the 300 BO being just as useful shooting 170-200gr at same velocity.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

K 22
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
Your close but no tomato as far as I'm concerned.....as you know, they each have their pros and cons so I made my personal deduction as to thinking practical as to what the majority of uses would be........and those uses would be eating first, combat second.

If it's combat you would most likely be going up against LE and in that case your done even if you had a Dillon Mini Gun. If it's average people, well, no one wants to be shot , even with a .22 short. I'd rather have something where they don't know where the shot is coming from. Even without a suppressor, the Ruger 10-22 will fire CB caps dead silent...you just have to pull back on the handle for each shot.....with CCI "Quiets" a shot to the head will kill anything from 200 pounds down. It will feed you all of the small game you need.

Add a Franklin Armory binary trigger and you have legal full auto.

A .22, as you know kills well out of the proportion of its tiny cartridge. From deer on down, no problem. 99% of your shooting will be on small game or drilling holes in a fence post.

We will not be "in the movies" where hoards of people will be chasing you down. We will most likely band together with family members or close friends and figure out what our next meal will be.

I'll take the .22 just the way mine is set up.......it weighs 6 pounds with an empty mag.

The 300 black out with the 8" barrel weighs 7 pounds, 4 ounces.

Both guns are robust but I'll give the edge to the .22 Ruger takedown. It will eat everything from CB caps to CCI "Accelerators" at 1400------006

Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Left handed Remington 700 in 30-06.

Please read my sig line.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jack that is the exact gun I have stashed in the mustang. If I could only have ONE for all my needs....12 gauge pump. With a short barrel good news t great home defense, choked barrel good for hunting, rifles barrel good for deer/bear. I said it was good for not great at each of those things. If you think the people moving west had Winchester’s in every cabin you’re wrong but most had some type of multiple projectiles firearm, whether a shotgun or a smoothbore musket. My opinion and worth exactly what ya paid for it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun, I have to agree your choice makes sense.

My ‘runner-up’ choice was my Ruger Charger 22LR with the Odin Chassis (lightweihht aluminum stock replacement with M-loks and a 1913 rail on the rear so you can attach a folding arm brace). It has a threaded barrel so even regular 22LR is quiet, and is compact enough to conceal somewhat if needed without having to put pieces together.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:31 pm Jack that is the exact gun I have stashed in the mustang. If I could only have ONE for all my needs....12 gauge pump. With a short barrel good news t great home defense, choked barrel good for hunting, rifles barrel good for deer/bear. I said it was good for not great at each of those things. If you think the people moving west had Winchester’s in every cabin you’re wrong but most had some type of multiple projectiles firearm, whether a shotgun or a smoothbore musket. My opinion and worth exactly what ya paid for it.
I think you are exactly right. I don't think you can beat a shotgun for an all around food/defense gun. If I could only have one it would be a shotgun.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

All this angst... I licked this problem a long time ago. I only have one gun... for every purpose. Luckily, I have multi porpuses!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, of course one gun has never been that practical for the broad spectrum of needs that might arise during a time of social upheaval. Of course in a pure survival situation in the woods, etc. A good .22 rimfire rifle with a lower powered scope makes sense, because of the low report, and portability of a generous supply of ammo, and I think I would want a silencer to make it even quieter. And there is no question that one can kill about anything with it, provided you have the opportunity for a brain shot, but its been my experience that many times that opportunity does not avail itself, and if you were in a combat situation, you might not get the threat stopped soon enough to survive the encounter.

And then if you were in a urban situation, or a riot, I want something bigger then a .22 as I have see enough on TV lately to determine that there are some rabid people out there that do not run the other way at the sight of a gun, or even if you have already shot someone, and it can get crazy very quickly. Personally, if I found myself in that violent encounter, even an AR does not seem that comforting to me, and I would rather have an FAL in .308 Win because I want decisive one shot stopping power. But, in that extreme situation, I don't know if the outcome would be very favorable anyway. But the big downside to any long gun is that it's not very concealable and unless you are trying to defend you home or business, you wouldn't want to advertise that you were armed.

And a shotgun is not my first choice, because the ammo is bulky and heavy, and the effective range is a little short.

So, my urban choice, if I had to navigate such a jungle would be a major caliber semi-auto pistol in an accurate full sized service pistol. Several choices would work, as long as I had plenty of extra mags. And I would become the so called grey man, unnoticed by most as I went about my business.

Please note: I am not advocating violence of any kind, this is just hypothetical anyway.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Hey Six,

Did you know there is a binary trigger for the 10/22 out now?

:)

Cat
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Having only ONE gun, wouldn't it be sensible to own the ONE gun you use the most? There may be (hopefully) long periods of carm between shoot outs with well armed opponents or zombies, meanwhile in the real world you may want to still shoot clays, deer, squirrels, ducks, paper or steel gongs. ONE gun (remember the Liberator pistol) should be capable of getting more suitable weapons of war if needed. Obviously if you are ONLY preparing for war or the apocalypse pick something military with plentiful ammo.
Being in the UK my choices are VERY limited so until push becomes shove I'll carry on sniping Squirrels, it's good practice for other eventualities too.... :wink:

I can just imagine sitting with a double barrel.600 nitro express on my lap waiting for the return of T Rex and wondering why my buddies never invite me to go shooting.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Doc Im glad you did this thread actually. i wanted to do one but being a lot newer my rep is much lower, one rolleyes might erase me altogether.

I already have my one and only centrefire, a 357 magnum Rossi. I to'd and froed between a 44mag and 357 for a while but settled for the 357 again. I also have a ruger 96/22 lever action and a chiappa 22lR over 410 ga combo gun and a crossbow and thats all I own.

Reasoning for 357, I wanted the bare minimum you can shoot medium game at short/mid range. 223 was an option but doesnt hit as hard over these ranges. A lever is not the fastest action in use but one of the fastest to get into use. It can be drawn like a sword from a lot of small spaces. 357 can kill large game with "very careful preparation". it carries almost as light as 223 ( about 3 lbs per 100 vs 2.7lbs for 100x 223), better storage density than 223 ( 1200 for 223 in 50cal can from memory vs 1500 for 357), Both are twice as light as 308 or 44 mag. Can feed you forever on small game, 3-4 grain loads means up to 2000 reloads per pound of powder, case life into the dozens at these levels, barrel life infinite, a few hundred bucks of components and it becomes the lifetime backup for a 22LR. Then you can run 9mm carbine power with 4-6 grain loads in a 20" barrel which actually have some game taking ability to 90 yards too. Then high power loads, and a 158 grain bullet at 2000fps is not just a 100 yard small game toy, find a good load and optic sights, it will take your medium game to 150.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Catshooter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 am Hey Six,
Did you know there is a binary trigger for the 10/22 out now?:)Cat
Hey Cat!!...yep.....I even wrote about it in my post above..........I'm gonna call Franklin Armory today and get the low down on availability andif they have them, I'll probably buy a half dozen as I see great potential in these babies.

The ones in my AR's work beautifully.....can empty a mag out about the same as full auto.

I see no reason for full auto as long as you have a binary....yea baby....we"s gonna party on!......

On their website there are NO SALES to communist states.-------006
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The Binary trigger for the 10/22 is only $299..... But they they aint been in stock since late August.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:11 pm The Binary trigger for the 10/22 is only $299..... But they they aint been in stock since late August.
You would think ammo manufacturers would give them away free.....
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If I could only have one gun, it might as well be a single shot pistol. Cause after I found out I could only have one gun I wouldn't need a second shot.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mickbr wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:29 am Doc Im glad you did this thread actually. i wanted to do one but being a lot newer my rep is much lower, one rolleyes might erase me altogether.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :D
No chance of that here - we welcome new blood and ideas.

I agree with the 357 Levergun as another GREAT candidate for "if just one" - talk about a single gun for doing pretty much everything...! Get one with a threaded barrel and add a suppressor, and you have 22 LR quiet, 22 LR 'recoil', and enough power to drop a whitetail at 75-100 yards with decent accuracy (which that levergun WILL provide if you get decent sights). It does great duty as a home-protection firearm, and you'd have to find a really young kid or really gun-shy female to find anyone who couldn't shoot a 357 Mag levergun....and 90% of them (especially if you put on the suppressor) will just LOVE shooting it, even if they aren't a "gun person"...

See my 'Night Scout' levergun posts for more on that... :mrgreen:

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

The way I was raised most households had a pump twelve, a repeater .22, a 30/30 or cutdown bring back Mauser sporter. In the bedroom drawer a .22 handgun and a 38 special or a bring back luger.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Booger Bill wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:34 pm The way I was raised most households had a pump twelve, a repeater .22, a 30/30 or cutdown bring back Mauser sporter. In the bedroom drawer a .22 handgun and a 38 special or a bring back luger.
Sounds like that would cover most eventualities.... :wink:
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

This game is so old, I don't want to play any more. :roll:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Booger Bill wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:34 pm The way I was raised most households had a pump twelve, a repeater .22, a 30/30 or cutdown bring back Mauser sporter. In the bedroom drawer a .22 handgun and a 38 special or a bring back luger.
That definitely was 'mainstream' America in the 50's through the 70's.....then the Dimwits took over..... :roll:

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'd have to take a 22LR as my only one. Cheap ammo, easy to carry, fairly quite, and effective on deer sized game and down with head shots.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

765x53 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:20 pm This game is so old, I don't want to play any more. :roll:
I still play 'old games'.....I even taught my wife and kids to play the card game called 'Canasta'.... :shock: (...I think it was popular in the 1950's, but got phased out by the huge popularity of 'Bridge'...)

So I apologize if I am stuck in the past... :D

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Not a great deal of use in the current situation but I have heard it said that in a complete EOTWAWKI when all the ammo has gone the Brown Bess musket would still keep on doing it's thing with homemade gunpowder etc... :wink:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have a 16 inch Model 94 Winchester that I carried in my patrol car back in the 1980s. I bought it used from Collector's Firearms in Houston and I still have it. Later, I carried it as a Deputy and it has served me well.

I don't know how many rounds I have fired through the barrel. Maybe not a lot, but it hits where it is pointed. It has very little finish on it anymore from riding in a saddle scabbard but its an old friend and I don't think I would be better armed with anything else. I trust it.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:08 am Not a great deal of use in the current situation but I have heard it said that in a complete EOTWAWKI when all the ammo has gone the Brown Bess musket would still keep on doing it's thing with homemade gunpowder etc... :wink:
Can you maintain the 3 shots a minute per british infantry requirements? :mrgreen:

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Good question.
My only, would be my TC contender .357 8 3/8" barrel .357. Years ago I had this barrel punched out to .357 Max. I can shoot .38 special, .357 Mag. .357 Max and shot shells. This barrel is a tapered octagon early barrel, also sports the shot shell choke on the end of the barrel.

Since I can switch barrels I would also have my 10" tapered octagon 22lR barrel.

I also have for the piece, a foldable aluminum stock that replaces the grip. I know this is not legal for hand gun use, but if TSHTF who cares.
This stock was made by Pioneer in Payson, Arizona in the mid 1970's. Sorry, I will not post photos of this stock.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:45 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:08 am Not a great deal of use in the current situation but I have heard it said that in a complete EOTWAWKI when all the ammo has gone the Brown Bess musket would still keep on doing it's thing with homemade gunpowder etc... :wink:
Can you maintain the 3 shots a minute per british infantry requirements? :mrgreen:
I bet Nath could...... :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wouldn't get rid of the first, a K22
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

if I was in a survival situation - like that my survival depended on having only one gun, it would definitely be a 22magnum - which I view to be an order of magnitude more effective and versitile than the 22lr, yet the ammo doesn't take up much more room or add much more weight. The 22mag is literally twice or more as powerful as the lr, and true FMJ ammo are available which will more reliably penetrate the skull of large game at longer distances, and the FMJ ammo is also very effective on small game to reduce tissue damage. The various JHP ammo are dramatically more effective on mid size (turkey, ground hog, racoon, coyote, etc) sized game than the LR.

if a non-survival situation, and in a world where I am only allowed to own a single firearm, and regulated hunting seasons still exist. I guess a shotgun makes the most sense. though I might still choose a 30-30, as deer hunting is the only hunting that I couldn't live without doing. I do most of my squirrel hunting with airguns anyways, which will likely not be impacted by any "gun" restrictions or bans.