New 6 gun KirkD style

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

New 6 gun KirkD style

Post by moodyholler »

KirkD, you have ruin't a many good feller. Here is my new to me S&W. Got to learn how to feed it. Think it is in 44 S&W. Got to get sdies, and brass. Good night, moodyholler
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice smith :mrgreen: !Thanks for posting. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) Thanks for sharing the picture!!! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very sweet. looking forward to the range reports
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I LIKE it!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Neat! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

SWEET!!! :D
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

He's ruined you too. :lol:

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Very nice! Looks like you got yourself an original S&W New Model #3, and in very nice condition too! The most likely caliber is the 44 Russian which was a popular caliber in the Old West. They did come in other calibers, however, so you'll have to make sure what it is. It could be a 44-40, or 455. The cylinder will tell the story. If it is 44 Russian, you can get properly headstamped brass from Starline. I use a 246 grain Keith bullet (which weights 256 grains when lubed and sized) over 22 grains of FFFg. I also have some smokeless loads using 2400 or 5744. Kanuck, you're fortunate to have one with a magnificent 8" barrel and wood grips. Here's a couple photos of mine with a special order 6" barrel and standard grips shipped in 1880 ....
Last edited by KirkD on Tue May 20, 2008 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

Grips are wood on mive, but very dark, bore is perfect. I am sure it is 44. Fellow had 5 to choose from. Thanks, moodyholler
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: New 6 gun KirkD style

Post by Slick13 »

It is most likely .44 Russian. If it is .44 American, the chambers will be bored straight through. If it is .44-40 (unlikely), the cylinder will be a little longer than standard, IIRC. Venturino's "Shooting Six Guns of the Old West" has a lot of good info on identifying the various S&W #3s, and reloading for them.

~Michael
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

moodyholler wrote:Grips are wood on mive, but very dark, bore is perfect. I am sure it is 44. Fellow had 5 to choose from. Thanks, moodyholler
Dark wood grips are a bonus .... is shows they have not been refinished. I'm partial to wood. Slick13 gave you good info on figuring out the difference between the S&W 44's, but as he says, it's most likely a 44 Russian, which was the Father of the 44 Special and grandfather of the 44 Mag. For an article , see http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handgu ... index.html
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My first day working for Westley Richards back in 1967, I took a look in a back room and found a S&W new model #3 lying on a table. I thought I'm going to love working here! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Question for Hobie or AmBraCOL

Post by rjohns94 »

Why does this topic post spread across two screens in its format. Scrolling down through the topics, stops at this post because the go to previous post button is off this screen and way to the east. :?: :?:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

always wanted one of those . :D Mutt
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

How do I find out what year mine was made? Serial number is 761X. Can it be lettered? Like a WInchester? Thanks, moodyholler BTW, I have seen none other with the lanyard mount. Is it factory?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You're very lucky guys. Those are really nice. I've always liked the looks of them.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

moodyholler wrote:How do I find out what year mine was made? Serial number is 761X. Can it be lettered? Like a WInchester? Thanks, moodyholler BTW, I have seen none other with the lanyard mount. Is it factory?
I've seen quite a few with the lanyard swivel. Whether they are all factory or not, I don't know. You can get a factory letter from S&W. Go to S&W Factory Letter and follow the instructions.