OT my recent m700 30-06 purchase

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT my recent m700 30-06 purchase

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I bought this at the local funshop from my buddy for $295. He did this as a favor - I had seen a Rem 78 in 30-06 that he had and came back to buy it... only he had decided to add it to his collection and put a new 6.5mm barrel on it. So, I guess I whined enough :wink: and he comes out with this other one that I did buy. Older Rem M700 BDL in 30-06 (bore is vg) with Redfield mount/rings. The bore was filthy with copper fouling but this came out with Hoppes BR first followed by 4 applications of Sweets followed by a final Hoppes treatment. Looks like it was shot, put away, shot, put away with maybe a couple of boxes of ammo through it total - the bore looks new. So, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Here's what it looked like when I brought it home:

And after I fixed the stock (found a crack) and camo'd it:

Yep, as I was applying the base coat of paint, I discovered a hairline crack running longitudinaly starting about an inch behind the recoil lug recess and running down the cutout for the mag well. I drilled a hole horizontally and drove a scew into it - coated with superglue. Plugged the hole with JB Weld and sanded.

I also decided to put some JB Weld into the recoil recess to bed it (as I thought maybe this may be at the root of the crack forming...) and also a dab at the forend pressure point (there was a little shallow hole there).

It's sitting with the screws partially tight while the JB Weld cures. I applied some breakfree to the metal contact surfaces - hope that does the trick!

So, you guys think these repairs will do the trick or should I start shopping for a new stock?

I like the way it looks and the price is right.... I was planning on shooting it and seeing how it printed but do you think these repairs will hold up?

Any of ya'll try this kind of repair on a "tupperware" stock before?

I figure this crack and the excessive coppy fouling may have caused this to shoot poorly which is why it got traded in....

Oh, and do you notice anything else "weird" about this rig? I don't think it's a problem.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Your repair methods are sound ones.

I like the camoflauge pattern you've employed. It appears to have a rattle-snake like appearance to it...which we all know works very well for those creatures.

Good luck with the shooting...I hope it turns out to be accurate for you.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Nice rifle. I've made this repair a number of times. Truth be told, a lot of wood stocked bolt actions have a hairline crack between the recoil lug recess and the magazine well. The cause is as you mention, improper bedding of the recoil lug in the recess (wood shrinks). I usually fix the bedding problem with whatever will stick and drill the hole you talked about through the wood web between the two recesses (recoil and magazine well). I cut a piece of fully threaded quarter inch screw to fit into the hole all the way through the stock. I dip the screw in epoxy and put it in the horizonal hole going east to west through the stock. I then apply a washer to each side of the screw coming out of the stock and then apply a nut to each side. I snug the nuts down, trim off the excess screw material, peen the screw over the nut to ensure it doesn't come loose, and pour epoxy into the remaining holes (one on each side - when I drill the hole going through the stock I drill the outsides of the hole a little larger to accommodate the recessed nuts and to allow a little room for more epoxy). I let the thing sit for a day, sand the epoxy down smooth to the stock and I'm finished. I've done a number of stocks this way and they have always held. I usually add a screw right behind the trigger toward the wrist of the stock to prevent cracking in that area as well.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well thanks for the feedback. I guess my "common sense" answer was the right one this time :)

I hope my simple screw repair holds up - this is a poly stock and I figured the super glue would hold it fast. There was also a hole between the front mounting hole and the recoil lug (for weight reduction I guess?) and I filled that up with JB Weld too - figured it wouldn't hurt to add support there.

I guess the proof will be in the firing.

This rifle was intended for rough duty - I am a woose when it comes to taking my nice walnut stocked rifles out in the rain or for a rough ride in a 4x4... I'm hoping this shoots as well as the purty ones...

Oh and Paperpatch - I got that 'look' by spraying through open weave fabric. I degreased the whole stock with denatured alcohol and then with acetone (can't get it too degreased!) and then applied a base coat of tan Krylon flat cammo. After it dried, I added the OD green, brown and black shots through the fabric. Learned that hanging out on gun boards! :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I sure wouldn't order a replacement stock after doing all that work, unless yours just falls apart, which I can't imagine it doing. The repairs sound strong and well done.

I'd use it with pride.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yeah, I feel that way too. I do like working on my rifles and it makes them much more interesting to me.

If it shoots good, then I'll be good to go. And by good, I mean factory core locts at an inch to 1.5" at 100 yards. That'll indicate that it can shoot more than good enough for hunting. Handloads almost always do better.

Oh, and nobody's commented on the mount - its a short action base on a long action rifle. It functions fine though and Im sure three screws are enough to hold it fast.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!