OT: More turkey load testing...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: More turkey load testing...

Post by bigbore442001 »

Yesterday I went to the range with some different components for my TC Black Mountain Magnum 12 guage muzzleloading shotgun. Namely the use of Knight shotcups and over the shot wads.

I had some interesting results. The patterning was much better but one situation disappointed me.
I made some photo copies of a turkey head and neck target for patterning purposes. I do believe I will have to get some butchers paper and do a proper pattern test. This gun seems to pattern a bit low on target.

Shot no. 1:
90 grains of H777
2 oz of No. 5 shot
Knight shot cup
RWS musket cap.
Shot off the bench at 25 yards.

41 pellets in the head and neck target. 10 pellets in the brain and spinal cord.

The shot still had a bit of a hollow sound. It may be the result of shooting under a pavillion.

Shot no. 2 :

90 gr. H777
2 1/8 oz no 5 shot
Knight shot cup that has been trimmed to the level of the shot.
RWS musket cap.

Total of 7 pellets in the brain and spine area. 30 pellets in the whole head/neck target.

I noticed that the there was a cluster of shot in the lower left quadrant of the target. 36 pellets in a three inch circle .

Shot No. 4 :

90 gr H777
2 1/8 oz of no 5 shot
Knight shot cup, untrimmed
RWS musket cap
Aimed a tad high. The front bead was placed on the head of the turkey target.

A total of 46 pellets were in the head and neck target with 17 in the brain/spine area. .

I noticed that as the gun got a tad dirtier, the hollow sound diminished and it seemed there was a bit more recoil. Maybe the gun needs a fouling shot for it to perform.

Shot no4. Same as above but at 30 yards. There was a slight delay in ignition and I moved.Sooooo...only three pellets in the bottom of the target.

Shot no 5, same load except trimmed shot cup and off hand at thirty yards. I suspect that thirty yards is more realistic as to what I would expect to see a bird at .

A total of five pellets in the head and neck target with three in the brain/spine. The pattern seemed to be a tad low.

When it comes to hunting turkey you tend to be sitting and shoot off your knees, so the pattern may be better.

I am not 100% sure what the next step is? Should I be satisfied with what I see?
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I would say yes you should be satisfied. Not to say that tweaking over time won't improve your pattern, but 10 hits in the head and neck area on a turkey will be a consistent turkey killer. You are doing better than that already. If your gun requires that the bead be placed "on" the birds head then that's what you should do. Personally, I like it that way. I have no experience with the Knight shot cups but I have used 12 gauge shot cups before. I found a little better pattern with cups so I use them also.
I have harvested several birds with black powder and think it's the most satisfying accomplishment. Though I do use a double barrel, rarely does a hunter use the second barrel. Just remember to get to the bird as fast as you can after the shot to get your foot on it's neck until it has expired. I had a bird go almost thirty yards on a roll and flop session this year.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom