Browning 71 modified to straight stock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Browning 71 modified to straight stock

Post by WoodrowC »

Background on this project: my Browning 71 is my #1 hunting gun for Northern Ontario moose and Whitetail deer. It has put meat in the freezer for many years, and has spent time with me in the bush in weather conditions only fellow hunters would understand and appreciate.
I reload the .348 Win. cartridge for different uses: 40 grains of Reloder 7 for whitetail and 48 for moose. I like it better than any other cartridge I have ever used, including the 45-70, for what I use it for: very effective on 1600 lb. bull moose with 200 yard range.
I've read the thread started by Getitdone about altering a 71 to straight stock, and decided to try it. I know the feelings of many who would never modify a good gun, and I respect that, but I feel that I now have my perfect lever action rifle for hunting big game in my neck of the woods.
Here it is:

The plastic finish had been removed long ago, so I cut the pistol grip away, lengthened the upper tang area by about an inch, and then cut the lower tang metal away. Then it was a lot of careful work with a flat file and sandpaper to blend the stock wood into the lower tang metal.

The next part is not for the faint of heart! I heated the finger lever with a propane torch, braced it on the inside so it wouldn't close up, and squeezed it in a vice. The lever was still attached to the frame so I could use the lower tang to draw it to in the vice. Worked like a charm. I can faintly see the two dimples on the bottom of the lever that it had in original form, but I think this could be filed out carefully.
I restained the wood and cold blued the lever temporarily, as I want to work on fixing the checkering once I get the tools.

It's not for everyone, but I like it a lot.

Gerry
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Took alot of guts to do that to a Model 71. Looks great and something to be proud of.. :D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Very, very nice. I like it. I perfer the straight stocks anyway. Good work.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You got some big ones, my man. Nice work. I have always been a fan of the straight stock and lever, both for mechanics and looks.-------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm a straight stock guy myself! Guts, yeah, it did take some guts.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats, fine job. finished projects are special!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd of passed out for holding my breath way too long before I could get that done. You've got guts.
Old Law Dawg
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

Many thanks, friends.
It's sure not the first risky thing I've done in my life............

And it suits me right down to the ground.

Gerry
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

those ain't guts youall are seein cause i sucked mine in thinking about doin that to mine. but mine isn't a browning.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

8)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nice work, post and final product. I like the straight stock. welcome to the fire.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Thanks for sharing that story.

Nice project and results.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sweet! Great job - makes it even more special when you put yourself into it like that.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

You know, of course, that the ghosts of Col. Townsend Whelen, and all those devoted Winchester designers who labored to make the 71 the ultimate in a lever action big game rifle, are frowning down on you for this!!!? :lol:

Nice job! :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I really like your rifle, it looks sharp, and yes you did have nerve to do all this. What if you had sneezed or got something in your eye at the precise wrong moment? But I'm going to keep on tipping things over with my long tang 71 just as she is. I'm a coward and I know it. Congrats on your rifle though.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

Great job, my hat is off to you Sir!
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

WoodrowC,

Thanks for showing us what you did with that Browning 71 carbine. Glad I helped a bit with the idea.

Seems to me there's no question that a straight stock and lever is gonna lever better.

Appears you chose to leave the "fat" forestock as is.

Any change with the sights--or planned?

A wonderful, top quality gun.

Don McCullough (Getitdone1)
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Good job. I've been thinking of doing that to my Winchester 71. I really don't like the pistol grip stock. It's either going to be straighten it, or sell it. I dislike it that much. May be simpler to get a straight lever from an 86, but I don't know if they directly interchange.

You have the shorter barrel also. I've been thinking of hacking 2" off mine, to make it a 22". Then it would be about right to me.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice job and first posting. :D Welcome aboard WoodrowC.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well done! Looks great. 8)
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Nice stock modification. That takes a steady hand and patience.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

Thanks for the welcome, Gentlemen. I've been reading and enjoying this forum for a few years. It feels like home.

Good one, Grizzly Adams.......I didn't even think about how Col. Whelen would feel!

Don..........Except for the pistol grip, I rather like the chunkiness of the Browning 71 fore-end and stock, especially the high comb. So other than fixing the checkering when the tools come from Brownels, and rebluing the lever properly, that will be it. The standard sights do the job for me. I considered a full length mag tube (from an '86 carbine) but not sure yet.
I wasn't really going for a copy of an extra light '86, just a trimmer '71.
And it fits my horse scabbard better as well.

Regards, Gerry
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Gerry,

Sacrilege, pure sacrilege! The 71 is perfect as originally designed. Can you tell I love the pistol grip?

That said, I would love to own an '86 extra light in .33 Winchester, which is what you have recreated in form if not caliber.

Nice work!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Good job, but all you would have to have done was buy a Winchester straight lower tang and lever to get the job done. That way you could've kept the original parts. I did just the opposite and converted my '86 EL to a PG gun.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I like it. Winchester should have offered it so.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

all u need to do is add a full length magazine tube to achieve perfection. do that and if u get tired of it u can always sell it to me :mrgreen: