Range "report" - including a lever!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Range "report" - including a lever!

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As far as detailed range reports, this one will be pathetic. I have no pictures of the guns being fired, nor of the targets. These were all .22 Long Rifles, so no reloading data to compare and contrast. We shot some cheap bulk Remington fodder, so nothing to note of importance there.

Still, it was my kind of range day!

My son turned 10 last Friday. I asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday, knowing full well he'd want to go shooting. He is a chip off the ol' block, after all! :wink: But he surprised me - he asked to take his best friend shooting.

His buddy had never fired a real gun before, and I love to get people started in the shooting sports, so I gladly agreed. His father and I co-lead our sons' Cub Scout Webelos den, so I called him up, made the invitation, and included the father. The four of us arrived at the range, and after a brief safety discussion, we started with a bolt-action .22, my son's favorite, the one I customized for him many years ago:

I like to start with bolt-action .22's. Low noise, no recoil, and easy to be accurate with even for a novice (thus building confidence). Plus, easier for me to make sure they are being safe. He really enjoyed shooting it.

We then moved to the Henry H001L "Large Loop" lever-action:

They all got a kick out of this. We were shooting the "Barney" targets I posted about many months ago. A lot of fun to shoot (the father really enjoyed this!).

We then moved to handguns, and I broke out the Ruger Bearcat:

This is the one they ended up firing the most. I let my son do a lot of the instructing of his friend, with me hovering to make corrections and ensure safety. I didn't need to do the former, and only had to reinforce muzzle control a bit. I was so proud when my son was teaching him how to load the Ruger. "Load one, skip the next one, then load the next four. Pull the hammer back then ease it down, using your thumb, by squeezing the trigger. The firing pin is on an emtpy chamber..." :D

Last we took out the High Standard Supermatic Citation Model 104 semi-automatic pistol:

The boys really loved shooting this, but after a magazine each it started to jam every round. The slide stop was engaging after each shot. When I cleaned it this evening I took the grip panel off on that side, and the stop just fell out - the spring is mangled. Oh well, I'll need to get a new one. This one originally belonged to my son's grandfather (my Father-in-Law). BTW, all of these belong to my son!

We had a ball, and I got another young sprout hooked on shooting. A good day for all! :D
Last edited by Ysabel Kid on Fri May 09, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Even without all the superfluous stuff, GREAT range report!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Griff wrote:Even without all the superfluous stuff, GREAT range report!
+1 :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nice job!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done YK, you have our permission to be very proud Sir :D
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good to see you and your boy are getting more people into shooting, the more the merrier! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Good stuff YK. You are modeling well for all to see how to get and keep the next generation strong in the ranks. :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice post!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If all 80-million gun owners did that once a month, we'd have the entire nation educated, and most of them 'converted' within a year... :!:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:If all 80-million gun owners did that once a month, we'd have the entire nation educated, and most of them 'converted' within a year... :!:
I hadn't thought of it that way, but you are 100% correct. I have taken many firearms "virgins" out to shoot for the first time - and have never had one state that they didn't enjoy it. We all need to be looking for opportunities to introduce people to the lawful and enjoyable use of firearms - especially the younger generation. They will be the ones defending our rights - or legislating them away - when we are all old and gray. The anti's attack gun shows because they know that this is often where youngster - attending with their parents - get "hooked". They attack school shooting sports, the Boy Scouts and any other organization that teaches youth safe gun practices and the history of our rights. They attack ammunition, hunting lands, and hunting seasons - all with the intent to make it so difficult and so expensive to participate in the shooting sports that within a generation there will not be enough people who care about defending the right that they will finally be able to attack it head on. We must remain ever vigilant!

Take a newbie to shoot this election year! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Did the other kids' DAD have a blast, too...? You may have added TWO new shooters to the fraternity.

I like the part about your kid being 'instructor' - I've watched my own kids who are a bit older give patient instructions to ADULT guest shooters about how different guns work and reminders about safety. Those are 'Proud Daddy' moments indeed! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:Did the other kids' DAD have a blast, too...? You may have added TWO new shooters to the fraternity.

I like the part about your kid being 'instructor' - I've watched my own kids who are a bit older give patient instructions to ADULT guest shooters about how different guns work and reminders about safety. Those are 'Proud Daddy' moments indeed! 8)
Yes and yes. His father did a tour in the Army, so he has fired weapons before. He just doesn't own any now, and it had been a long time. I think the range session might have given him the "itch" - hopefully! I am going to continue offering to take them and we'll see! :wink:

And yes - a very proud "Daddy Moment" indeed! :D