Gun leather

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

Gun leather

Post by ScottT »

Nice leverguns and six shooters go hand in hand with good leather. But I am not terribly happy with with my current rigs. Too complicated.

What are you using to hunt on foot with? Image
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

This is my 44mag hunting setup with practically the same exact setups for the 357mag and 45colt.

Just a standard Hunter brand buscadero belt and holster. The Kbar has the regular leather sheath.

The fit and function is perfect for what I use them for.

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I just stuff everything in my bag/haversack, even the knife is attached to the outside of that. A pistol/revolver might be on the belt. We do a lot more of getting in and out of the truck than some do, so the pistol is small and tucks out of the way. IOW, no 7½" barrels.

I always thought your setup was good. Maybe you need more of a Commodore Perry Owens approach with the rifle and pistol ammo on the same belt.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

The one rig I have used for years and do not need any other is a Biachi 2 1/4" Belt #B3. I can mix and match cartridge slides, holster and knifes as required. Her are a few possibility's.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I need to take some pic's of my rigs. I have a money belt made by Rick Bachman. It's a nice belt but it has too many cartridge loops. I'm toying with the idea of having one built with only 5-12 loops. My holsters I make myself, as well as my knives and their sheaths.
Old Law Dawg
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Commodore Perry was tied to a horse and his rig is made with that in mind. As a pedestrian hunter, I don't know that it works with my hunting style.

Frankly the web belt is very comfortable, but it has too many loops to really be practical.

I like carrying a pistol when I hunt. Having run short on ammo before (I believe I have told that story here) I won't be without a short gun in addition to my rifle.

However, I have not found the balance I seek.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

ScottT wrote:Commodore Perry was tied to a horse and his rig is made with that in mind. As a pedestrian hunter, I don't know that it works with my hunting style.

Frankly the web belt is very comfortable, but it has too many loops to really be practical.

I like carrying a pistol when I hunt. Having run short on ammo before (I believe I have told that story here) I won't be without a short gun in addition to my rifle.

However, I have not found the balance I seek.
I get you about CMP's rig's design, but I was thinking more like x number of rifle loops and the rest in pistol loops. Maybe you need an over the shoulder bullet holder. It would likely have to be a pretty long strap you being so big.

I do like the "haversack" system. I can put as much or as little as I want in it. It is grab and go. Works for all seasons and all guns. Well washed canvas is quieter than nylon.

We have had some people "approached" while eating lunch with their rifles on the ground. I think the handgun is a good idea.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Depends on what I'm carrying. Most often a 4 3/4 in. SAA in .45 in a Kirkpatrick "graveyard" belt and holster. Probably the most comfortable gun belt I've ever used. I never fill up all the cartridge loops though.
If I'm toting the Ruger .41 mag it rides in a Hunter sure-fit on the Beltman belt I wear everyday.
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Winchester 94 and a Smith 24.
This is my current solution to a walking around rig. I carry a shoulder bag as well with supplies I'll need for the journey ahead. Knives are normally a stockman in the pocket and a belt knife in the pack.
I carry a Ruger in .41 and .45 as well.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

woods-walker, That belt and holster is a beauty! Who made it?
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

El Paso Saddlery Co. El Paso, TX

It is a 1920 "Tom Threepersons" holster with a #3 lined belt, both are Floral carved.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have two rigs, one puts the priority on rifle cartridges, and the other puts it on sixgun cartridges.

In the photo below, the top one holds 20 rounds of 45-70 and 10 rounds of 44 Russian, and carries the sixgun in the right hand draw position. The belt was custom made for me by Ron Reed of Cody, Wyoming and the holster by Gary Kangas here in Canada.

The rig below it was made by Mr. Soellner of Chisholm's Trail ( http://www.chisholmstrailleather.com/ ). He made up two cartridge sliders to go on this belt, one holding 45-70 cartridges (or 45-90 , 45-60 & similar) and the other for 38-55 cartridges (or 30-30 or similar). This carries the holster in either right hand or cross draw positions, but my preference has become cross draw. This rig has become my rig of choice. Five extra rounds of rifle ammo is plenty for hunting (I do carry extra in a small pack), and the sliders give me flexibility in calibers. The sliders can also be slid around right up front for handy and quick reloading.

Here are a few more photos of the Chisholm Trail leather:
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Nice rigs guys! Thanks.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

All of my cas leather is made by El Passo Saddlery - I highly recommend them - they are high quality and very reasonable price - making tack and gun leather for over 100 years... http://www.epsaddlery.com

I just bought one of these #88 Street Combat rigs for my Sig P220:

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Kirk, that is the near perfect solution. I have ordered one very similar. I inted to have 45-70, and 32 special slides, with ammo loops for my 1rst gen Colt. I need to have a sheath made for my Bowie, but the demascus blade I am carrying currently already has a suitable sheath. I carry cross draw in the field all the time.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'm a big fan of the cartridge sliders. That way the belt is more adaptable to other calibers and you can put the sliders at different positions on the belt depending upon the circumstances.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kirk I love your Schofield. I should try and find one of the new ones.

Took some pic's of my leather.

Old Law Dawg
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Here is my outfit, although I rarely carry two rifles at once :wink:

Levergun Leatherworks slings, butt cuff and 10-cartridge wallet (fits 303 Brit up to 45-70
Ruger belt and two-position holster (I always carry cross-draw)
Freedom Arms 6-shot sliders (I usually carry one on the belt and one in my pack)
Linder Skinner with factory sheath.

The sliders are very nice because you can position them to work with your pack's waist strap. Cross-draw lets you sit and glass without scraping on rocks. The wallet protects the cartridges from damage and moisture, yet allows easy access and is quiet.

Chad
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Kiwcook, mine is actually an earlier model than the Schofield. Having said that, I did have an original Schofield for a while and I sorely miss it. By the way, I use photobucket also, and I'm guessing your image is missing because of the incorrect tag. Copy and paste the very bottom tag below the photo you want to post and everything should work well.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kirk, you must be breathing that clean Canadian air too deeply. I'm not missing any images that I'm aware of. You might of misread my first post stating I need to take some pic's of my rig and thought it was this is my rig. Sometimes I partake of too many Kokanee's and I see things that aren't there too, or the opposite and I see double and triple images. :D
Old Law Dawg
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Leather I've been using lately.

All from Levergun Leatherworks. http://www.levergunleather.com/index.htm

Marlin 45-70 1895 GS, and Ruger .45 Colt Blackhawk.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

kimwcook wrote:Kirk I love your Schofield. I should try and find one of the new ones.
Kim, not to nitpick, but, if it's chambered for the .44 Russian, it isn't a Schofield. It's a S&W Model #3, probably 3rd model. To be a Schofield, it would have to be chambered for the .45 S&W Schofield cartridge.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I like this thread. I like the ideas that I am getting from all the leather setups.

I never thought about having them be modular to accept different holsters and ammo strips. Of course, I have never owned a handgun let alone hunted with one. :?

Learning is fun. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

kimwcook wrote:Kirk, you must be breathing that clean Canadian air too deeply. I'm not missing any images that I'm aware of.
By gum, now you got me wondering if I'm dreaming!:shock: In your post where you mention getting a Schofield, there is a box with a message from photobucket saying it has been deleted. If you see a picture there, then maybe I should take a nap and things will be better when I wake up. :D
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

KirkD wrote:
kimwcook wrote:Kirk, you must be breathing that clean Canadian air too deeply. I'm not missing any images that I'm aware of.
By gum, now you got me wondering if I'm dreaming!:shock: In your post where you mention getting a Schofield, there is a box with a message from photobucket saying it has been deleted. If you see a picture there, then maybe I should take a nap and things will be better when I wake up. :D
You're fine Kirk...I don't see a picture either, just the message box.
Chad
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing. I did have a problem with one while previewing but I didn't post it that I'm aware of. Who knows I can't see anything when I go through the thread. Maybe I shouldn't stand so close to the horse manure pile.
Old Law Dawg
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

kimwcook wrote:Kirk I love your Schofield. I should try and find one of the new ones.

Took some pic's of my leather.

kimwcook,
This is what we are seeing.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

And, that's what I'm seeing. I did take more but of the same thing so I didn't want to bore anyone with more than one of those pic's. Just to be safe I'll stick to my Corona's for the minute and I've put the horse up for the day. Actually as a side note, I had my wife get on one of our four year olds, I'd already ridden him for a half hour, she made it down the pasture and when she turned around she squeezed him with her legs to tell him to go. That's what you're supposed to do, other than this guy has serious horsepower, and, long story short, he dumped her. She landed on her butt and she's hurting. :(

It'll be a while before I get her back on. I rode the horse, he's okay. She's definitely not.
Old Law Dawg
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

jeepnik-Nice leather :D !I especially like the Rifle sling setup. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Hope your wife is alright kimwcook. :shock:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gun leather

Post by Travis Morgan »

ScottT wrote:Nice leverguns and six shooters go hand in hand with good leather. But I am not terribly happy with with my current rigs. Too complicated.

What are you using to hunt on foot with? Image
Well, that holster is made to be used with a standard pants belt, not a 3-4" gunbelt. That'll be one reason you're not happy with it.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pullnshoot25 »

Its not a classic wheelgun, but I do like my holster setup. Everything is from Simply Rugged.

Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

ScottT, if that big stag-handled Bowie is complicating your rig to much, I can trade you a nice little factory production folding blade for it. :wink:
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I have carried that Bagwell Bowie since about 1986. I would not want to be without it. It does not need to be reloaded. :D
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Bill Bagwell does make a great Bowie! Mine is a bit smaller, with a rosewood-looking handle, and had its edge buggered a bit by the prior owner during sharpening. I should probably have the master himself take a look at it.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't have a pic of just the holster, but generally, when hunting I wear an old Bianchi belt and a Bill French cross-draw for the SAA he made for my wife. It sits a little lower than normal on the belt, with the hammer about level with the top of the belt. It is raked at about 35º degrees from vertical to be really comfortable when walking or sitting. Since I haven't hunted with my Sharp's yet, I've still got to figure out how to carry extra rounds, but a belt slide will be my likely choice.

With it and my strong side holster in place this is the same rig I wear when mounted shooting. Very comfortable when mounted or in the pickup.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

This is a rig I carry quite often. It was handmade from an old Bianchi holster by a hunting guide in Alaska. He carried it for years and told me it had saved his life a more than once by letting him get to his old first generation Colt SAA 45 in time. It smells of campfires and smoke, his and mine. I can put my 4 3/4 Colt SAAs or I have a flattop Ruger 357 Blackhawk 4 5/8 and it holds them very snugly. I got another holster a while back that I carry pretty often now with a spur strap style flap, but seem to gravitate towards the first one. I can through any rifle cartridges in one pouch and fill the other with cartridges for whatever SA I choose.

"That'll Be The Day"