OT - Eating Horse ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Scott Young wrote:if yall remember God told peter in a vision to eat unclean meat. i have eaten horse, in fact i am planning on butchering some this fall. i am in the process of checking the local laws here in mississippi. you can buy horses at the sale barn for $50.00!!!!!

that is a lot of meat for $50.00!!!!!!
If a person takes time to look at the context of Acts Chapter 10, It's pretty evident that the subject is not about God changing the dietary laws he set forth in Leviticus Chapter 11. The vision Peter had of a vessel descending with all manner of beasts was not an invitation to eat heretofor unclean meat. Verse 17 tells us that Peter doubted in himself what the vision meant. But a little further in Verse 28, we see what the vision meant. God was showing him that he should not call any MAN common or unclean. The lesson summed up is in Verse 34, "God is no respecter of persons". No where in the chapter is there license given to eat unclean meat. The descending animals were pictureing to Peter that God was calling Gentiles to the faith, and not to call them unclean.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

stretch wrote:The only thing I've heard against eating horse meat, is
that some of the drugs put into domestic horses might not be
good for humans to ingest.
And are you sure exactly WHAT goes into cows? Most likely at LEAST the same if not more.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Army served it in the Mess up thru the mid seventies...congress forbid it somewhere about that time......It was called mystery meat, or monkey meat......I liked it....also had it in Germany. Heck, I've had dog in Korea....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Paco
Site Owner

Post by Paco »

:wink: IT'S CONSIDERED A DELICASEY IN RUSSIA... THAT ALONE TURNS ME OFF... BUT I HAVE EATTEN ZEBRA, IT WAS VERY GOOD... PACO :)
PACO/OWNER
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

ImageMeat is meat sure you have to draw the line somewhere :P :lol: :D
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I ate horse several times when I lived in Japan. Cooked in a variety of ways and even raw. It was quite good there. I live in Korea now...
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

horse

Post by joachim slim »

i ate horse several times when i was in germany. it had a sweet taste to me and bigger grained. i always wondered what it would taste like grilled.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't think I ever have, but I would if need be. My wife and I were talking about horses this past weekend and I brought up this topic as a joke. She didn't think it was funny, but agreed if need be so would she.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:The Army served it in the Mess up thru the mid seventies...congress forbid it somewhere about that time......It was called mystery meat, or monkey meat......I liked it....also had it in Germany. Heck, I've had dog in Korea....
You HAD to bring that up, didn't you? :lol:

I'm another dog eater (like Lewis and Clark). Horse is better.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pullnshoot25 »

I ate horse sausage once, it was really good actually.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

It seems it is illegal for humans to eat horse or donkey meat in Australia, however, there are two Belgian owned abbatoirs that process horse meat for export [ :? ].
Dakota7
Levergunner

Post by Dakota7 »

Since there is no market for surplus horses anymore and I have at least one knot headed horse that is nice and fat, how about a BBQ. If enough of you want to come and help eat it.
Dakota7
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

After all the crow I have been forced to eat over my lifespan, horse might be a nice change of pace.

They remind me of an antlerless moose. Prolly go just great in a crokpot.
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

I don't see anything wrong with eating a horse, Heck, Ive hunted and consumed Ground Hog, Mud turtles, Snake, even ate monkey when i was in jungle school while in the service. but i would have to pass on the possum. :shock:
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

An Italian I met at a Ford plant in new jersey said he ate horse meat that he would buy as 'pet food' ,cooked it and ate it.Some guys at work asked him to bring some in for them to try so he made sandwiches and gave them to the ones who asked,they couldn't tell the difference from beef and all said it tasted great. While I was earning my degree in wildlife mgt at the Univ of AZ we had weekend field trips in remote desert mtn areas of south western arizona and everything we trapped or shot(we had AZ State Collection Permits that allowed us to hunt or trap 24 hours a day even with spotlights) for study was saved for the last night camp stew which included leftovers or venison,javelina that students brought with them from home for the weekend also some of the ingredients could be any of the following: kangaroo rat,quail,rabbit,snake,pocket gopher,song birds,squirrels(ground or tree)etc,I guess you get the picture.We all ate the stew & biscuits!
Last edited by scr83jp on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

scr83jp wrote:Italians eat horse meat a worker in a ford plant in new jersey would buy 'pet food' horse meat ,cook it and eat it.Some guys at work asked him to bring some in for them to try so he made sandwiches and gave them to the ones who asked,they couldn't tell the difference from beef and all said it tasted great. While I was earning my degree in wildlife mgt at the Univ of AZ we had weekend field trips in remote desert mtn areas of south western arizona and everything we trapped or shot(we had AZ State Collection Permits that allowed us to hunt or trap 24 hours a day even with spotlights) for study was saved for the last night camp stew which included leftovers or venison,javelina that students brought with them from home for the weekend also some of the ingredients could be any of the following: kangaroo rat,quail,rabbit,snake,pocket gopher,song birds,squirrels(ground or tree)etc,I guess you get the picture.We all ate the stew & biscuits!
You sir are making me hungry! :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Andrew wrote:
scr83jp wrote:Italians eat horse meat a worker in a ford plant in new jersey would buy 'pet food' horse meat ,cook it and eat it.Some guys at work asked him to bring some in for them to try so he made sandwiches and gave them to the ones who asked,they couldn't tell the difference from beef and all said it tasted great. While I was earning my degree in wildlife mgt at the Univ of AZ we had weekend field trips in remote desert mtn areas of south western arizona and everything we trapped or shot(we had AZ State Collection Permits that allowed us to hunt or trap 24 hours a day even with spotlights) for study was saved for the last night camp stew which included leftovers or venison,javelina that students brought with them from home for the weekend also some of the ingredients could be any of the following: kangaroo rat,quail,rabbit,snake,pocket gopher,song birds,squirrels(ground or tree)etc,I guess you get the picture.We all ate the stew & biscuits!
You sir are making me hungry! :D
Yup Yummy...the true meaning of freerange "potluck" supper :D !!!
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

When I worked at W.R.Weaver company in El Paso, Texas in the mid 70's,
a lunch truck would come around at lunch; and he was from the other side of the river.(Mexico)
He had burros made with horse meat, but it was not the normal fare; you had to ask for them.
They were actually quite good, but I have never told anyone untill today.
As I have lived all of my life in the Southwest, I can attest that ranching culture puts eating horse meat almost on a par with cannibilism
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Rusty wrote:Someone who read this pointed out to me that under the Law in Leviticus Ch.11 a horse is an unclean animal and not to be used for food. I was joking in my earlier post. I've used that line on several vegans I've talked to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genesis 9:2-4 (New King James Version)
New King James Version (NKJV)
Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. 3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. 4 But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Timothy 4:3-5 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

3Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

1 Timothy 4:3-5 (New International Version - UK)
New International Version - UK (NIVUK)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.
4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,
5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

1 Timothy 4:3-5 (New King James Version)
Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

1 Timothy 4:3-5 (New American Standard Bible)
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

3men who (A)forbid marriage and advocate (B)abstaining from foods which (C)God has created to be (D)gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
4For (E)everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is (F)received with gratitude;
BigBoreWhore
Levergunner

Post by BigBoreWhore »

Wild horse, eat em up...
Captive... Think about all of the SH!T that vets pump these poor animals full of... If you must... Hunger is a powerfull thing....
Overkill, When is dead not DEAD enough!
AKA- Raffica=(Full Auto or Burst)
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

BAGTIC wrote:
brucew44guns wrote:... However, just because a lot of people in this, and in other nations eat horsemeat, doesn't guarantee to anybody that it is fit, or was ever intended for human consumption.
I wouldn't want to argue with God about it.

Genesis 9:

2And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.

3Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Clean and unclean meat as defined in the bible is a fairly straightforward study. The laws of clean and unclean meat as shown in Leviticus 11 are not the only references as to their being a difference. The verses just above as shown by the poster, are verses written right after the flood, long before Lev. 11. However, if one looks at Gen 8:Vs 20, (which is only 4 verses before the ones quoted above) you will see that God puts a distinction between clean and unclean even here. They did not use pigs, horses, or possums etc. to offer an offering, they used clean beasts, and clean fowl, showing a difference in how meat was looked upon. Even when Noah loaded the ark, Gen 7:1-2, they loaded 7 pairs of every clean beast, and 7 pairs of every clean fowl, that was so Noah's family would have meat to eat that was clean, and that they would have extra clean animals to offer offerings to God. They only loaded 2 pairs of unclean animals.Then, if you notice John 10 Vs 35, we see that the scripture cannot be broken. So, if one is looking at Lev. Chap 11 (it's very clear) and seeing what God said about what is fit to eat, then Gen 9 Chap 2 has to be understood that the ALL and EVERY MOVING THING is referring to the clean animals only, not snails and slugs and rats and gophers etc. God declares the human body to be the temple of the Holy Spirit, he has something to say about what is fit to feed that body. There is no argument with God, he has made his statements about the subject. Of course, man is a free moral agent, and can choose to eat just about anything, and often does. But the book doesnt condemn meat in one place as unclean, then give license in another place to eat it, that would be breaking the scripture. Didn't he say once, "I change not"?
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

stretch wrote:The only thing I've heard against eating horse meat, is
that some of the drugs put into domestic horses might not be
good for humans to ingest.

But I agree - 1800 lbs of horse buried for no good reason
is an awful waste.

I feel the same way about roadkill. Folks will hit a deer with
the car, and want NOTHING to do with the meat. I understand
if the animal is spread all over the pavement, but why not eat
an animal if it's not too badly banged up? I have with no problems -
my wife oldest kid enjoyed it too.
IIt seems a sinful waste to leave tens of pounds of meat to rot
just because we've become a little too "civilized" and squeamish.

(Didn't mean to hijack the post - just sayin'....)
I had to remove a buck with a broken leg by a busy road. Animal Control officer shot it with a .22 , we bagged it in a body bag, brought it to a private school so they could butcher it and feed the students. When they opened the bag, it started kicking. Kinda startled everyone!
otteray
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

brucew44guns wrote:
BAGTIC wrote:
brucew44guns wrote:... However, just because a lot of people in this, and in other nations eat horsemeat, doesn't guarantee to anybody that it is fit, or was ever intended for human consumption.
I wouldn't want to argue with God about it.

Genesis 9:

2And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.

3Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Clean and unclean meat as defined in the bible is a fairly straightforward study. The laws of clean and unclean meat as shown in Leviticus 11 are not the only references as to their being a difference. The verses just above as shown by the poster, are verses written right after the flood, long before Lev. 11. However, if one looks at Gen 8:Vs 20, (which is only 4 verses before the ones quoted above) you will see that God puts a distinction between clean and unclean even here. They did not use pigs, horses, or possums etc. to offer an offering, they used clean beasts, and clean fowl, showing a difference in how meat was looked upon. Even when Noah loaded the ark, Gen 7:1-2, they loaded 7 pairs of every clean beast, and 7 pairs of every clean fowl, that was so Noah's family would have meat to eat that was clean, and that they would have extra clean animals to offer offerings to God. They only loaded 2 pairs of unclean animals.Then, if you notice John 10 Vs 35, we see that the scripture cannot be broken. So, if one is looking at Lev. Chap 11 (it's very clear) and seeing what God said about what is fit to eat, then Gen 9 Chap 2 has to be understood that the ALL and EVERY MOVING THING is referring to the clean animals only, not snails and slugs and rats and gophers etc.

[But ironically God allows people to eat grasshoppers and beetles.]

God declares the human body to be the temple of the Holy Spirit, he has something to say about what is fit to feed that body. There is no argument with God, he has made his statements about the subject. Of course, man is a free moral agent, and can choose to eat just about anything, and often does. But the book doesnt condemn meat in one place as unclean, then give license in another place to eat it, that would be breaking the scripture.

The story of Noah and the flood is an out and out fable that any third grader should be able to see through provided his brains have not already been softened by brainwashing.

Didn't he say once, "I change not"?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HE changes not but the scriptures do change because they are not God but men's perceptions of God.

"The verses just above as shown by the poster, are verses written right after the flood, long before Lev. 11. However, if one looks at Gen 8:Vs 20, (which is only 4 verses before the ones quoted above) you will see that God puts a distinction between clean and unclean even here. They did not use pigs, horses, or possums etc. to offer an offering, they used clean beasts, and clean fowl, showing a difference in how meat was looked upon."

Levitus was a guidebook for the Levite priests. It was about ritual cleanliness and applied to the priests.

Genesis was not written at the time of creation. Adam and Eve did not know how to read and write and if they could have they probably would not have been keeping a diary (My apologies to Mark Twain)) in which they chronicled their own shortcomings.

The oldest known Hebrew writing dates only to approximately 900-1000 BCE. The first five books of the O.T. are considered to have been written about the same time, according to tradition by Moses, and are retellings of older spoken traditions.

1 Timothy 4:3-5 (King James Version)

3. Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5. For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

1 Timothy 4:3-5 (New International Version )

3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.
4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,
5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

1 Timothy 4:3-5 (New King James Version)

3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

1 Timothy 4:3-5 (New American Standard Bible)

3men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
4For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude;
5for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

1 Timothy 4:4 King James Version (KJV)

For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

1 Timothy 4:4

For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude;

1 Timothy 4:4

For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew 15:9
"BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.'"

And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
Matthew 15:9

But in vain do they worship me, Teaching as their doctrines the precepts of men. Mark 7:7 American Standard Version (ASV)

"They worship me in vain;
their teachings are but rules taught by men.'

Mark 7:7 New International Version (NIV)

Listen to this passage
View commentary related to this passage

7'(A)BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.'
Cross references:
Mark 7:7 : Is 29:13

Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

Mark 7:7 Isaiah 29:13
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

"... Even when Noah loaded the ark, Gen 7:1-2, they loaded 7 pairs of every clean beast, and 7 pairs of every clean fowl, that was so Noah's family would have meat to eat that was clean, and that they would have extra clean animals to offer offerings to God. They only loaded 2 pairs of unclean animals."

The fallacyof this explanation is that Adam and Eve were given ONLY the plants to eat, no meat. God did not give man meat to eat until AFTER the flood. There was no reason for Noah and his family to have meat, clean or otherwise, to eat.

Chronologically Leviticus occurs long after Genesis. At the time of Genesis there was no distinction made between 'clean' and 'unclean' meats. Meat was meat. In order... God gave man meat (all meat) to eat, Moses took some of the meat away from man, Jesus gave it all back.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

GO AHEAD AND HAVE ANOTHER HELPING

Post by brucew44guns »

Well, I guess I have been straightened out by an expert. But I ask any logical thinking man to consider this. If we see and notice that the Creator God had it wrote in his Bible in Lev. Chapter 11 detailing what animals a man should eat, being very precise as to what is involved,---- and then we are not able to find anywhere else in the scriptures that contradict what is said in Lev 11, ( the verses quoted by the poster above is referring to religions who teach vegetarianism and condem the eating of meat, or in the case of Priests who are forbidden to marry) ( and these things are not in the word of God that we should do those things) what are we to conclude? Are we to conclude that Gods word is merely the precepts of men? I suppose some would say that, as evidenced above.
The bible talks about cattle, deer, elk, moose, and on the list goes. It talks about bass, trout, and tons of other fish that are good. It talks about turkey, chicken, pheasants and dozens more in that category that are good for food. Why would I want to try and force the word of God through ambiguous scriptures?, to try and prove a point that won't agree with the clear and easy to understand scriptures,-----that would give me license to eat rats, mice, dog, cats, buzzards, snails, skunks, possums, slugs, and vermin? The clearly spelled out verses in the bible are the roadmaps to understanding the more dificult verses. Lev 11 is clear. Gen 9 vs 2 is more obscure, you understand it by understanding Lev 11. Oh well, I've said enough. But not one of the scriptures outlined in the above posters write up have bearing on the subject of disproving Lev 11, and proving that it's ok to eat horse from a scriptural viewpoint.. Nor even remotely proves the point that unclean meat is approved for consumption in the bible. Bruce
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Although some of you might think of this as tenderizing

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Why would you quote a book you don't believe to make a point?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Never had horse that I'm aware of.......but this topic got me to wondering......what do the Amish do with their old or lame horses..???
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

"Feral horses, donkeys, and camels are hunted in outback
Australia for the petmeat trade____
Bob
=============

Man, I had no idea there were camels in Australia ! !
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: GO AHEAD AND HAVE ANOTHER HELPING

Post by BAGTIC »

brucew44guns wrote:Well, I guess I have been straightened out by an expert. But I ask any logical thinking man to consider this. If we see and notice that the Creator God had it wrote in his Bible in Lev. Chapter 11 detailing what animals a man should eat, being very precise as to what is involved,---- and then we are not able to find anywhere else in the scriptures that contradict what is said in Lev 11, ( the verses quoted by the poster above is referring to religions who teach vegetarianism and condem the eating of meat, or in the case of Priests who are forbidden to marry) ( and these things are not in the word of God that we should do those things) what are we to conclude? Are we to conclude that Gods word is merely the precepts of men? I suppose some would say that, as evidenced above.
The bible talks about cattle, deer, elk, moose, and on the list goes. It talks about bass, trout, and tons of other fish that are good. It talks about turkey, chicken, pheasants and dozens more in that category that are good for food. Why would I want to try and force the word of God through ambiguous scriptures?, to try and prove a point that won't agree with the clear and easy to understand scriptures,-----that would give me license to eat rats, mice, dog, cats, buzzards, snails, skunks, possums, slugs, and vermin? The clearly spelled out verses in the bible are the roadmaps to understanding the more dificult verses. Lev 11 is clear. Gen 9 vs 2 is more obscure, you understand it by understanding Lev 11. Oh well, I've said enough. But not one of the scriptures outlined in the above posters write up have bearing on the subject of disproving Lev 11, and proving that it's ok to eat horse from a scriptural viewpoint.. Nor even remotely proves the point that unclean meat is approved for consumption in the bible. Bruce
Don't put words in the Bible's mouth. The Bible did not talk about turkeys or possums, or moose for that matter, because they did not exist in the biblical world.

There are many Biblical references to being able to any meats. The citations I posted relate directly to the issue and are not ambiguous. ALL is a very simple word. Even most third graders understand ALL.

None are so blind as they who will not see preferring instead to bury their head in the sand. They DID have ostriches in biblical times.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Re:

Post by Slick »

brucew44guns wrote: aligators
Aligator is delicious! It's one of the many "fried things" you can get "on a stick" at the local fairgrounds!
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Eating Horse ?

Post by TomF »

Matthew 15:11 Not what goes into a man that makes him unclean but what comes out.

TomF
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I guess I'm the only one who thinks of eating Crow(s)?

http://crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

Mental Preparation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you are wondering if this section is simply an elaborate practical joke to anyone visiting the page. On the contrary, we have received a great many requests asking for further information about the culinary delights to be experienced when dining on the "Black Bandit". In fact, we believe a natural prejudice has prevented most crow hunters from even considering this bird as wild game. Our experience is that the mere mention of dropping these birds on the menu brings a series of comments from other hunters as if we had just suggested stir frying up a batch of common sewer rats. And if you ever make the mistake of sharing these thoughts with a non-hunter, be prepared for the same reaction you might get if you invited them to dine with the Donner party. This is a shame since, properly prepared, the members of the Corvid family are as tasty as most other game birds and even tastier than some. Besides, with crow populations as high as they are, what an untapped resource we have at our disposal.

Historically, crows, as well as other non-songbird species have been common fare. Remember "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie"? Our revulsion seems to center around the fact that the crow and it's close relatives are scavengers and therefore unfit to eat. Well, as far as pigs and chickens are concerned, you just wouldn't believe what these supermarket critters will stick in their mouths. Seafood? You honestly don't want to know what goes into a Blue Crab before it ends up on that expensive crab cake platter. I suppose the same goes for lobsters. The list goes on.

In short, it's really just our cultural prejudice that limits our possibilities. You know, maybe crow meat just needs some clever marketing terminology. Look what they did for Sweet Breads and Escargot...

Field Preparation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will come as little surprise to anyone that even the biggest crow doesn't make much of a meal. However, the fact that it is often possible to take large numbers at a time can compensate for this. Since a morning shoot can easily net from 10 to 100 birds, you want to limit the amount of time necessary to clean each bird. Put out of your head any idea of plucking a crow like you would a goose or duck. Besides the breast meat, there just isn't enough edible meat on a crow to make it worthwhile. Using the technique described below, you can extract the best meat of a crow within a minute or two with very little mess.

1. Lay the crow on it's back in front of you with it's head pointed to the right.

2. Take a finger and locate where the breast bone meets the upper abdomen.

3. With a sharp knife, make a cut across the crow (wing to wing) below the breast bone. Don't be concerned about cutting toodeep, no edible meat will be damaged with this cut.

4. Holding the birds feet with your left hand, place 2 or 3 fingers under the skin where the cut was made and pull in opposite directions. The skinless breast meat should now be exposed.

5. Take the knife again and separate each breast half away from the bone starting in the middle and working outward. You should end up with 2 lime sized pieces of crow breast. Discard the remains properly.

The meat can now be frozen, marinated or freshly prepared.

The results of a quick morning hunt ready for the freezer or the skillet. This batch took about ten minutes to clean. Looks pretty good once the feathers are off.

Recipes

Below are some recipes that have been donated by fellow members. Feel free to try these or to experiment with your own creation. There is no reason why any recipe for dove, quail or grouse to be found in a wild game cookbook would not work just as well. Then you can decide whether to tell your guests what went into the recipe before or after they have finished. Bon Appetite!!

Summer Crow Kabobs
submitted by Gordon Krause (The CrowMaster)

Ingredients
16 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) (8 crows)
16 pieces of green pepper
16 cherry tomatoes
8 button mushrooms
8 ears of sweet corn
1 1/2 cups of Teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup melted butter
8 kabob skewers
Preparation
Cut each piece of crow in half and place in a covered bowl with the Teriyaki sauce over night. Clean and cut each ear of corn into 3 pieces. Cook in boiling salt water for 10 minutes. Alternately put corn (3 pieces), green peppers (3 pieces) and cherry tomatoes (3) along with 4 pieces of crow meat on each skewer. Use 1 mushroom to top each skewer. Brush with melted butter and place on preheated grill for about 4 minutes. Flip, butter again and place back on grill for another 4 minutes. Repeat one last time for a total of 12 minutes or until they appear done. Serves four adults.

Country "C" Medallions
submitted by Marta Hnizda

Ingredients
24 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) (12 crows)
2 medium onions (chopped)
6 tblsp of oil
5 slices of bacon (chopped)
1 big or 2 small turnips (peeled & chopped)
1/3 of celery root (peeled & chopped) - note: substitute with celery
3 tblsp wet mustard
1 tblsp lemon juice
salt, pepper to taste
dash of paprika
2 bay leaves
2 juniper berries - note: substitute with allspice
1 tblsp Majorjam (crushed)
1 heaping tblsp of mayonnaise
water
Preparation
Sauté onions and bacon in oil until golden. Add meat, spices and sauté some more. Add vegetables and the rest of the ingredients except mayonnaise. Add enough water to keep the meat almost covered. Simmer slowly, adding water as it evaporates. In about 3 hours you will see that the meat is soft enough to cut with a fork. Take the meat out and place on heated platter or dish to keep warm. Remove the bay leaf and put all the gravy (about 2 cups) in a blender and blend. When thoroughly blended, add mayonnaise and blend shortly.
Add gravy to meat and serve over rice with a winter salad. Serves four adults.

Pan Fried Crow
submitted by Chris Thompson

Ingredients
2 eggs
seasoned bread crumbs or flour
oil or bacon grease
Preparation
Remove breast meat from as many crows as desired. Beat with meat mallet (for tenderizing). Dip pieces in beaten egg and then in bread crumbs or flour. Fry in oil in hot skillet. Bacon grease can be substituted by can smoke. Leave inside a tad pink.

Crow Creole
submitted by George Carpenter

Ingredients
2 medium onions
2 fresh chilies chopped
2 ribs celery
3 cloves garlic minced
¼ pound butter
16oz. chicken broth
1 can whole tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
8oz. ketchup
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
1/2 tablespoons garlic sauce
1/4 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 pound (12 pieces, or so) crow breast chopped into bite-sized pieces
Preparation
Brown the crow breasts in a skillet with butter or oil. When browned, place them in a Sauté onion, celery, chilies and garlic in butter until tender. Add the above ingredients and all of the remaining ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours.

To serve, heap about 1 cup of rice in the center of the plate, and ladle a generous amount of the sauce around it. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.

Crow Casserole

Ingredients
12 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) (6 crows)
2 quart sauerkraut
6 slices of bacon
1/3 cup of chopped onions
Preparation
Brown the crow breasts in a skillet with butter or oil. When browned, place them in a casserole dish on 1/2 inch layer of sauerkraut. Lay a 1/2 strip of bacon on each 1/2 breast and sprinkle the onion on them. Next, add another layer of sauerkraut and some of the juice. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours. Makes 2 servings.

Crock Pot Crow

Ingredients
12 - 16 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) (6 - 8 crows)
2 cups barbecue sauce
1 cup water
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of chopped onions
1/3 cup of chopped green peppers
salt and black pepper to taste
Preparation
Shred crow breasts into as small pieces as possible. Add to crock pot with all other ingredients. Cook in crock pot for 6 hours on low. Serve over rolls or bread. Makes 4 servings.

Crow In A Blanket

Ingredients
4 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) per person
wild rice
bacon strips
butter
salt and black pepper
Preparation
Rub each crow breast piece with salt and pepper. Wrap each piece with a strip of bacon and place 2 wrapped pieces in aluminum foil. Cook at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Serve hot with steamed wild rice, generously buttered.

BBQ Crow

Ingredients
10 crow breasts
BBQ sauce
2 onions
Tabasco sauce
Preparation
Place crow meat in a deep pan. Pour as much BBQ and Tabasco sauce as desired over the crow meat. Let marinate for at least 2 hours. Slice onions into thin slices and push out the centers to make rings. Place onions in skillet and place crow breasts over onions. The two flavors will combine while cooking. Put skillet on stove and cook until onions are brown and meat is tender. Serve crow over the onions.

Matthews Magic Stew

Ingredients
20-24 crow breast pieces (10-12 crows)
1 bag of celery
2 onions
2 pounds of baby carrots
2 cans of beef consume
1 cup flour
Preparation
Chop up celery and onions. In a crock pot, place two alternating layers of meat -onions -celery -and carrots. Pour both cans of consume into pot. Let cook for 6-10 hours. A half hour before you are ready to serve, remove about 5-6 cups of liquid and mix with 1 cup of flour for a thickener. Mix all contents (stew & thickener) well. Let stand for half an hour, season with salt & pepper to taste, and enjoy. This recipe works well with almost all game (and non-game) animals. Some that I have tried are Deer, Squirrel, Rabbit, Pigeon, Duck, Goose, Bear, and Beaver.

The
"So good you'll want to slap your mother-in-law"
Recipe
submitted by Jim Anderson

Ingredients
16 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) (8 crows)
16 pieces of jalapeno peppers (or banana peppers)
16 strips of bacon
1 1/2 cups of Teriyaki sauce
Preparation
Place breast meat in a covered bowl with the Teriyaki sauce over night.
Cook the breasts in boiling water for about five minutes. Cut up fresh
jalapeno peppers into circles (or use the store bought kind that come in
jars). Place one jalapeno pepper in the center of each breast and wrap with
bacon. Secure the bacon with a round toothpick. Cook on the grill until
bacon is crisp (not burned). Flip the breasts constantly to avoid the fat
catching on fire. Use banana peppers for people that don't like their food
quite so hot.
Serves four adults

Crow Bean Roast
submitted by Robert Cobb

Ingredients
6-8 Fresh Crow Breasts
1 - 2lb. Package of Red Beans (that's pinto beans for you northerners)
Cooking oil or Bacon grease
Baking soda
Chopped Onions
Chopped Bell Peppers
Garlic powder or garlic salt
Salt
Pepper
Preparation
Place a tablespoon of Cooking Oil or Bacon Grease in a crock pot, add a tablespoon of Baking Soda, pour the beans in and fill the crock pot 1/2 - 3/4 full of water and stir to mix the baking soda and oil. Add the Crow
Breasts and add the other ingredients (amounts determined by taste preference). Finish filling with water, turn crock pot to high setting and allow to cook for a minimum of 6 hours, adding water as needed. Serve hot, but be careful, this one will make ya wanna slap yo momma!!!
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I've eaten Zebra (mmm...), so I don't see horse as any different. Given the variety of edible (and not so edible) things I've put in my body over the years, horse seems like a delicacy.
Last edited by alnitak on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

years ago ...zoos and exotic animal parks would take donated dead equines for the big cats to eat.
I dont know if they still would... the circle of life is not PC for folks.

I would leave my recently killed horse out Mother Nature to serve... but I have to bury him. We are just a little too close to neighbors.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hillbilly wrote:years ago ...zoos and exotic animal parks would take donated dead equines for the big cats to eat.
I dont know if they still would... the circle of life is not PC for folks.

I would leave my recently killed horse out Mother Nature to serve... but I have to bury him. We are just a little too close to neighbors.
I think the Diatary Kitchen/Cat House here at the Michigan City Zoo accepts donations with a good post-mortem.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

A number of years ago, during the "beef shortage" and fear caused by "mad cow disease" there was a retail store here in town that sold horse. It was called "Nxx's Equine Meats", and had a thriving business, particularly among Asians. I wonder what we ate when we had Chinese? Of course, we have always had concerns about their "mystery meats". anyway. :lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mike D. wrote:A number of years ago, during the "beef shortage" and fear caused by "mad cow disease" there was a retail store here in town that sold horse. It was called "Nxx's Equine Meats", and had a thriving business, particularly among Asians. I wonder what we ate when we had Chinese? Of course, we have always had concerns about their "mystery meats". anyway. :lol:
http://www.kanyak.com/ckettle.html

Did you ever think, when you eat Chinese
It ain’t pork or chicken but a fat siamese?
Yet the food tastes great, so you don’t complain.
But that’s not chicken in your chicken chow mein.
Seems to me I ordered sweet-and-sour pork
But Garfield’s on my fork.
He’s purrin’ here on my fork.

There’s a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon
The place that I eat every day at noon.
They can feed you cat and you’ll never know
Once they wrap it up in dough, boys:
They fry it real crisp in dough.

Chou Lin asked if I wanted more
As he was dialin’ up his buddy at the old pet store.
I said "Not today. I lost my appetite.
"There’s two cats in my belly and they want to fight."
I was suckin’ on a Rolaid and a Tums or two
When I swear I heard it mew, boys:
And that is when I knew...

There’s a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon
I think I gotta stop eatin’ there at noon.
They say that it’s beef or fish or pork
But it’s purrin’ there on my fork.
There’s a hair-ball on my fork.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Feel free to subscribe to your beliefs as you will... allow my to follow mine. Here's a treatise on the subject that pretty well matches my feelings: http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/c ... lean.shtml

And like the sum total of all Bibles in print, they were translated from the original text by men, obviously with good intent; but possibly with less than good results.

I'm reminded of the joke regarding the young monk when asking the Abbott about a specific line of text he was copying... and the Abbott sent him to the catacombs to review the original text and allay his questions... some hours later there came a clamoring and wailing, then laughter and maniacal screaming... in words echoing from the depths of the Abbey... "it says Celebrate!!!!!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Back in the 1980's before AZ became civilized, up in Camp Verde they would have Cockfighting derbies, one club there would have a big barbeque and dance afterwards, the barbeque was Wild Burro cooked in the ground, I never found it offensive.

good luck
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

When I was kid living in Park County, Wyoming we knew many Shoshoni families who ate horsemeat. My friend's grandmother fixed a delicious roast for supper one evening. Later I found out it was horse. So it goes.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!