My Forbiden Island Hunt Hawaii

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

My Forbiden Island Hunt Hawaii

Post by Les Staley »

Got to hunt Niihau Island last Tuesday. Was met by the Helicopter that appeared in Jurasic Park seven AM at airfield Port Allen, Kauai.. 20 minute flight to the island, met by my guide and skinner in a meadow suitable for landing, jumped into a 1945 deuce-and-a-half with no brakes and off we went.. hiked out for a couple of short hikes, looked over some Morino sheep, a couple of rams, but guide said "too small".. finaly about nine AM skinner spotted a good ram bedded beneath a tree, back in the forest about 60 yds.. a short stalk back down the trail and guide said " shoot this one".. Puma 44 mag did the number.. Hogs next.. wound up with a smallish boar, but had a chance at a couple of bigger ones,, couldn't hit 'em on the run.. Ganjiro has agreed to post some pictures.. my wife is still loading them on the computer..
Flew from Lihue on Kauai down to Hololulu the next morning and went to the Arizona Memorial, and Ford Island.. saw the Zero that crash landed on Niihau Dec 7, 1941.. not much left, but it has been out in the weather until 2006..
Was able to meet Ganjiro and his wife, and we had a nice visit over dinner before we flew out the mainland.. Over-all, a very nice vacation.. Les
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Wow sounds like a fun vacation :D !I can't wait to see the pictures.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jaguarundi wrote:Wow sounds like a fun vacation :D !I can't wait to see the pictures.
+1 :D Pictures!!!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Jaguarundi wrote:Wow sounds like a fun vacation :D !I can't wait to see the pictures.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tycer wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
Think this makes it +3! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:
Tycer wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
Think this makes it +3! :lol:
+1 on the story and +1 on the pic's!
Old Law Dawg
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Years ago, this island was forbidden to non-natives because its population had not been vaccinated for common diseases. At one time, King Kamehameha High School in Honolulu was the only school for them to attend.

I heard that this island is not (officially)part of Hawaii and is privately owned by Robinson Family.

Did you have to produce shot records for the hunt?

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Shots?

Post by Les Staley »

No shots required...The Robinson family still owns the island.. I did quite a bit of research on Google, came up with lots of interesting stuff.. you must have an invitation from the family to visit the island, but you can pay for a hunt there thru Niihau Safaris, or tour an abandon beach thru the same source.. for a price.. I thought it was well worth the price of the hunt. At one time you could hunt without a Hawaii hunting license, but now if you take a trophy from the island they require one, to keep from violateing the Lacey Act. $105 do your homework... you have to obtain an exemption letter for hunter's safety from State of Hawaii.. before you can buy license.. also your rifle must be registered with SOH.. police dept.. I'd go again in a heartbeat!! Les