348 and Trail Boss

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

348 and Trail Boss

Post by elmo123 »

Has anyone here used Trail Boss with cast bullets in the 348 Winchester?

Thanks, Mike
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: 348 and Trail Boss

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
In spite of what others have said, I never cared for Trail Boss....could be because I had a few bad experiences with it in an 1886 in 45-70......wild extreme spreads...but...that could be due to inexperience with the powder.

I shoot several thousand rounds a year in the 348.....it gets fed 22 grains of 5744 with a gas checked NEI 215 grain cast for 1600 fps. The Model 71 is my main competition silhouette rifle.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just for the heck of it I googled 'trail boss powder in 348 winchester' cast boolits forum has a thread. Long story short, it didn't work too well... More research on your part is in order!
I haven't tried TB. I've heard good and bad about it. I'm sure others here have and you will get both sides of the story.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
snkbittin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by snkbittin »

Sixgun wrote:Mike,
In spite of what others have said, I never cared for Trail Boss....could be because I had a few bad experiences with it in an 1886 in 45-70......wild extreme spreads...but...that could be due to inexperience with the powder.

I shoot several thousand rounds a year in the 348.....it gets fed 22 grains of 5744 with a gas checked NEI 215 grain cast for 1600 fps. The Model 71 is my main competition silhouette rifle.---6
Well you just answered my question about .348! Thanks Sixgun
Fords..Shelbys..John Deeres..Winchesters..Colt..S&W and O scale RR’er
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Now if you want a really pleasant and accurate light load with a jacketed bullet in that 348 -- well that is what TrailBoss would be good for. Cast? I'd be thinking 5744 like Sixgun uses, or maybe 4759 if you have a stash of that, or RL-7 or 10x or 4895 or or...
Lots of good possibilities depending on the velocity level you want to run.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry