Hard Cast Bullets - video

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Hard Cast Bullets - video

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/HHbWL83fJAw

Pretty good demonstration of capabilities.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hard Cast Bullets - video

Post by w30wcf »

Interesting video. Yep, hard cast (likely heat treated) will penetrate a bunch. The big flat nose keeps the bullet going straight. Years ago I tested some heat treated cast 200 gr. flat nose bullets in the .30-30.

Barrel exit was 2070 f.p.s. and penetration in wet newsprint at 50 yards was over 3 feet. :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pretty good and well spoken dude. It was all pretty much old news to guys who have done this for years like the famous w30wcf. :D People who grew up reading Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton latched onto their thinking early on and have continued, mostly for costs and being able to tailor make. In my little carry gun, a Smith 642 .38 Spl., I load it with 170 gr. Keith semi wadcutters.

I've been in a casting mode for the last two weeks churning out 4500 with another 6-8,000 to go. It's work!!!! I like to accomplish around 1,000 to 2,000 a day depending on cavities of the moulds and alloy needed......then they sit in bins until needed and each one needs to be sized and lubricated. ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Sixgun wrote:......then they sit in bins until needed and each one needs to be sized and lubricated. ----6
And ain't that just a grand feeling! I love having just as many bullets cast up as I want. They last forever that way. Size 'em when you're ready and it don't matter at all what those idiots in DC are doing!

Cat
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Catshooter wrote:
Sixgun wrote:......then they sit in bins until needed and each one needs to be sized and lubricated. ----6
And ain't that just a grand feeling! I love having just as many bullets cast up as I want. They last forever that way. Size 'em when you're ready and it don't matter at all what those idiots in DC are doing!
Cat
Dang Cat......i Hear there's an old saying,...."Great minds think alike" :D ------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD