200 gr SWC .45.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

200 gr SWC .45.

Post by Old Savage »

2ndovc and his new Gold Cup prompted me to dig into the desk for some targets from over 25 years ago. Looking them over I discovered that this bullet style from Lane shot very well in a few guns at a bit over 800 fps. Here are a some targets. Looking at reloading records I see that the same load in a S&W 25-5 produced a 5 shot 1 1/2" group at 25 yds. So the load worked very well in a Springfield 1911, a Colt 7 1/2" New Frontier and a S&W 25-5. Oviously it is a mild load, pleasant to shoot. I used Red Dot, Bullseye and Unique. 452, and WSL also worked well I am seeing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: 200 gr SWC .45.

Post by claybob86 »

You're very modest by giving the bullets all of the credit! :)

Nice shooting!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Long time ago Clay, better eyes, did a lot of shooting back then.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My son challenged me to a shoot:
25 yards, off hand, my target on the right... first one to cut the rope!

All those other shots around the 5 or so shots it took me, are his .40S&W. Just couldn't stick to his own target!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You hit more organs, you win :-)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:You hit more organs, you win :-)
I thing that was his response also! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Originally I had two Colt Series 70 1911s but sold them because this Springfield was more accurate. It has sbout 5,000 rds through it. It originally had military type sights which I later updated to these improved ones.

Here is a 50 yd target done with the Model 24 and a similar load. That gun has about 6,000 rds through it.

Spent a lot of time and effort on this at one time and have not thought about all the loading variations for years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'd say that is some fine shootin' for a youngster like yourself. That very first "one hole group" really impressed me...YOU da man Fred!

I too, like the 200 SWC more than any other 45 caliber bullet for casual plinking. I use the Lyman sized to .452. My favorite powder is 231 for the auto or AR case.

I like those pictures that Griff posted. Did ya notice how he purposely left out what was hanging from the end of the rope. Good 'ole redneck! :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Sixer, on that one hole group. :-) I had the good sense not to take another shot.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Fred,
Who says we can't have fun here?

BTW...send me your Model 24.....I need another to have an even number of 4----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

One of the things I did with the 24 was load 2400 at one grain intervals from 11.0 to 17.0 grs. with a stop at 12.5 grains which turned out to be the most accurate.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Very satisfying when ya gets 'em dialed in. :D
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice shootin' Guys! Wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of any of those! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I've been told that the H&G 68 is the winningest bullet in the 45, using BE, 231, Red Dot, and 700X. -Brian
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Red dot is the only one I have tried in the 45 200 combo.

JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

My story was always
i shot a bit high on the first shot
a bit low on the second shot
and missed on the third.

you will always regret taking another shot after a great first shot. that's been my experience any ways.

went to a friends range he called and said he had some guys there that wanted to see some ruger mk pistols . so i pack up 3 and head over. open up my case pull out the first pistol empty with no mag but the bolts wont stay open on that model. he jumps back and starts flapping his mouth about watch were i'm pointing the barrel ,and i was . MADE me look like a *** in front of about 10 guys i have never seen before. so as i walk over to the line to shoot a BIG WHITE MOTH flys up out of the grass at about 75 yards. I pull up my mk2 with a 2x scope and let 1 fly quick as i could.The moth takes a spin and i say pelosi took of his balls shoot again and puff its gone.
I pop out the mag clear the chamber go over put it in the case get in my truck and left.never said a word just left.
I never let him live that down,lucky another good friend was there to see it and verify the story every time i tell it.
i say there is no moths at jacks house cose i killed the alpha male off years ago.

the dick upset me off so bad that day i wanted to shoot him and took it out on the moth. :lol: :lol:
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/