ROUGH C.U.P. to PSI Conversion for Handloaders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

ROUGH C.U.P. to PSI Conversion for Handloaders

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks to GunnyMack, we are reminded of a way to develop a ROUGH estimate for converting C.U.P. (Copper Crusher) pressure listings to the more modern PSI (piezoelectronic) figures.

Handloading guides by Lee and Lyman, to this date, use predominantly C.U.P. data, which has not been of much use for working up loads with QuickLoad Ballistic Calculator software.

Here is the link that GunnyMack supplied via an online link to "NFG's" offering at MarlinOwners.com:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloa ... rmula.html

WARNING! Rough Estimates, Only!

PSI TO CUP
(PSI + 17902)/1.516

CUP TO PSI
-17902+(1.516XCUP)

Math Operation Order:
My Dear Aunt Sally – M D A S
Multiply, Divide THEN Add and Subrtact

Here is one listing from AmmoGuide that had a C.U.P. pressure rating. It was ran through QuickLoad using the same data. As per the warning, at least it gives you a ballpark figure to work with.

CARTRIDGE AND LOAD:
Sierra 170 gr. FP .30-30, H4198 22.5 gr., COAL 2.250" in a 24" barrel

AmmoGuide listing
1918 fps, 32,600 C.U.P. (= 31,520 PSI in conversion formula)

QuickLoad estimate
1981 fps, 31,749 PSI

My Excel application:

We need to be mindful, again, that:
* The conversion formula is an estimate
* QuickLoad data is all an estimate

A simple, bare bones Excel file (offered below) can be altered if you remove the "Protection" on it. It is not locked with a password. The cells are protected so that you only enter data in one of two cells so that the calculation will work.

If you use Excel and want this very simple tool, you can download either version through the following links:

PSI and CUP Converter.xls
(Excel 97-2003)
https://app.box.com/s/pneg62bse31bmh2jz8kaswitho8nmc8f

PSI and CUP Converter.xlsx
(Later versions Excel)
https://app.box.com/s/6tg49h0n6jttcfv3m9dei0dm45y6kpzx

Now the Lyman data, and that of others like Lee's handload book, will be much more useful for me.

Thanks again, GunnyMack.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ROUGH C.U.P. to PSI Conversion for Handloaders

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There are a few loads with a few powders that defy logic and those are the ones to watch out for.
An example is Tite Group powder in the 9mm or .357 where just one grain more powder or a slight change in seating depth can DOUBLE chamber pressure. Care must be taken when data is not available
For the exact load used.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you, Chuck.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

For some reason, Blue Dot is ok for .44 mag, and .357 mag, but not for .41 mag....At least so I've seem more than once, or twice...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

BlaineG wrote:For some reason, Blue Dot is ok for .44 mag, and .357 mag, but not for .41 mag....At least so I've seem more than once, or twice...
"Wholesalers carrying the Blue Dot powder brand from Alliant Powder should inform their retail customers of important safety information. ATK's Commercial Products Division has announced that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot should not be used in the .357 Magnum load when using 125-grain bullets (loads utilizing heavier bullets are acceptable for use with the powder).

Blue Dot powder should not be used with any loadings in the .41 Magnum cartridge.

Use of Blue Dot powder in either of the above mentioned applications could result in a dangerously highpressure situation, the company announced."

I have the PDF saved and can put it online for your to download to show the source, if you like.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

JohnDe- happy to be of service! I found that with a quick google search before I left this morning to pheasant hunt. I got 1, my dog, Claro got 1. She saves me ammo!

I have older loading manuals that show Blue Dot for 41 mag. I'm thinking there was an old formulation of Blue Dot and WAS safe. And they changed it enough that it is no longer safe. Doesn't bother me, my Henry 41 really likes Lil'Gun!

How are the 270 loads working?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

JohndeFresno wrote:
BlaineG wrote:For some reason, Blue Dot is ok for .44 mag, and .357 mag, but not for .41 mag....At least so I've seem more than once, or twice...
"Wholesalers carrying the Blue Dot powder brand from Alliant Powder should inform their retail customers of important safety information. ATK's Commercial Products Division has announced that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot should not be used in the .357 Magnum load when using 125-grain bullets (loads utilizing heavier bullets are acceptable for use with the powder).

Blue Dot powder should not be used with any loadings in the .41 Magnum cartridge.

Use of Blue Dot powder in either of the above mentioned applications could result in a dangerously highpressure situation, the company announced."

I have the PDF saved and can put it online for your to download to show the source, if you like.
I need to dig through my notes but I thought PACO used Blue Dot in some of his 41 Mag loads? Years ago I was loading for my 401 Powermag using Blue Dot with no problem.

Mainehunter
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The 125gr blurb in .357 didn't apply to me...I was, and will be using 160s, and 180s..... I plink with .22 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you, Harry. Saved to my archives. Very useful.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JohndeFresno wrote:

No offense to those who love Blue Dot, but a powder that touchy isn't one I'm going to ever use..... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I used Blue Dot in the Ruger old model 41 mag in the '70s with 210 grain home cast semi-wad cutters without any incidents. Max loads from reloading manual.

hayabusa
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GunnyMack wrote:JohnDe- happy to be of service!...
How are the 270 loads working?
I'll let you know, Gunny... Tied up at home these last 2-3 months with some 'mergencies. But I'm eager to use them great little babies that you sold me as soon as I can get out to the range!