460 grain starting load

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

460 grain starting load

Post by wvfarrier »

I'm looking for a starting load for the cast performance 460 grain hard cast GC in 45-70. I've seen a load for benchmark but am running low on it. So whatcha ya'll using?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 460 grain starting load

Post by Blaine »

wvfarrier wrote:I'm looking for a starting load for the cast performance 460 grain hard cast GC in 45-70. I've seen a load for benchmark but am running low on it. So whatcha ya'll using?
Honestly? Cast Performance might be the place to shoot an email for that....they are usually very helpful....I've loaded different 45-70 loads, but if I were "winging" it, I'd start with a light, 30-34ish grain load of H4187/3031/RL7/H322, CHRONY IT, observe, and slowly work your way to maybe 1500fps.....If you can find a published load, start appox 10% light, and do the same.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Find a copy of Lyman's 4th Ed. Cast Bullet Handbook... you'll be answering questions, not askin' 'em! :P :lol: I don't have my copy w/me.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

misplaced my notebook again, but if I find it in time I'll post a load for that bullet that worked very well in my guide gun.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

wvfarrier wrote:I'm looking for a starting load for the cast performance 460 grain hard cast GC in 45-70. I've seen a load for benchmark but am running low on it. So whatcha ya'll using?
My only note says 39gr Re7. that was safe in my particular arm and blah blah blah...

That was in '04. don't know which primer. I 'think' I shot 50 rounds with that load. No chrono info. Easy on the brass. Easy on the shoulder. And accurate out of my guide gun. I think the weight is about perfect for 45/70, even though all my ammo is 525gr now.

I quit shooting the cast performance because it had a rounded ogive, and my particular guide gun took exception to it. When I started loading Marshall's truncated cone bullets I switched to them exclusively. So far.

I also switched to H322 because I like the way it handles better than Re7, but that's just a me thing.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

From Lyman 46th 420 grain cast.

38.5 3031
40 RL7
11 Unique

My heavy load is 47.5 RL7 under the LBT 459-450 LFN which drops at 460 grains in my 1886. Not fun at all to shoot from the bench. It will move through more than 4' of laundry jugs of water.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

I use that exact bullet in my H&R Handi-Rifle. I've been very pleased with the accuracy, though I haven't had the chance to shoot anything but paper with it yet.

I use Accurate 5744. The Accurate load manual is here: http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/ They have data for that bullet, it's listed as "460 CP". They give three loading levels: Trap Door (less than 18K PSI), standard rifle (less than 28K PSI), and Ruger No. 1 (less than 40K PSI). I'm using loads around the top end of the Trap Door or beginning standard rifle. I haven't had a chance to chrono them yet, but velocities are listed around 1250 to 1300 fps, which is about all I want to deal with on a regular basis out of a six pound rifle.

Good luck!

Hawkins
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a BRP 462-465GC mold for awhile . I only used H322 with the bullet . But if I still had it and was shooting it in the 45-70 I might use IMR8208 or X-Terminator as well ,
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !