OT-Looks like I'll be changing jobs soon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-Looks like I'll be changing jobs soon

Post by Jason_W »

I've been offered a job teaching 9th and 10th grade English at an alternative private high school. I'll also be conducting some extra cirricular activities, teaching kids how to fish and other such outdoor stuff. It's a bit of a hit to the salary, but still doable if I stick to a tight budget.

The catch is that they offered me the job yesterday and want me to start in less than 3 weeks. I need to figure out how to find new housing, move, and prepare lessons in a very short period of time.

I'm just waiting on the formal offer letter before I tender my resignation at my present job.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Wow - it sounds like things are coming together for you. I always thought teaching would be a great job and has always been in the back of my mind. There's not much to do with a BA degree in English and Literature and MA in Criminology. Good luck to you - and let us know if there is anything we can do to help you along. BTW - what does the fiance' think of this?
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Get a big stick to take with you :D
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

86er wrote:Wow - it sounds like things are coming together for you. I always thought teaching would be a great job and has always been in the back of my mind. There's not much to do with a BA degree in English and Literature and MA in Criminology. Good luck to you - and let us know if there is anything we can do to help you along. BTW - what does the fiance' think of this?
The fiance got a job at the same school.

It's kind of an iteresting place that needs to teach life skills as much as academics. My fiance will be running the school's art gallery in an effort to teach the students the basics of running a business, how to have a job, etc. Her retail and managerial experience made her a shoe in.

The kids that go to this school are very smart, but lack discipline and common sense. Some of them don't even understand how to turn a profit off of something they make and wish to sell.

Right now, I'm trying to find some good resources pertaining to basic literary theory. The students I'll be teaching are a bit behind academically and often have know knowledge of such basics as plot dynamics or such literary devices as irony and metaphor.

It will be challenging, but the kind of challenge that is also interesting.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

That sounds like a great job. Go fot it. Best wishes to you and your fiance.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

If I can figure out how to afford it along with life, I'm probably going to go back to school for my Master's degree within the year. One of those opens a lot of doors if you choose education as a career path.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Maybe this is why the house buy went south . . .

Things happen for a reason. Best of luck!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Noah Zark wrote:Maybe this is why the house buy went south . . .

Things happen for a reason. Best of luck!

Noah
We were thinking the same thing. There are some very affordable houses for sale in the new area. Rent is still very high for some reason, though.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Good luck to you!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

That's great!

As they say, do what you love, and the money will follow. Please, don't make the same mistakes I did (i.e. chasing a dollar like a dog chasing its tail). As time goes on, change becomes harder and harder.

Best of luck.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's great!!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats and, good luck!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

good luck - my wife is a teacher, as well as my 2 sisters...
think of it as a new adventure...
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I don't know. A job that forces you to fish and such may be too rough :)
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Sounds Great! Sometimes the paycheck isnt the only measure of a mans job. Glad to see your working the hunting and fishing in there as well. Unfortunately alot of kids dont have the luxury of having a positive male influence!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

good luck
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My wife is a teacher, so were some aunts, great grandfathers, and so forth. Great profession in my book. AND you get the opportunity to make a difference!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I taught and coached for 31 years and it is very rewarding, not money wise but spiritually. Teaching in an alternative school is a great challenge. This is these kids last hope school wise. Outdoor activities are sometimes the way to get them going in the right direction. Good luck, I hope you all the best.
"That'll Be The Day"
D.A.C.
Levergunner

Post by D.A.C. »

Good luck. I've been teaching 9th and 8th grade English for 6 years. It has its ups and downs, and running on one income while the wife stays home with the kids is so taxing, that I've had to get a second night job to make ends meet (and we don't buy any extras). I understand the "alternative" school concept well, and it will be a challenge. Lots of our students end up in alternative school, mainly for discipline or age/retention. Again, good luck, its the toughest yet most rewarding job you could probably get.