Quick Range Trip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Quick Range Trip

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just returned from the range . Took the DPMS AR-10 308 and resighted it in with my Honrady 150 SST handloads . Gun shot well at 25 , 50 and 100 yards .
Sighted in my CZ 550FS 6.5x55 with handloaded Nosler 140 BT's using my old Vari XIII 3.5-10AO . Have it 1" high at 100 .
I also carried along my Stag Arms Model 7 6.8 SPC and tried it at 100 yards for fun . When I initially took the 6.8 and 308 AR's to the range I sighted them in at 50 yards and was done with it . Today I went on out to 100 got them where I wanted and then tried them at 25 and 50 for reference .

It appears I've got a Bushmaster AR-15 complete lower heading my way . So if this deal goes thru I'll take the Bushmaster lower and put my 450 Bushmaster on top . And I'll either liquidate my NIB Rock River lower or put a D-Tech 6.5 DTI upper on it !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Quick Range Trip

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sounded like a great morning and shooting. Can't wait to spend next 3 days shooting up north.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Have slowly been reloading a bunch of military brass for use in my Armalite AR10. Picked up Winchester 150 FMJs to load. Finally settled on CFE223. Holds 5 shots under an inch @100.

My 450 amazes me at how accurate that round is. Have tried IMR4227,Lil Gun, 5744, H110 and all shoot very close to the same point of impact and group size.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote:Have slowly been reloading a bunch of military brass for use in my Armalite AR10. Picked up Winchester 150 FMJs to load. Finally settled on CFE223. Holds 5 shots under an inch @100.

My 450 amazes me at how accurate that round is. Have tried IMR4227,Lil Gun, 5744, H110 and all shoot very close to the same point of impact and group size.
I got a couple pounds of CFE223 yesterday not for my 308 but rather to try in the 6.8 and the 6.5 Grendel I just ordered . I actually bought eight different powders yesterday two pounds of all but Benchmark . Got some Lil Gun to try in the 450 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I went to the range again today . Played with the 450 Bushmaster a bit and fiddled with my Knight 50 cal Disc Rifle and have it pretty well prepared for the ML opener November 5th .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I tried Benchmark in 308 and 223, was not all that pleased with it.
I found IMR 4895 was great in 223, yeah it's a pain in powder thrower but very accurate in my gun.
CFE 223 was good too. Varget was poor results, just as soon pour it out and throw a match to it then developed loads for my other guns!

I found CFE in my 308 makes 1 hole groups, but I had to. Watch my pressures in military brass. I NEED to chronograph that load!
I like the Grendal, but the Creedmore even better! Might re barrel a model 70( post 64) in Creedmore after next month...or maybe 6.5x.284... Decisions decisions!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote:I tried Benchmark in 308 and 223, was not all that pleased with it.
I found IMR 4895 was great in 223, yeah it's a pain in powder thrower but very accurate in my gun.
CFE 223 was good too. Varget was poor results, just as soon pour it out and throw a match to it then developed loads for my other guns!

I found CFE in my 308 makes 1 hole groups, but I had to. Watch my pressures in military brass. I NEED to chronograph that load!
I like the Grendal, but the Creedmore even better! Might re barrel a model 70( post 64) in Creedmore after next month...or maybe 6.5x.284... Decisions decisions!
I suspect my powder inventory at the moment far exceeds what the powers that be would like to hear three or four times over . Think I have something like 6 or 7 pounds of US-869 for the 26 Nosler , 12-14 pounds of IMR 4350 , 6 or so pounds of IMR 4831 , perhaps 18 pounds of RL-22 , maybe 14 pounds of H322 , 8 pounds of IMR 8208 and I won't even mention what I have for shotguns .

With the exception of shot I can keep my rifles and to a certain degree shotguns going for a good long while .

I think the only thing I bought Tuesday I'd never used before was the CFE223 and Lil Gun . All the others were to replenish . I will say I wanted some Ramshot X-Terminator but they failed to have any of that . And VV N-120 and N-130 they didn't have luckily I have a pound or two of those three . But I still woulda liked to lay in a pound or two extra of each .

The Creedmoor while I wouldn't mind having one I'll just stick with my tried and true 260 REM , As to the 6.5-284 again I wouldn't mind trying one but I'll stick with my 6.5-06 .

Looks like my 6.5mm arsenal is comprised of an AR in 6.5 Grendel , 260 REM bolt gun , 6.5x55 bolt gun , 6.5-06 bolt action and my 26 Nosler bolt action . I'd like to add an AR-10 in 260 or 6.5 CM at some point .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

6pt- you are better stocked then I am!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:D Let's see... you spent the day at the range... yet you haven't submitted a target in the October Competition... whazzup with that??? :P :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote::D Let's see... you spent the day at the range... yet you haven't submitted a target in the October Competition... whazzup with that??? :P :D
Well I suppose you'll just have to DO WITHOUT :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote:6pt- you are better stocked then I am!
Make no bones about it I usually always have more powder then I think I'll need . But with the state of affairs I am assuming if the election heads south , if I already have it on hand I do not need to worry about getting it after the fact !

I had several British blokes on a mainly Brit forum give me stuff about us hoarding the stuff and it not leaving any to import to them . While I feel for them , the way things seem to be heading now one needs to look out for themself first and foremost .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Amen to that brother!!

I have been stocking for years, but I've been loading it as I go.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!