A new bullet design

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

A new bullet design

Post by Rusty »

Anybody heard of these? Woodleigh Hydrostaticly Stabilized Bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN9y6YvTUYk

They start talking about them just after the 4 minute mark on the video.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: A new bullet design

Post by Old Ironsights »

How about Cubes?

They seem to work OK...

Join the Collective... Borg Cubes are the Answer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFhqyvCTA1I
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Wow - very interesting! No T-Rex in my neighborhood, but quite a concept. Thanks, Rusty.

As for the Star Trek shotgun round, entertaining - thanks, Ironsights!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ok, I have no personal knowledge, but it seems Vince Lupo, and Randy Garrett solved this problem a long time ago in 45-70. Garrett's best .44 mag Hammerheads seem to be able to travel the length of a grizz.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

BlaineG wrote:Ok, I have no personal knowledge, but it seems Vince Lupo, and Randy Garrett solved this problem a long time ago in 45-70. Garrett's best .44 mag Hammerheads seem to be able to travel the length of a grizz.
True, but there not lead free
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Take a close look -
These new bullets are scooped on the shoulder, and dished on the meplat, which apparently creates a pressure wave around the projectile for that larger wound channel.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:Ok, I have no personal knowledge, but it seems Vince Lupo, and Randy Garrett solved this problem a long time ago in 45-70. Garrett's best .44 mag Hammerheads seem to be able to travel the length of a grizz.
actually Blaine, you witnessed this:

if you've seen the video of the 525gr piledriver penetrating a dozen one gallon jugs of water, you could see the plank levitate off of the supports due to the hydrostatic shock, and the bullet drilled straight thru the jugs without deflection. we take this to indicate that the bullet is hydrostatically stabilized, and the shock value to the flesh is ginormous.

in the video at 11m42s is the EXACT SAME explanation of the LBT or truncatec cone performance. same gas envelope and same "stabilized" bullet path v.s. round nose bullets.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:
actually Blaine, you witnessed this:

if you've seen the video of the 525gr piledriver penetrating a dozen one gallon jugs of water, you could see the plank levitate off of the supports due to the hydrostatic shock, and the bullet drilled straight thru the jugs without deflection. we take this to indicate that the bullet is hydrostatically stabilized, and the shock value to the flesh is ginormous.

in the video at 11m42s is the EXACT SAME explanation of the LBT or truncatec cone performance. same gas envelope and same "stabilized" bullet path v.s. round nose bullets.
That's a fact, Mr. Grizz.....It's been awhile, but my BFR (boy, was I stupid to trade that one off) was not uncomfortable shooting that load.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JohndeFresno wrote:Take a close look -
These new bullets are scooped on the shoulder, and dished on the meplat, which apparently creates a pressure wave around the projectile for that larger wound channel.
there are a bunch of images showing the same effect with truncated cone flat nose designs, with some applications to torpedos. I don't have current links, but probably ten or so years ago there was lots of talk talk about this and lots of pictures. including, I might be remembering, images of a russian projectile of some sort with the same idea of a 'vaccuum envelope' that reduces resistance, and increases the tendency of the projectile to go straight.

If I had a lathe, I have a hammer but not the skill set to make perfect cylinders with it, I would turn some brass with Marshall's nose profile and do the gel test. My guess is exactly the same results, or better, as the scooped shoulder-dish combo.

I might also suddenly be remembering a S.Africa concern doing this exact thing with brass or copper. Anyone recollect this?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

JohndeFresno wrote:Take a close look -

Chris Massaro was a guest on the reloading podcast recently and he talked about these. He said he took a body shot on an elephant that went 16 yards before it dropped. The round totally scrambled the insides and passed on thru. All the way, in and out.

Oh, the round he used was a .404 Jeffery.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

All them designed are based on utilizing cavitation to create a 'bubble' around the projectile when passing through fluids. In the 1920's the navies of US, GB, Japan all experimented with flat nose bullets having large meplats to produce cavitation with the intend of using them to penetrate below waterline armor of warships. More recently the US and others have used flat tipped bullets in small cannon to permit the detonation of submerged naval mines. Not only does the cavitation reduce drag it reduces yawing as the project travels through a fluid. It also turns out that flat tips enhance above water penetration of armor plate where the plate is <150% of projectile diameter. AS far back as the 1880's it was known that blunt/flat AP shot was less subject to deflection and ricocheting.

There is nothing, well little, new under the sun.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for that info. Pretty much how I recalled it too. Old school is cool and old old school is more cooler.

8)