Building a 'set' of "45's"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Building a 'set' of "45's"

Post by AJMD429 »

Been trying to 'downsize' to fewer, but better, firearms. Also consolidating chamberings when able.

So I figured I'd start with 45 caliber.....does most anything a 44 Mag will do, right...??

I'm really fond of my Para Ordnance 1911 double-stack 45 ACP, and my Mech-Tech 'upper' that fits 1911 pistols (with my Rock Island 1911 double-stack pistol frame attached, it yields 20-rounds of 45 ACP in a short carbine with a magazine only about 2" longer than the 1911 grip). So the ACP is covered for CCW and home protection roles.

For deer hunting, it is hard to beat a 45 Colt levergun, and I particularly like my Marlin 1894 (20" round barrel). A few years back I got a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk convertible 45 Colt/ACP to go with it, but right after that Ruger came out with their Redhawk 45 Colt/ACP and I started saving for one. Theoretically it could be THE do-all firearm if push came to shove, serving for CCW as well as reasonably for the other roles.

It arrived today....! :mrgreen:

No pictures yet, but it looks just like the one Jeff Quinn tested.... http://gunblast.com/Ruger-RH45ACP.htm

We shot 45 Colt Silvertips and some Remington 'cowboy loads' and ACP ball ammo, and all went well. I missed the 6" gong at 25 yards and was blaming the ACP ammo, but a friend who is just learning to shoot left-handed after a stroke put nine of her twelve shots on it, so I guess I just need more practice... :oops:

Definitely a nice revolver...!

I'm not sure why the ejector stars are recessed into the cylinder with an 'oval' recess versus a circular one. You can see the lines on this photo off GunBlast), but mine is identical.

Higher resolution link - http://gunblast.com/images/Ruger-RH45ACP/DSC04775.jpg

The star-tip to the right of the mis-chambered round has the star top flush with the moon-clip recess, whereas the chamber to the left of it shows how the two adjacent star-tip are cut at angles and don't extend fully to the moon-clip recess; the opposite chamber is the same. Works fine, but not sure why they went to the bother; makes me curious.

Anyway, between two 1911's, an 1894 Marlin, a Blackhawk, and this Redhawk, I can use two kinds of 45 cartridges that covers a lot of bases.

Now to do the same thing with 9mm/357 Mag....??? :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Building a 'set' of "45's"

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
Lookee here.....there are not many of us who truly want to "downsize". You and the rest of us buy these kind of guns just so we can have a different gun using the excuse to others...."I'm downsizing" when in reality we are "upsizing". Nothing wrong with that...don't feel guilty......guilt is a man made emotion.

Ruger engineers have their reasoning for doing what they do. That is one company who really builds a "meat and potatoes" gun. Like the American Indian said, "when the world perishes, only the coyote and the cockroach will be left.", when Hillary does her business, only the Ruger will be left.

Nice piece and interesting concept on the double action dual caliber 45. Other than the 1911, a few Colt SAA's, and the Thompson I once owned I was never partial to the 45 caliber. For me it's always been the 44 Spl. and it's bigger brother, mostly because the tolerances have been closer between guns and makers and the little bit of extra bit of steel around the cylinder. Guess I read too much Elmer Keith when I was young.

Anyway, just keep on buying as it sure makes you feel better than paying insurance and real estate taxes.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As usual, Six's take is spot on... and off at the same time! :P Your logic is flawless Doc, except, that you do NEED a SA type sixgun. Look for a Seville, they'll handle Ruger type loads with room to spare, they're rarer than hen's teeth, and are the true mark of a .45 aficionado!

Those .44 calibers are really the poor man's .45, showing a lack of imagination and discerning thought for oneself, only employing the thinking of others!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I waited for more than 30 years for this model Redhawk to be built. got Mine a year ago. Ruger has holders for the loaded full moon clips that fit over a belt or other strap. I ordered a shoulder holster for Mine. if I could only keep 1 it would be the Redhawk. http://nelsonleather.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=215
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That's hilarious Griff

show me a 45 Colt load tossing a 405gr bullet at 1000+/- fps with a TKO of 24.9 and I'll take a look.

if I need more I can bump to 1100 fps for a TKO of 29.9.

As to TKO I'd be interested to see the comparison 45 Colt loads.

I don't do "cowboy" loads, but 44 200gr jhp works a treat for homeland security.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OK Griff...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :D :D :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I grabbed up one of the first available Redhawk .45 convertibles when they came out. I love the round butt grip and the barrel length. Mine shoots .45 Colt very nice but with .45 ACP it is a little more particular as to what loads work well. A little experimenting with loads should find you a combination that works good.
All in all, I am very happy with mine. I wish the moon clips were less expensive. I bought an extra dozen for mine. They are not interchangeable with any other moon clip available.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Stupid question, but will a .45 Auto Rim fit in there?
I keep looking at those thinking I should have one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

Those .44 calibers are really the poor man's .45, showing a lack of imagination and discerning thought for oneself, only employing the thinking of others![/quote]

Got both. 8)
But ouch that hurt... :shock:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

2ndovc wrote:Stupid question, but will a .45 Auto Rim fit in there?
I keep looking at those thinking I should have one.
No, they don't. Rims too thick, I think.
Chuck 100 yd wrote:I wish the moon clips were less expensive. I bought an extra dozen for mine. They are not interchangeable with any other moon clip available.
MidwayUSA has some generic ones that work. Harder to get cartridges in or out, but then they don't fall out if you drop them like they do from the Ruger brand moon clips.

Ruger sells these holsters for $38, and they are actually pretty nice (I ordered one sight unseen).

High and canted so conceals under a long untucked shirt or sweater.

http://shopruger.com/Redhawk-COWS-Belt- ... nfo/50009/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I tried to get rid of my 45 colt Blackhawk, but dang'ed if'n a 45acp cylinder didn't happen to show up for it!!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!