Judge Napolitano on 2nd Amendment (written after Orlando)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Judge Napolitano on 2nd Amendment (written after Orlando)

Post by Old No7 »

Moderators:
Please consider leaving this here in this forum where more Levergunners will see it.

Here is an excellent piece on the Second Amendment and the Right to Self-Defense by Judge Andrew Napolitano.

Click HERE for Link to: "Judge Napolitano: Why I will always defend the Second Amendment and the right to self-defense"

I didn't plan to add a lot of my own comments here, but these comments from the author deserve to be highlighted:

"The modern-day massacres are proof beyond a doubt that the government cannot protect us.

In the Orlando tragedy, the man who killed 49 and wounded 53 used a handgun and a rifle. The handgun accepted magazines containing 17 bullets, and the rifle accepted magazines containing 30 bullets. The killer, using both weapons, fired more than 250 times last Sunday morning. That means he reloaded his weapons about a dozen times. Each time he reloaded, he stopped shooting, as it is impossible for any person to shoot and reload simultaneously.

We know from forensics that the killer was a poor shot. We can deduce from that knowledge that he was a slow reloader. One learns to shoot first and reload later.

It is likely that it took between three and seven seconds each time he reloaded the handgun and longer with the rifle. In those time periods, any trained person carrying a handgun in that Orlando nightclub could have wounded or killed him -- and stopped the slaughter.

And then later, he writes:

"All these mass killings have the same ending: The killer stops only when he is killed. But that requires someone else with a gun to be there. Shouldn’t that be sooner rather than later?"

Pass it on!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Judge Napolitano on 2nd Amendment (written after Orlando

Post by Griff »

Thanks, that was refreshing. So obvious that it shouldn't need saying... but apparently it does.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

It was a crowded night club -- would have been hard for a responsible shooter to get a clear shot. But if the nearest 6 people would have just tackled him it would have been over quickly. No football players at all in that crowd? All basketballers? in 300 people? Hard to comprehend.

That said, the judge does a fine job of presenting his logic. As usual.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

earlmck wrote:... No football players at all in that crowd? All basketballers? in 300 people? Hard to comprehend...
Neither. Remember the kind of club it is.

They all play poke...err...'im...

The shooter wouldn't have lasted 10seconds in a Biker Dyke Bar.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

At some point we may get to the condition we are now on airplanes. After 911, think about what happens on a plane when a passenger starts acting up. He gets pounced on by many other passengers. Everyone knows what can happen, and no one stands by idly but takes action. Hopefully we as a society take on that mentality when it comes to active shooters in other places. Force in numbers, charge and destroy...
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Yup, never mind government, never mind the constitution, never mind God, we have a natural right to protect ourselves from whatever predator is out there AND the right to travel, without having to ask for permission! (Sorry, just had to add that last bit in there. :oops: )
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Old Ironsights wrote:
earlmck wrote:... No football players at all in that crowd? All basketballers? in 300 people? Hard to comprehend...

Eh? Some are cops, firemen, war heroes, etc. OTOH some bigots are just XXXX.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BAGTIC wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

Eh? Some are cops, firemen, war heroes, etc. OTOH some bigots are just XXXX.
Pun...

Maybe not a good one, but one that applies to even my cop/firefighter/military gay friends...

And one that my gay friends would laugh at...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:
BAGTIC wrote:Eh? Some are cops, firemen, war heroes, etc. OTOH some bigots are just XXXX.
Pun...

Maybe not a good one, but one that applies to even my cop/firefighter/military gay friends...

And one that my gay friends would laugh at...
Same experience here with gays I know. Full spectrum of macho-to-wimpy....but the bears and sheepdogs among them (who would not only have 'done something' but would likely have been armed regardless of business signage or ordinance) wouldn't go in a bar like that very often. Kinda the equivalent of the scarcity of 'us' when it comes to hanging out in some 'singles bar' - most of us would rather be hunting, fishing, or working on our truck, and probably don't care to sit around drinking overpriced booze with a bunch of metrosexuals in some 'singles bar'. Hetero or homo, such places are more likely to be filled with sheep than bears or sheepdogs.

I try never to make comments about an ethnicity or lifestyle or religion that I wouldn't make around my friends in that category, but would certainly not miss an opportunity for a "poke-'im" joke either....all my gay friends would laugh; maybe I just associate with fellow 'insensitives' with smart-alek senses of humor though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Crowded room tactics.....I know this thread was not supposed to be instructional, but I've often considered different situations, and in a mall, or other busy venue, I'd like to think that I'd crouch down so that my line of sight was up and away from others...That little break in the action while the scum dropped a mag, and reload would be a perfect time to "do something". Remember, trained military at Ft Hood didn't respond all that well, either.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV