Savage Levergun Confirmation Request

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Savage Levergun Confirmation Request

Post by Pete44ru »

I think I know which model Savage 1899 carbine I just obtained from Cabela's - but would like confirmation from anyone who can do so.

I think I have a Featherweight carbine (made from 1901-1940) with a SN dating to 1914.

Here's the specs:

Condition: 90% (+/-).

Caliber: .303 Savage (marked on LH rear bbl side.)

Weight: 6lbs (empty)

Receiver: solid-frame (non-takedown), stamped "F" into front receiver wall next to the fwd magazine spool axle, drilled/tapped/plugged for receiver tang sight.

Barrel: 20" lightweight/ tapered round bbl, roll-marked "Model 1899" (not "Model 99") on LH side.

Sights: An integral short-length front sight ramp (pinned front sight blade), Marble's-type longleaf open rear sight with dual-stepped elevator.

Forend: Screw attached small/tapered Walnut, un-checkered, schnobble (knob) tip, the floating FE screw boss is in an underside female bbl dovetail.

Buttstock: Straight-grip, uncheckered Walnut to a horizontally-grooved steel shotgun butt plate, squared lever loop.

Do I have the real deal or not ?

KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Savage Levergun Confirmation Request

Post by KeithNyst »

Sounds like a 1899H. Is the lower line of the stock perch-bellied?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

No perch belly, here - straight as an arrow...... didn't the Model H have a medium-weight bbl (mine is very thin/lightweight) & the Winchester 94-like curved/smooth steel buttplate that also curved up over top of the stock's comb/heel ?

The buttstock on this rifle is flat, with a steel BP that's grooved horizontally.

Also, the receiver's stamped "F" on the front receiver wall (normally hidden by the forend), where many Savage 1899/99's are stamped with the model letter(s).

KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Far as I can tell from my Murray book there would have been only two models with 20" barrels in 1914 - the 1899F and the 1899H. The F was listed at 7.25lb and the H at 6lbs (with a lightweight, rapid taper barrel).

What is the serial number; at least the first 4 digits.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

SN 146xxx, corresponds to 1914 in my Savage Collector's History book by Jay Kimmel

The reason I thought it's a Featherweight is the letter "F" stamped into the front of the receiver (normally hidden by the forend) - the same way Savage stamped the model letter(s) of the 1953 99EG, I had a few years ago.

But it appears that I was wrong, and it IS a Model H.......... the barrel's a thin/fast taper, and I had thought it too light to be a Model H - Thanks !

KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

With that starting serial number, it could be 1913 or 1914. 1913 ended at 146500.

I also have a 1899H 30-30, 139xxx, that has a non-perch belly stock. It has matching serial numbers on the back of the stock, back side of butt plate and forearm. I had been told the stock was likely not original because all the collectors said the 1899H had perch-bellied stocks. If your's is non perch-bellied either, and mine with matching SN on the back of the stock, I'm starting to think differently.

Can you post a picture of your rifle showing the stock?

You also may want to check the SN stamped I've mentioned above.

Here is a picture of mine. Note that it has a takedown, which was an optional available on the 1899H.
Keith
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Then, it's definitely 1914 - the SN is higher than the 146,500 cutoff (but not by much - so, maybe the 1st week of January 1914).

I installed a reflex sight on it, until I get a chance at a proper/vintage tang peep sight.

Image Image Image

When I checked the butt end of the stock, there was no SN stamped into the wood - and the butt recess for the stock through-bolt is not just a small access hole, instead, it looks like it's been hollowed out by the factory, to about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Also, there is no stamping in wood of the rear end of the forend wood, SN or any other.

KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Very nice. That is a perch belly stock; slight but definitely perch belly. Lay a straight edge lining up the th front and rear,; you'll see the slight perch belly extend lower than the straight edge. Definitely an 1899H ... That hollowed out stock is the giveaway.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'd think that puts paid to it, Keith - Thanks !

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've had many 1899's/99's over the years and I have yet to be able to identify them by any barrel/frame markings. I just took the forfend off of a 1980's produced .358 and it's stamped "b" which is an early half rd./oct. rifle.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a like new 1950's 300 and it's marked cd. Its nothing like one of the more modern cd...which is a clip/magazine rifle...or nothing like the pre war cd which is a deluxe.

And I thought Winchesters and their variations were confusing.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Pete, I had that 99 in my hand and my wife said better wait until we hear from the accountant about her taxes.(She is self employed) A few days latter she said go get it. Looks like you got it! But I am glad for you! I have a lever gun or two but a 99 is on the list, I even have a Redfield peep stashed in case.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

EdinCT wrote:Pete, I had that 99 in my hand and my wife said better wait until we hear from the accountant about her taxes.(She is self employed) A few days latter she said go get it. Looks like you got it! But I am glad for you! I have a lever gun or two but a 99 is on the list, I even have a Redfield peep stashed in case.
Dang, Ed -- if you already have the Redfield sight you have the main ingredient for a fine set-up. They made jillions of 99's, of which a goodly portion are for sale at any one time. But they didn't make all that many Redfield sights for them, and those of us who have those tend to hold onto them with the intention of passing them, with some sort of '99 attached, along to grandkids one of these days.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

EdinCT wrote:Pete, I had that 99 in my hand and my wife said better wait until we hear from the accountant about her taxes.(She is self employed) A few days latter she said go get it. Looks like you got it! But I am glad for you! I have a lever gun or two but a 99 is on the list, I even have a Redfield peep stashed in case.

Thanks for leaving it for me, Ed :mrgreen:

Once I picked it up, it never left my hands, until the deal/sale was done (it had to be shipped to my FFL).

It was a diamond in the rough.

When I stopped by my FFL later that day, he mentioned that Cabela's was a PITA to deal with, but everything from my perspective went fast & smoothly - with especially thorough/thick foam padding cradling the rifle during UPS transit.