Horse herding question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Horse herding question

Post by AJMD429 »

Watching "The Broken Trail", and two guys are herding "300-500 head of horses" across the plains.

How is this even possible...??? Wouldn't the horses just scatter whenever they took a notion...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Horse herding question

Post by Griff »

It's easier than herding cats. As a herd of horses will have a "leader"... That's the only one you have to "herd". The rest will follow the leader.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

"Easier than herding ducks down stairs with a stick".
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

"Easier than herding ducks down stairs with a stick".
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Like Griff says, horses are generally a "piece 'o cake" to handle because of the single leader. But I never handled a herd that big: I can certainly visualize some challenges if that group was a mixture of studs and mares of all ages. I think it would work OK while you are moving though because even the horse that thinks she is the leader will follow another horse in the lead (that's a trick the "mustangers" used to get a wild bunch trapped).

The problems I visualize would come when you tried to stop for the night. Might have to keep moving 24/7?

I'm going to have to watch that "Broken Trail" I can see.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

It would be a lot of work, but one guy leading the lead horse, and the other encouraging stragglers to stay with the bunch would work. Once the herd is broken in, they are a lot more manageable and easier to keep together, same as cows, except horses are smarter and easier to manage. When you read about the ratio of cows to riders on the Texas cattle drives, they probably weren't that far off from that number, and those were feral longhorns.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I can tell you one way NOT to herd horses! On an ATV!
I watched a guy try that a couple of years ago and the horses thought it was a game and ran circles around him.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

crs wrote:I can tell you one way NOT to herd horses! On an ATV!
I watched a guy try that a couple of years ago and the horses thought it was a game and ran circles around him.
:lol:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

There's people that even herd with helicopters..........weirder things have been done.

As others noted, herd animals. No different than a couple sheepdogs and some sheep.
Captain Quigley
Levergunner

Post by Captain Quigley »

It has been my experience that herding horses is not all that difficult, being that you have the ability to use a little common (horse) sense.

Now try herding yearling steers and all that common sense goes out the window with the wash!

Some days they are a piece of cake and others, they interpret the cosmic winds as a reason to scatter to the nether regions of the universe just for fun.

I can remember gathering a pasture of 300 yearlings one day on a small ranch just west of Cheyenne. We drove them 10 miles from one side of the pasture to the other. As one cowboy was easing through the bedded heard to open the gate, well those critters just up and exploded and ran all the way back the 10 miles to the other side of the pasture. Well, we had us some fast horses, but we could not turn these youngsters before they reached the far end of the fence line. By then they were so tired, they just laid down for an afternoon nap.

After letting our horses blow for a bit, we had the Dickens of a time getting those youngsters up on their feet for the long march home.

That morning we stepped into the saddle at 4 am for a few hours of work by dawn. Actually we did not get out of the saddle until 9 pm that night.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Horses and cattle tend to want to be part of a herd, and that is in our favor when we try to make them go somewhere. If you count on the herd instinct too strongly, you will be in for a shock. Horses and cows have about the attention span of a 3 year old, and they tend to wander or stop, or even run at the worst possible time. Horses and cows are capable of being as stubborn and ornery as any human, and with their weight, are more capable of showing it.

Don't ever get the idea that a cowboy is stupid. If he can keep a herd of horses or cattle bunched, then he is smarter than the collective intelligence of the herd, and that is not easy.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost